TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 June 2015
The reason I bought this cooler is I needed improved CPU cooling in my Mini ITX case, and because the PSU was located a few inches above the CPU my options were very limited.

Because the heat sink in low profile it partially covers the first memory slot on my motherboard, this meant that I also had to buy low profile memory, standard memory modules are too high and would have prevented the heatsink from seating.

Supplied with the heatsink is a 12cm slim profile fan which clips on to the heat sink with a couple of very thin wire like clips. The clips are quite fiddly to fit, and they don't offer much support, the fan can still move around even with the clips in place.

The problem for me though was the fan noise. In a small case with restricted air flow the CPU tends to get very hot, especially when running CPU intensive applications or games. This means the fan often runs at 100%, and it's pretty loud. Also, it doesn't do a great job of keeping my CPU cool, temps could easily reach 65 degrees C when gaming.

The cooler didn't last long. I removed it and fitted a Corsair H60 closed loop radiator instead, it's much quieter and it does a much better job of cooling. When gaming the CPU now barely reaches 36 degrees C which is a huge improvement. The radiator also enabled me to increase the overclock from 4.4Ghz to 4.7Ghz.

Space permitting, I would recommend the liquid cooling alternative to anyone who wants quiet & effective cooling, especially if you want to overclock your CPU.
on 3 February 2014
Before Christmas I built a media centre the case is quite low profile 90mm so I needed a low profile cooler.

The cooler fits a FM2 socket I believe this is the same a FM1 dimensionally the outer box also mentions FM2

It also fits LGA1366/1156/1155/1150/775
AMD FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2

The instructions a easy to follow diagrams are a bit small.(use the FM1 for FM2)

Fitting took about 10mins, I had to remove MB as my case has no cutout on the back you will also have to remove the OEM processor plastic mount 4 screws and they are off.

My processor is a AMD A8 5600K Black Edition 3.6GHz Socket FM2 which I rated at 100w this cooler easily coped with it on full load. On idle the temperature drops to about 32C air temp is about 22C so thats pretty good, fan was running at about 770rpm. My motherboard is a MSI FM2-A55M-E33 AMD FM2 Micro ATX.

After fitting the fan was running at 1600RPM you may need to enable the thermal profile in your bios and give the minimum RPM I use 12.5% and a thermal target of 60c. This means the MB will attempt to keep the cpu at 60C and will ramp up the rpms accordingly. My system is now virtually silent.

To sum up a great cooler much better (efficient) than the standard one supplied and very quiet too.
on 12 May 2013
I thought I would try this one out because I have used the double fan one before but it took up a lot of space.
This one is a lot lower and less intrusive which enables my hands to get to the memory modules more easily when I need to upgrade them, all in all a very nice well constructed Heatsink and Fan assemble.

p.s. This is attached to an 8 core AMD processor under full load and only reaches 50 degrees Celsius max.
on 28 January 2014
Great cooler, I'm happy with the performance, unfortunately on my Asrock Mini ITX board it blocks the PCi-E slot.

My fault of course - but I just assumed any cooler would accommodate a fairly standard slot spacing, since you'd generally need this cooler for a more powerful CPU, and if you want a more powerful CPU it's also likely you may want a more powerful GPU.
on 2 April 2014
This is a great heatsink-fan which I have cooling an AMD Phenom II x4 Black Edition 3.2 Ghz which has a TDP of 125w. Cooling is excellent, and even with a hot cpu such as the Phenom, it runs quietly (using Smart fan in the bios helps a lot). One thing I would caution is that this really is a low profile HSF, and although there is just enough height between the fan and the first ram slot, you should install the RAM stick in the first slot before fitting the HSF, assuming you need to use the first ram slot. All motherboards are different, and if you have 4 ram slots and only use two, it wouldn't be a problem. I have this in a motherboard with only two ram slots, and now that I'm in a position to put 2x2gb of ram into it, I'll have to take out the motherboard, remove the HSF, install the ram, then re-seat the HSF and put the motherboard back in. A pain. But the low profile design is excellent if you have a small or low profile case.
on 31 August 2014
Almost perfect, it works quite well, getting my low end 4th Gen Pentium down in temps.

Temps:
Stock:
Idle- 40*c Load- 55*c

M4:
Idle- 30*c Load- 40*c

Pro's:
-Not very tall so great in small cases or maybe a media PC.
-Includes small, but useful amount of Thermal Paste.
-Almost silent fan.

Cons:
-The mounting bracket wasn't strong for me, may differ for you.
-There is minimal difference between 'Silent' and 'Full Speed' fan operating modes, may differ for you.
-I found the instructions unclear, but that's just me.

Overall:
Great cooler, works very well for the price, fan is great and does exactly what it says on the tin. Not too keen on the metal brackets holding the fan to the cooler, but they work so hey ho. Highly recommend if you dont need temps dropped significantly, but you're more concerned with lower noise.
on 14 January 2013
Love this cpu cooler glad coolermasters have made one that is low and sleek. Loving the black fan to match my sabretooth z77 board and easy to install, needs screwing into the black plate which you fix to the bottom of the motherboard first.

Works with intel 1155 socket.

Very quiet fan.
on 2 February 2014
I want a heat-pipe design heat-sink not only disperse the heat away from my CPU, but also cool the components around it. This heat-sink brought the temperature on my i5-4570 to 36C idle, 53C under load, what's more, it also bring down the heat on the CPU voltage regulator from 65C to 43C. It does so silently, almost like a fan-less heat-sink.

There are 2 problems however:

1. This heat-sink is huge. And will very likely to obstruct your Ram. I'm using G.Skill Ripjaws and the heat-sink (fan section) just sat on top of one. Right now its fine, but it I was to get the that ram out, I would have to take off the fan or the heat-sink out completely.

2. Installation requires you to get to the back of your motherboard. For some people, it would means you'll have to uproot your motherboard.
on 10 May 2014
Product looks well built and designed, with one exception: for Intel CPUs the cooler mounts by pushing down metal plugs from above, and the plugs are quite long and can't be removed from the mounting brackets. I tried to install this in a compact case but the space behind the motherboard was too small. So I ended up returning it and replacing it with a Scythe where the cooler is mounted with screws from below the motherboard.

For most people this will not be an issue, but if you want to install it in a compact case with an Intel CPU then you might want to double-check that you have a fair bit of clearance behind the motherboard.
on 1 October 2014
Fantastic cooler. Quiet (I mean super quiet) and keeps my FX-8350 nice and cool. I recommend this if you do not want to purchase a tall CPU cooler. Beware taller Ram heater spreaders may cause a problem trying to fit the cooler, however normal or standard heat spreaders will allow the cooler to fit just fine.