TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 July 2013
Even though I thought this was another excellent Aardman effort I saw this film first at the pictures I think it takes another viewing to pick up all the components that make this so funny. The opening 20 minutes are exceptional and the combination of amusing storyline and the cast of brilliat characters voiced by a very strong collection of actors certainly makes you think this is as good as "Wallace & Gromit." However, there is so much detail that I found myself stopping the DVD to read some of the background information, whether it is the amusing categories on the "Pirate of the Year" application form, the names of the bars and shops in both Blood Island and London or the billboards that offer to get rid of unwanted urchins. Even if you pick up the Irish pirate (a brillaint Brendon Gleeson) wearing a Blue Peter badge, there is plenty more that is not readily apparent - D Y Ying the dentist, for example. The use of the map to illustrate the travels of the Pirate Captain is also a stroke of genius.

I would have to say that this knocks the spots off most Pixar films which tend not to be quite so sophisticated with the humour nor throw in the odd joke that younger kids might not understand but which will appeal to adults. The flow of jokes is practically non-stop and the action scenes are dealt with style and panache. The shear stupidity of the film is a delight and I love the references to the way that real-life characters like Charles Darwin, Jane Austen and the Elephant Man all manifest the storyline. Pirates of the Caribbean is obviously a point of reference too but that franchise of films were never as much fun as this effort. British humour at it's absolute best and amusing up to the very last credit.
on 20 January 2015
This animated comedy from the makers of Chicken Run has everything a crazy pirate, a cleaver monkey, a queen and even a dodo, sorry parrot.

Aided by his motley crew, an enthusiastic pirate captain ( Hugh Grant ) sails the seven seas and dreams of wining the coveted title of Pirate of the Year, awarded by The Pirate King ( Brian Blessed ). He's had years of humiliation and failed attempts and the other contestants Black Bellamy ( Jeremy Piven ) and Cutlass Liz ( Salma Hayek ) both think they can pillage the most booty and win the award. The captain's quest takes him and his comrades from the exotic shores of Blood Island to Victorian London's foggy streets. They also battle a clever, pirate hating Queen Victoria ( Imelda Staunton ) who has an evil hidden agenda for Polly and join forces with a young scientist named Charles Darwin (David Tennant) and his pet chimp Mister Bobo.

If you also throw in Peg Leg Hastings ( Lenny Henry ) you get a good idea of the comedy content of this film.

Rated 'U' 88 minutes long
review image
on 15 March 2013
The usual high Ardman standard, with plenty of jokes (both verbal and visual) which ensure enjoyment during repeated viewings.
I defy anyone to pick up on everything the first time around. The amount of detail in the character models and sets is amazing. It's really 3D without the glasses, because it's all modelled and not drawn. It's what Ardman does best and what makes them unique and exclusive. Their CGI based 'Flushed away' was OK. but not in the same league as their plasticine productions! Of course, we must not forget the contribution from the actors providing the voices. Without their distinctive talents tthe characters would have no real substance or personaility. This is an excellent family film which can be enjoyed many time.
on 18 February 2017
What a great fun film , forget the kids , if your looking for a film to watch try this ,its funny (not silly) with about 10 things to look at in the background while the stories going on up front . Ive seen a lot of '' clever Hollywood animation films'' this is the real thing . The join between claymation and CG is stunningly good , it was only on the commentary track where they point out which is which before you even notice you've been fooled ,its well done.
on 21 January 2014
Yep,well what did you expect ?! I loved it ! Watched it twice and enjoyed the extras too.Great film,excellent entertainment.
The chimp is especially good.He had me in stitches many times.The best example is when he falls through a trap door at 'The Palace'.
That had me roaring with laughter.Just recalling it makes me smile.Just brilliant.
The only thing I would have changed (apart from lengthening the running time) was at the end of the bath escapade.
Rather than end with the Surprisingly Curvaceous Pirate saying " anyone got a towel ?"
I thought it funnier if 's/he' just continued washing,now that she had the bath to herself again.
Apart from that,it was 99.99 % to my liking !
Ah,that chimp was very well cast ! All dishevelled at the door after the chase.Excellent comic taste.My cheeks are aching from smiling while I write this review.I want to watch it again......,and again.
on 13 November 2017
while the film its self is ok at best, I bought this more to see how it was made than for its contents. while the plot is ok its voice acting and production is amazing. I loved it. however the codes that came with it were unfortunately out of date and as such I was unable to redeem them. if you buy them you best hope you receive a modern copy.
on 30 January 2017
Amusing at times, but very weak plot. Animation well up to Aardman standard, and impressive sets, but 3D effect was poor - my wife watched whole movie without glasses. John Cleese would have made better pirate than Hugh Grant, but other voices fitted characters well.

I thought the best part of the movie was the amusing backdrop behind the credits at the end. I expect the audience at the cinema would have missed this as they rushed for the exits, but it's well worth watching.

The biggest downside of this DVD was the interminable advertising and logo-popping that has to be endured before getting to the Start Menu. Best to put it into the Blu-ray player 15 minutes before you want to watch it.

Overall, at less than five pounds, I suppose it was fair value, but I doubt it will be watched again.
on 14 February 2015
Slipped under the radar of most filmgoers, this piece of genuinely fine booty will provide adventure and laughs from the first to the last. With tons of visual gags, both main and background (a few watches may be needed to see them all, but I guarantee you won't regret it), a somewhat irreverent view of Victorian Britain (and science) and quality animation by Aardman, this fails to disappoint.

The disc has the main feature in brilliant high quality, an in-player game of dress-up, and a host of special features.

Truly a favourite, which I fell in love with right away.
on 15 February 2018
A terrific family film. Hugh Grant (though in cartoon form) is wonderful. The story is funny and good natured. The sophisticated humour will keep parents and grandparents happy, while the children sit absorbed. We made a very good choice with this film.
on 16 December 2012
I love animation. I do. I have grown up watching every Disney cartoon, and all of the Warner Brothers Looney tunes and so on. When I first saw Wallace and Gromit, I was thrilled at the claymation. The depth it have having actual figures animated. The shadows and interaction of solid objects was great, it added to the animation effect. Then there was Chicken Run, a feature film with all that is Claymation. The scripts appealed at several levels, making it entertaining for adult and child alike.
They strayed too far with the where rabbit film. It was too computerised and had lost its depth, in more ways than one.
But the Pirates is a joyful return to Aardman of old. Filmed on sound stages with plasticine models, beautifully detailed sets, clever scripts and great voice actors. The plot is engaging, the humour abounding, and the whole movie leaves you smiling.
I won't describe plot or stars, you can look at IMDB for that. But I will say that it's worth the money. The blu ray is beautiful in its depth of colour. The whole point of this movie is the backgrounds are just as interesting as the foregrounds. The shadow often hold details that are witty, posters on walls, things happening, clever characters.
The documentary is a wonderful insight into the makers behind the classics. They are as amusing to watch as the movie itself. Wonderfully eccentric, and extremely talented.
I for one am thrilled thy have returned to the beautifully detailed work they became famous for.