on 16 March 2013
I bought this to replace the plastic mount supplied with Celestron's 15x70 Skymaster Binoculars. The Celestron mount supplied is not particular robust (it is made from plastic, probably polycarbonate.) When using it, the binoculars oscillate from side to side and take quite a time to settle down, making it not particularly good for viewing the sky (the binoculars themselves are excellent quality for the price.)
This metal mount is more robust, the degree of oscillation is less, and the oscillation dampens down much more quickly. In my opinion, it makes the binoculars far more usable for sky viewing with a tripod.

It would be good if Celestron supplied a better quality mount with their binoculars.
Until they do, I'd recommend this as a good replacement.

Note added three months later;

Before you buy; Check the screw thread size of the mounting bush on your binoculars. This mount fits my Celestron 15x70 (bought in March 2013), but it doesn't appear to fit all binoculars (one example; a Celestron 15x70, bought in 2005). Also, see two examples of negative feedback in reviews below over thread size being incorrect for other binoculars. However, most customers are very happy, as am I.
21 people found this helpful
|33 Comments|Report abuse
on 14 December 2017
BOUGHT TO FIT OPTICRON WP PC DISCOVERY 10x42. APPEARS WELL MADE AND FINISHED. SCREWS SMOOTHLY ONTO THE BINOS AND MY TRIPOD.
UPDATE: JUST NOTICED THE ADAPTOR’S COLUMN FOULS THE BARRELS AND STOPS THE BINOS BEING FULLY FOLDED. IF YOU HAVE TO SET THE 10x42 TO THE ‘MINIMUM’ EYEPIECE DISTANCE I.E. FULLY FOLDED (approx 56mm), THIS ADAPTOR’S COLUMN STOPS THIS HAPPENING BY ABOUT 5mm. MY EYE DISTANCE IS 66mm AND THE MINIMUM WITH THIS ADAPTOR ON THESE BINOS APPEARS TO BE 61mm. OK FOR ME, BUT IF YOU HAVE BETWEEN 56-61mm DISTANCE BETWEEN YOUR PUPILS THEN YOU MIGHT NOT GET FULL FoV USING THIS ADAPTOR.
One person found this helpful
on 25 October 2017
Good value, although a simple design. Fits my Nikon Monarch7 8x42 binoculars perfectly and easily. Enables me to mount my binoculars on a tripod or monopod for additional stability. Very useful for prolonged birdwatching in my garden or in the field. I especially like the fact it has a second hole on the mounting plate which enables me to safely store the blanking cap from the binoculars and minimise the risk of it getting lost. I am very happy with this purchase.
One person found this helpful
on 4 August 2017
This item I bought hoping it would fit my binoculars as well as the lower end would fit the thread of my little-used Mono-pod. I'm delighted to say the threaded button on top fitted the front end of the central barrel of the binoculars and tightened a treat. The threaded socket on the lower horizontal tongue fitted the thread of the Mono-pod perfectly and so I have a very handy binocular rest to hold the 50x magnification binoculars steady easily,

It might have been possible to fabricate something DIY at home but it wouldn't have been so strong and there might have been problems finding one with a matching thread so - for just under 10 quid this made a lot of sense and saved a load of trouble. It's well finished and strong. Should give years of service.
on 6 April 2015
Fits my Olympus 10x50 DPS-1 binoculars perfectly with no wasted space.
This Opticron adaptor allows mounting them on a standard tripod head or the end of a monopod or stick with the normal 1/4" threaded screw fitting.
The fixing screw is captive so there is no worry about losing it.
Two holes at the standard spacing in the mount surface allow for the sprung locking pin on some heads to engage and prevent inadvertent slackening or panning.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 November 2012
Like at least one other reviewer of this product, I also bought it for use with a camera rather than binoculars.

The 60mm version makes a cheap-and-cheerful L-bracket for my DSLR. It is large and strong enough to mount the camera in portrait orientation using the tripod bush and thereby achieves better weight distribution than just turning the tripod ball head sideways. But of course you have to unscrew and remove it to switch back to landscape.

For those of you thinking of trying it out for this, check the dimensions first. The distance from the tripod screw (knurled knob in the picture) to the 90degree bend is approximately 7cm. The short leg has two 1/4-in female tripod screws, and at the other end it mounts onto the camera with a captive male 1/4-in screw (the one with the knurled knob). It's best to unscrew this and reverse it to mount the bracket onto the camera.

It fits my Canon 50D with or without battery grip attached and 10mm to spare. I can't say whether the ones smaller than 60mm would be suitable with a larger camera like this. DSLR's are often a bit front-heavy and when mounted on this bracket the camera can sag a bit, so I used a small piece of thin rubber sheet to make a friction mount between the bracket and the camera. Although not ideal, it's quite satisfactory for most uses, as long as your lens is not too heavy.

With these limitations in mind, I would recommend this to anyone who either cannot find an L-bracket to fit their camera, or does not want to pay the price for a 'proper' one.
3 people found this helpful
on 9 August 2012
***UPDATED 26 AUGUST 2012***
It also fits my Celestron 15 x 70 Skymaster binos no problem (I sent the Olympus binos back).

Original Review:
Bought this for my Olympus DPS I 10 x 50 binos, it fits great and is also a great fit for my 8 x 40 Helios Fieldmaster binos. Very substantial bracket, no danger of accidentally bending it. Can be used on a tripod or monopod no problem.
11 people found this helpful
|55 Comments|Report abuse
on 7 December 2017
Solid piece of kit and holds binoculars steady. On second use the piece which binoculars screw against fell off luckily found again and glued it back. Haven't tried it since. Disappointed this piece only lightly glued to main l-bracket
on 9 May 2015
Arrived on time but the thread on bolts attaching bracket to binoculars did not fit - It's not an easy fix - I'm considering options, but think it will be a return as I will need to drill bracket in order to fit a bolt that will fit. My thoughts are that supplier could so easily have supplied alternate size retaining bolts - Cost just pence - Think this will be a return to supplier item - Shame as it would have been good had the thread been comparable,
on 12 February 2017
Keeps Celestron 71008 25x70 Skymaster Porro Prism Binoculars safely mounted to my https://www.amazon.co.uk/Velbon-Videomate-538-Video-Tripod-Height/dp/B007X5HJVI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486940249&sr=8-2&keywords=videomate tripod.
Highly recommend.