VINE VOICEon 12 July 2012
After purchasing a LG television set for the first time and being completely bowled over with it, I decided it was now time to upgrade to Blu-ray as well. I primarily bought the player to play DVD's and at the time of review I don't actually own any Blu-ray discs. With normal DVD players becoming increasingly harder to find I opted for the Blu-ray to effectively have the best of both worlds.

Anyway, on to the actual player itself. The design is sleek and doesn't take up to much space at all and fits in really well with my media setup. One of the main selling points for me was the 1080p up scaling of your old DVD's. Whilst this is becoming more commonplace admittedly, the player has had no major issue for me so far. There are minor issues with playback of some DVD's with infrequent jumping which only lasts a second or so. The firmware can be updating directly from LG's website, although thus far I've found the process fiddly and complex. On the other hand, I would emphasise "minor" as that is all the issue really is.

I'm most pleased with the operation and how quiet it is when playing discs. Up until I bought this player I was using my Xbox to play DVD's and the whirring fans really do impact your enjoyment. I'm happy to say that there's no such problem here.

One of the few drawbacks that you could place on it, is that there is no internet connectivity as you will see in other players. This was a non factor for me as I just wanted Blu-ray player to play my discs which it does really well. The remote could also be better with it's tiny buttons but you do get used to it.

There are no particular standout features with this Blu-ray player. However, for the price what you're getting has everything you would really ever need apart from the internet. It's reliable and a worthy purchase. 9/10.
on 19 June 2012
I ended up buying two of these,(one for a friend), because, at only £50 each they are so affordable. The size is so unobtrusively small, it fits just about anywhere, and is excellent quality. Of course at this price it is "basic", but that is all I want. I am not interested in 3D, as I do not want to watch everything through a pair of goggles, and though it does not have all the "features" that the more expensive models have, it has all I actually want, which is to play, at full 1080p, the Blu-ray movies from Love-film, which come through my letter box at the rate of two, or three, a week. It will also play DVDs,up-scaled to 1080p and flash drives, and external hard drives, through the USB port, though I have not tried that yet. With this available at this price, it makes no sense to buy a DVD player.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 April 2012
I bought this 2D Blu-ray Player and a £5 HDMI cable to use with a 27" 1920 x 1080 LG M2762DP-PZ.AEK 27 inch Wide Screen Full HD TV LCD Monitor - Black Glossy.

I have used it now for five or six weeks. For about £275 I have got a quite superb setup for a small room / study. Picture is fantastic with Blu-Ray disks. The only grouses I have are that the remote controls for the two devices are not 100% interchangeable and that no HDMI cable was supplied.

However, I would unhesitatingly recommend this combination.
on 2 July 2012
The LG BD650 2D Blu-ray Player packs a punch for the price, having linked it up to my 42inch hd LG TV it works well,some reviews say it takes time to load but i found it to be acceptable. the only negative point i could make is for the usb input,as it doesn't play every file extension under the sun,however it plays what i need.
I did update the firmware for it, which was very easy through the usb interface.
I give it 5* for price,ease of use,sleek design and fast delivery to the door.
If you're looking for a 42" tv, take a look at 42inchtvs.info for some advice.
Happy viewing !
Product Features

BD Profile 1.1
External HDD Playback
HD grade movie file playback
1080p Full HD movie

Digital Audio Output: SPDIF & HDMI
Re-Encoder - DTS Only: Yes
LPCM Conversion (DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD): Yes - SPDIF & HDMI
AV Format
Video Format: MPEG2, MPEG4 AVC (H.264), SMPTE VC1 (VC-9), DivX, DivX HD, MKV, AVC Rec, AVCHD
Audio Format (Bitstream): LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD MA, MPEG 1/2 L2(PCM only), MP3(PCM only), WMA(PCM only)
Audio Format (Decoding): LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS2.0+Digital Out, MPEG 1/2 L2, MP3, WMA, AAC
Playable Format

Wide SMPS: Wide: 110~240V 50/60Hz
Accesssories
RCU / Battery: U2-1 / Yes
on 24 June 2012
Really good value. Does what I would expect, even more in some cases. Easy to setup in my parents' home. With some simple instruction my father has no trouble in playing CDs or DVDs, he does not have any Blu-ray discs. I was surprised to see a USB port on a unit in this price range but it shows stills, plays MP3 files and a number of video formats from a usb device. This can be a flash memory device or an external disc as long as no special driver is required.
on 29 January 2012
A really good BluRay player for the price.
The reproduction of BluRay discs on a 1080 TV is excellent, and sound is amazing through a high-end audio system.
The inclusion of a USB input is good for playback of audio and pictures, as well as video.
The only (minor) downside is there is no separate Digital sound output, so DTS or Dolby CD's can't be fully exploited, although the analogue output gives a very acceptable result.
on 13 May 2012
Initially I was really pleased with this DVD player, it was easy to set up and easy to operate. Our old player had died, and with 4 kids we go through quite a few dvd's, so we decided to upgrade to a blu ray, this was a cheap option to do so. Sadly after less than 12 weeks it too has died, totally unable to read any dvd's. I have had to send this back to Amazon, I am getting a replacement, and i hope that the first machine breaking down was just a blip as i didnt really have any other problems with it when it was acutally working. I am slighly worried that the new machine will go the same way, as now that i have read some of the other reviews, I see that i am not the only person who has had a faulty machine, but time will tell
on 3 April 2012
I needed an inexpensive blu-ray player for the kids tv room and this fit the bill perfectly. It plays all the discs they throw at it, and it is not overly complicated. What makes it perfect is that it is cheap enough for me not to be two precious about how well they look after it. If it lasts more than a year with the amount of discs the kids play I will feel that i got a complete bargin.
on 9 July 2012
This was an impulse purchase after having seen the price drop to below £60. It has turned out to be a great purchase, it was wanted for the bedroom to replace a dvd player that was ok but with a growing number of blu rays in my collection I wanted to be able to view them in bed, but did not want to spend a fortune. This fit the bill, the set up was easy and the quality of the picture is excellent, there is little to no noise that I can discern from the player during playback. The size is what makes this such a great purchase, it was very small by comparison to my main blu-ray player and to due to this takes up so little room. I can recommend getting one of these purely for the price alone.
on 14 November 2012
I bought this Bluray player as I wanted one that was decent but on the cheaper side as I have only recently started buying Blurays (I actually wanted this in preparation the for Avengers coming out on Bluray!).

Sadly, my first player was faulty and, whilst the picture was fine, it emitted a very high pitched noise (in the sound range that gives you a headache). Amazon were their usual good selves and I was able to return that one.

I have since got another of the same player and it works perfectly. A little clunky when it is loading the disc at first, but then I find it is fine. Plus no high pitched noise now! The picture is fantastic - we watch films on a 40 inch TV and I have no complaints!