Style Name: To 50mm|Change

on 16 March 2013
I bought this to replace the plastic mount supplied with Celestron's 15x70 Skymaster Binoculars. The Celestron mount supplied is not particular robust (it is made from plastic, probably polycarbonate.) When using it, the binoculars oscillate from side to side and take quite a time to settle down, making it not particularly good for viewing the sky (the binoculars themselves are excellent quality for the price.)
This metal mount is more robust, the degree of oscillation is less, and the oscillation dampens down much more quickly. In my opinion, it makes the binoculars far more usable for sky viewing with a tripod.

It would be good if Celestron supplied a better quality mount with their binoculars.
Until they do, I'd recommend this as a good replacement.

Note added three months later;

Before you buy; Check the screw thread size of the mounting bush on your binoculars. This mount fits my Celestron 15x70 (bought in March 2013), but it doesn't appear to fit all binoculars (one example; a Celestron 15x70, bought in 2005). Also, see two examples of negative feedback in reviews below over thread size being incorrect for other binoculars. However, most customers are very happy, as am I.
on 9 August 2012
***UPDATED 26 AUGUST 2012***
It also fits my Celestron 15 x 70 Skymaster binos no problem (I sent the Olympus binos back).

Original Review:
Bought this for my Olympus DPS I 10 x 50 binos, it fits great and is also a great fit for my 8 x 40 Helios Fieldmaster binos. Very substantial bracket, no danger of accidentally bending it. Can be used on a tripod or monopod no problem.
55 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 March 2013
It did take me a few minutes to work out how to attach it to my Olympus 10x50 binoculars but that's either my stupidity or the lack of instructions from Olympus.
However, it works fine. I had to remove a cap covering the front central hinge on my binoculars to reveal the threaded socket into which the silver bolt from the mount adaptor screws. Then the top of my tripod has a removable foot that screws into one of the two (could be either one) threaded holes on the opposite arm of the 'L' adaptor.
on 6 December 2011
Very pleased with this purchase, I can attach my powerfull binoculars to my camera tripod and go stargazing..great views of the moon, and Jupiter with its moons.
Very sturdy attachment which I can see lasting many years.
on 19 November 2012
Like at least one other reviewer of this product, I also bought it for use with a camera rather than binoculars.

The 60mm version makes a cheap-and-cheerful L-bracket for my DSLR. It is large and strong enough to mount the camera in portrait orientation using the tripod bush and thereby achieves better weight distribution than just turning the tripod ball head sideways. But of course you have to unscrew and remove it to switch back to landscape.

For those of you thinking of trying it out for this, check the dimensions first. The distance from the tripod screw (knurled knob in the picture) to the 90degree bend is approximately 7cm. The short leg has two 1/4-in female tripod screws, and at the other end it mounts onto the camera with a captive male 1/4-in screw (the one with the knurled knob). It's best to unscrew this and reverse it to mount the bracket onto the camera.

It fits my Canon 50D with or without battery grip attached and 10mm to spare. I can't say whether the ones smaller than 60mm would be suitable with a larger camera like this. DSLR's are often a bit front-heavy and when mounted on this bracket the camera can sag a bit, so I used a small piece of thin rubber sheet to make a friction mount between the bracket and the camera. Although not ideal, it's quite satisfactory for most uses, as long as your lens is not too heavy.

With these limitations in mind, I would recommend this to anyone who either cannot find an L-bracket to fit their camera, or does not want to pay the price for a 'proper' one.
Fits my Olympus 10x50 DPS-1 binoculars perfectly with no wasted space.
This Opticron adaptor allows mounting them on a standard tripod head or the end of a monopod or stick with the normal 1/4" threaded screw fitting.
The fixing screw is captive so there is no worry about losing it.
Two holes at the standard spacing in the mount surface allow for the sprung locking pin on some heads to engage and prevent inadvertent slackening or panning.
on 19 September 2013
Sturdy, well made and worth the money paid. However if purchasing for Barr & Stroud Sierra(or Similar) make sure you purchase some M6 or 1/4 inch nylon washers at the same time as the depth of thread is not compatible. Also knurled ring is slightly to large (for these Bino's) and consequently scuffs the casing when attaching. Happy with the quality of the product but a pity full dimensions of item are not shown on listing, as not immediately compatible with my kit. Would probably have gone for something different.
on 13 March 2012
Bought this mount hoping it would be much sturdier than the one supplied with my 15x70 bins. It certainly lived up to my expectations and does not wobble about like my originl one did - great improvement! All I need to do now is upgrade my tripod.
on 3 September 2014
I like the L tripod - its sturdy - but I did not need it.
Amazon fooled me into buying this item - when in fact when I received the binoculars I had purchased from Amazon there was a L mount tripod already included. So the purchase of this tripod was unnecessary.
Be careful of the " what others also purchased " line in the website when you purchase.
on 9 May 2015
Arrived on time but the thread on bolts attaching bracket to binoculars did not fit - It's not an easy fix - I'm considering options, but think it will be a return as I will need to drill bracket in order to fit a bolt that will fit. My thoughts are that supplier could so easily have supplied alternate size retaining bolts - Cost just pence - Think this will be a return to supplier item - Shame as it would have been good had the thread been comparable,