on 7 May 2013
purchased in march 2011 for the start of the golf season. very happy with product. stopped using in october and did not use over the winter as a golf watch but used as a pedometer whilst walking or cycling.started using again the next april.
lost all the courses in may and called garmin support who asked me to push a couple of buttons to reset watch and then download s/w, courses again. all was ok for a couple of weeks, then watch started losing charge after 5-6 holes.
eventually could not charge watch. called support who asked me to reset, i queried this as the watch would not switch on to do. advised the reset would work without the watch on. support were very helpful but the only solution as my warranty was over the time was for me to send the watch to them and they would send me refurbished watch for £63 with 3 months warranty.
thanks but no thanks i said i now have no faith in the watch and would not purchase another. placed in the rubbish bin
on 8 April 2011
This is just what an average golfer needs - distances in yards from your standing point to the center, middle and back of the green. It's a simple press-button action to select the course you are playing and the distances shown compare favourably to other devices. It's a very handy watch and odometer. Comfortable to wear, it certainly is a very good "golfing companion"
on 26 September 2011
For the last 2 years I have used the Golf Shot application on my iPhone to assess my yardages. I always found it to be good but it was a little slow to use and battery life was a real issue
My golfclub in their wisdom decided to outlaw the use of iPhone Apps ( because you can also get the weather details!!)so I needed to source an alternative and after looking at Sky Caddies and Bushnells decided to give this a go mainly because I thought it looked user friendly
I have been absolutely delighted with the Garmins performance (just returned from a golf trip to Portugal where it performed flawlessly
The only negative is the fact that it doesn't give yardages to bunkers/creeks etc but I knew this when I purchased it
It really is as simple as charging it up and using it and it is so comfortable to wear it's never the "faff" that you get with all other products
I'm off to Turkey in Nov and don't think Garmin have mapped their courses yet so I will probably have to revert to the Golf Shot for a final time
on 10 June 2011
Having purchased this watch to use on a golfing holiday I was disapointed to find the watch stopped working just before I left. I contacted Garmin whos respone to the problem was poor. They took days to reply to my emails and couldn't even promptly reply to an email of complaint about the situation. Finally I phoned their head office and was told I could return the watch by post(at my own cost) but they were out of stock and could not give me a date when a replacement would arrive. I contacted Amazon about the situation and they were excellent, replying immediately, offering a refund as the product was out of stock and arranging to collect the watch.

As for the watch when it was working I would say my feelings were mixed. It does everything you expect of it and the functionality was good. The downsides are the battery life is poor, it will work for about 27 holes at most before switching off and the finish looks "plasticy" and cheap.
on 17 October 2011
There are numerous very good reviews for this watch but I was unlucky with my purchase. The waterproof seal has failed three times and so I have had to send the watch back twice and I am about to send it back for the third time. Garmin have been very good about it but the watch has spent more time with them since I bought it than it has with me. The idea of a GPS in a watch for golf is a good one but I think there is some inherent design flaw with the waterproofing process. Three failures in 6 months is not good. So if you buy it I hope you get one that works as it should.
on 3 December 2011
A good product apart, in my case, for poor battery life after 9 months use. It just about lasted a four hour round when new, but now most rounds gives low battery warning after 12 holes. So Not much use now

Also the Garmin promise to reply to email queries within three days was not met in my case. No reply at all!
Surely the battery in this device should give more than 9 months usage (2 games a week).

When operatingt properly it does what it claims in terms of yardages, most courses preloaded, good odometer, compact enough to use as an everyday watch. A super golf aid if the battery can be sorted.
on 28 September 2012
After 3 weeks use I'm quite pleased with my Garmin S1 Approach Golf GPS/watch, it is pretty accurate on my home course (to within a couple of meters) and on the two other local courses that I've tried it on. However the advertising is optimistic on battery life in GPS mode, I'd say it was OK for 27 holes, but 36 without a recharge is pushing the battery to its limits! There are a couple of other things that can be a little annoying. Firstly, it sometimes switches off from GPS mode for no apparent reason, so then you have to go through the procedure of locating satellites and choosing the course again before you can continue play. Also, it doesn't always recognise when you've walked onto the next tee, so you have to manually forward the hole number. I hope that helps those of you who are considering buying it.
My main gripe with Laser rangefinders is that when one is used it seems to interupt the flow of play. With the Garmin, almost nobody has noticed I have it on my wrist, or that it is a rangefinder. Pretty accurate - I'd say it will give you the ranges about +\- 2 yards. And that is good enough for me considering it is giving you a number to the centre, front, and back of the green. And if you want it more accurate than that you must be a top ten tour player because I can't hit to to a 4 yard target circle.

It also usefully can do shot length measuring, which is useful both on the course and practice ground for nailing your club shot lengths. (And you can switch it to tell the time as well.)

Courses are preloaded and seem to be all there. It lasts two rounds switched to GPS mode but a lot longer if you switch to just telling the time. The charger works well once you have figured out the four pin connection method it uses rather than a socket - the way this connects is a but fiddly, but it looks like it would be impossible to break - so the watch and charging process is pretty rugged.

I just cannot imagine using a laser now - or being without it - it is so useful, and constantly surprises me with accurate distances I would have never guessed - even within 50 yards of the flag. ( Just don't forget it is measuring to the centre, front, back, and not the actual flag).

Doesn't give you measurements to hazzards like lakes, bunkers and trees etc. So you might still wantto get a course map ona new course you are visiting. But with a map AND the Garmin you are retty much as good as having a local caddy with you. On the other hand if you were really serious about a round you would have walked it before the day and made notes about that sort of stuff (just like the pros' caddies do.)

Unbotrusive to use in a golf match, easy to read in any weather including brighht sunshine, it self organises so you normally don't have to do anything when walking to the next hole - but the up and down buttons will correct it should it still think you are playing the last hole or another nearby one. Dead easy. Lasts two rounds on a full charge. Personally I cannot see why you would want to pay more for the extra features on the more expensive models - this one is perfectly OK. I'd find more features way too distracting - it will take you a couple of rounds to get used to having its information on your wrist instead of pacing stuff out, or doing whatever you did before to work out distances, but after that you won't want to be without it.
on 26 July 2015
Bought this watch for my husband for Christmas - he loves it. Great as an everyday watch as well as all the functions he needs for his golf days.
However BE WARNED - the watch strap on this not replaceable and it does eventually crack and split then break. This is not covered by warranty and there is no way to replace the strap as it is moulded to the watch facing :-(
There are lots of disgruntled forums online about the limited life of the watch and now he has to hang this from his golf bag by a cheap loop - so not really all its cracked up to be. I believe the S3 strap can be replaced but Garmin do not supply them.
I suspect this would last longer if it is only worn for golf a couple of times a week.
on 30 September 2011
The Approach S1 is everything I hoped it would be. It has completely removed any guesswork involved in approach shots to the green.On my own course I have found the 150yd markers to be as much as 16yds out, although whether this is the fault of a land survey measurement, or the satellite's measurement of what constitutes the centre of an irregularly-shaped green I do not know, but my approach club selection has been revolutionised. Better golfers have said the S1 is not necessary - maybe not for them (?) - but one such quietly requested his distance to the green from me yesterday!