Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 22 December 2012
This is an interesting movie that could also be a 4 man (3 men, 1 woman) play. A businessman (Craig Conway) hires a detective (Sean Pertwee) to kidnap his wife's lover (Martin Compston) and bring him to the proverbial warehouse so he can rough him up.

He also kidnaps his wife (Kierston Wareing) for good measure. The movie then takes a number of twists as the four interact. Who is really in charge?

The detective likes movies. Good acting. Good dialogue.

Parental Guide: Heavy swearing. no sex or nudity.
on 28 April 2016
Right, firstly: Without doing any of that whole "spoilers" nonsense, I have to say - I really do think this film is fantastic!!!! Once again Sean Pertwee delivers a stellar performance (oh and that voice!! Swoon!!!) Ok so there are only 4 characters, which does kinda give it that "on stage" vibe, but I feel that simplicity just adds to its charm; despite its editing not having quite the sharp-focussed, raw and darkly gritty edge you'd normally find in a British flick. Secondly, one of the reviews I've just read criticises the film by saying it's just 2 men shouting at each other, but I honestly think that when you listen to all that "shouting" (there are actually 4 of them by the way - the clues in the title), the individual personalities of the characters are, not only written well, but acted out well too. Adding to all that more twists than I have fingers on my right hand, the whole film hits the proverbial spot. A simple, uncomplicated, recipe, with an extra spoonful of the sublimely unexpected!!! ENJOY IT!!! (I know I did!) Thanks
....FOUR stars given freely to this taut, gritty, little English thriller, featuring the under-rated & dynamic actress KIERSTON WAREING (of 'EastEnders', 'TopBoy', 'The Holding' and 'LoveBite') the film is a well-acted/directed/written low-budget gem, with sexy Kierston giving another solid, reliable performance as a bitter, potty-mouthed, cockney gal whom finds herself kidnapped, then hurled head-first into this fateful night's many 'twists-and-turns', all shaded with hues of violence, double-cross and revenge ,F0UR' is solid viewing for those who like a tale where characters aren't all that they appear to be...
on 16 May 2012
Four: it was one of those moments when you're thumbing through a mates DVD collection looking for a borrow and you read the blurb and think, "Okay, I'll give it a punt," expecting not very much and then being pleasantly surprised at how unbelievably good it actually is.

As the title suggests, this movie is about four people - and that's the entire cast - who have a connection. A businessman pays a dodgy private detective to lift his wife and her lover and take them, hooded and bound, to a derelict factory out of the way of prying eyes so he can exact his revenge, punish his wife and seek satisfaction. Sounds a lot like 44" Chest, doesn't it? Well, that's what I thought, too, so I was pleasantly surprised to find it's nothing like it.

The plot pans out entirely within the derelict factory - there are no other locations - and skips along nicely as twist follows turn, cross follows double-cross and wifey turns out to be not what she seems as a very simple premise is very cleverly played out. Four was definitely well worth that punt!
on 19 April 2014
I found this to be featured on two man too busy shouting at one another, in a warehouse wanting to take control of their situation which of course was to kill the man's wife and her lover. One gets his hands dirty while the other keeps his hands clean, somewhere down the track my interest went astray. Because there was nothing to keep me interested so off it went to another movie. I rated this a B grade. As there wasn't much to comment about and if there isn't anything on telly I might suggest this but I don't recommend it, So sit and suffer with your other options and do your best and relax as this movie won't help. I will say it is different and there is a little twist at the end of the show which would be the best part of the movie all the way through. You might find you like it but it's not my type of show, go for it and see for yourself. Enjoy!
A simple film about revenge? This is anything but simple from the early moments of the film the questions of identity and understanding indicate we are in for a few plot twists before the night is out; and twist away they do, well worth waiting for the end with excellent performances all round. 44 Inch Chest without the intrusive star turns.

I watched this again (October 2015) and if anything it was better. All the players grasp their roles so well (and no messing about with a cracking female role here) so that the original plot twist held be off for about an hour before I smelled a rat. The looks on the faces of the Husband and the Heavy when they found themselves outflanked were wonderful.
on 21 December 2011
I must admit, when I heard that this film had been made for £100k all in, and shot on one location in 17 days straight, I lowered my expectations accordingly. I needn't have, the script is taught, the dialogue is genuinely amusing with plenty of humour and for the most part the editing is sharp; while the plot unfolds revealing a different layer with each twist... The ending delivers a great pay off too.

Pertwee brings real menace to the roll of the sinister detective and all of the characters are well observed.

The broadsheets were hard on this film, I recommend you watch it and decide for yourself. It's a low budget British film, that may be reason enough for many support it, but I want to be entertained as well, and Four delivered on that score. Hence my 5 out of 5..

Watch it. And Watch out for debut film maker John Langridge, if that's hist first effort I can't wait to see what comes next!
on 11 November 2012
With pretty much one fairly empty set and a cast of four, this seems to have been written for the stage. I'll be blunt: the script is weak. It feels like it was penned by an adolescent fixated on 'Lock, Stock' and the like, with the use of shouted expletives standing in for both tension and humour at various points. Without giving too much away, it's one of those 'no-one is who you think they are' scenarios, except it just isn't clever enough to get away with it and suspend disbelief that these people wouldn't just have talked to each other (or argued with, or shouted at) and got the hell out of there. There's a creepy atmosphere, aided by Ms Wareing's make-up, that goes nowhere, so ultimately you're left with four very unpleasant characters you'd cross the street to avoid and wouldn't even bother to read about in the papers.

Anything good about it? Well the cast deserve better, and in the cases of Kierston Wareing and Martin Compston, they usually get it. Watch 'The Disappearance of Alice Creed' or 'Top Boy' for great performances in strong dramas, or equally 'The Line of Duty' and 'Fish Tank'. All much, much better than this.
on 28 September 2013
if you like thrillers then this is the one for you. i recommend you buy this because i really enjoyed it so much. big thank you to the seller and ill be buying from them again
Four is a highly original Brit thriller, featuring a cast of just well ermm four. Obviously low budget, it could have been rather dull, but the tight script, solid acting (most notably from Sean Pertwee) and intriguing way in which the dynamic changed from individual to individual drew me in and certainly held my interest for the 84 minutes running time. I kept wondering how the protagonists were going to work their way out of the labyrinthine mess and, when the denouement came, it was sharp and shocking if maybe not entirely convincing. I only guessed one of the twists along the way, which is poor for me.

Definitely worth a look.