Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 18 November 2011
Words from one of the finest female lyricists of the 70's and music by one of the finest female singer/songwriters of the 21st century...
If you're coming to this album from as a fan of Sandy / Fairport, or as a fan of Thea, you will not be dissapointed.
Sandy's beautiful, and at times tortured, lyrics are beautifully and sympathetically set to music by Thea.
It's a magical combination of two of music's great talents, and it is a great album !
on 13 November 2011
This isn't difficult to review: it is beautiful. Setting music to the lyrics of Sandy Denny, Thea Gilmore has produced an album of songs that act both as elegy and eulogy 33 years after the tragic death of Denny. Gilmore employs quite lavish orchestration at times to perhaps revisit the sound of the seventies a la Sandy, but the voice is her own - rather than imitation - and it is mature, full and gorgeous. Wonderful harmonies too. As has been noted by other reviewers, the closing song 'Georgia' has a heightened poignancy in that it serves as a lullaby for the daughter Sandy never really got to know. The lyrics overall are notably melancholic and Thea Gilmore must take huge credit for producing so much beauty with these, for example 'Long Time Gone'.
on 30 January 2012
........then how many does this beautiful album convey? OK, it is words, lyrics, Sandy Denny's lyrics but put those together with Thea Gilmore's music and a sympathetic group of musicians and the sum becomes so much more even than the considerable sum of its parts. This is a truly stunning album which more than does justice to the jottings and notes left by Sandy. I was going to pick out individual songs from this collection but I can't because to do so would suggest there was something lesser about the others. And there isn't, they all stand equally.
If you're in even half a mind whether to buy this, don't - just click the button and get it.
on 8 May 2012
I know next to nothing about Thea Gilmore but I cut my folk teeth listening to Sandy Denny, first with Fairport and later with Fotheringay and her solo projects.

While Thea doesn't have Sandy's voice, she is still a pretty fine singer, with more range and variety than some of the darlings of modern folk (e.g. Kate Rusby). I guess it would be inevitable that at least parts of some songs would sound like Sandy, but I also detect Joni Mitchell, Sarah McLachlan (esp. "Pain in my heart") and even Karen Carpenter ("Goodnight"). Maybe some of these influenced Thea; or maybe it's just coincidence (or my ears!) Whatever the case, if you enjoy listening to these ladies (as welll as Sandy), I think you'll find this album really pleasing as well.

For me, the top tracks are the opening "Glistening Bay" and "Frozen Time", which really do sound (as another reviewer has suggested) like Thea has been channeling Sandy's spirit. That said, the entire album is pretty damn excellent; and at only 36 minutes long you'll be playing it over and over.

Enjoy!
on 31 May 2012
Putting together this collection of songs from the notes and jottings of the late great Sandy Denny would be a daunting prospect for anyone. Thea Gilmore has made a very creditable effort, but her voice lacks the dynamism needed to do justice to the material and the choices of music are a bit samey (sorry horrible word). Wanted to like it more than I do!!
on 4 May 2012
As a huge fan of Sandy Denny's music I was prepared to be disappointed by this offering. However, despite my misgivings I am absolutely delighted by Thea Gilmores' interpretation of Sandy's lyrics. Some of the tracks could well have been Sandy! high praise indeed I know. One track for me summed the whole album up. Although Thea Gilmore captures the voice and music of Sandy throughout the 10 beautiful tracks one song in particular "Frozen Time" made the hairs on my neck bristle. Thea Gilmore has much to be proud of with this brilliant Album. "Don't Stop Singing" is a triumph.
on 10 May 2012
Well, I have played this over and over. The songs are amazing, typical Sandy Denny.
The whole album has real texture and is musically excellent. I think Thea Gilmore
is really talented and I can't believe I have not seen or heard of her before. I go
to lots of festivals and hope to see her at one soon.
on 8 June 2015
This is a wonderful tribute to the great Sandy Denny. Thea Gilmore is probably the only singer/songwriter who could do justice to Sandy's lyrics and she has done so sympathetically but overlaid with her own identity. I love this album.
on 1 January 2012
In a word - stunning.

And if "Georgia" doesn't bring a lump to your throat, well...

The album is a masterpiece, thanks to the lyric writing skills of Sandy Denny and the interpretation and voice of Thea Gilmore. I'd quite like to hear a stripped down version, though.
on 3 December 2011
I do not count was qualified to comment how these songs compare with Sand Denny's back catalogue, but I am a big Thea Gilmore fan and I really love this album. It's not exactly the same as her self-penned songs and whether she's tried to copy Denny's sound and feel, I really don't know. But as an addition to my Thea Gilmore collection, I am more than happy