on 17 December 2015
This book is an absolute bible. It is written in an easy-to-follow manner and gives you a good grounding in basic cooking techniques but also gives you the inspiration that you too can cook the things that were done on the Great British Bake-Off!
It doesn't just give you a list of ingredients and say "Make the pastry", it doesn't even say "Make the pastry as shown on page x..." which has you leafing through the book with floury hands and then trying to remember which page you started on! For each recipe that needs pastry, it will go through how you make it, from putting the ingredients into a bowl to having a beautiful cooked pastry shell, ready for whatever filling the recipe is all about.
Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood have included some challenges to have a go at and these too are accompanied by photographs at every step so that you know just what you are doing at each stage.
Throughout the book there are tips, either to make sure that your ingredients are ready for use (like mixing coconut milk before measuring it, since it separates on standing) or offering ideas of how you can modify the recipe (e.g. for a loaf "For a change, sprinkle the top of the glazed loaf with sesame seeds or porridge oats, even oatmeal."
Throughout the book are the "Best of the Bake-Off" recipes from the 2011 season on which this book is based, so if you fancy making anything you saw from Earl Grey Cupcakes to a Limoncello and White Chocolate Croquembouche then the recipes are here in the book with plenty of detail of how to do it.
I love this book.
on 12 January 2017
I bought this book cause I also like the reality show and it is better than expected.
So many new idea, so many different desserts to make. All very well explained with pictures to make it even more easy for you.
Cakes, biscuits, teatime threats, bread, pastry, patisserie, puddings, .... its all there.
I usually choose a recipe then try baking it till I think its 100% but gonna have a hard time choosing now.
Really recommend this book and now I want the other books in this series also
on 12 December 2013
I read the other reviews, and dithered on and off for a week or two about this book, and eventually decided to try it ....and I am glad I bought it...lots of the old recipes jump out at you from the pages as you recall the particular episodes from the series...but also some nice new ideas, to me, about other bakes etc....I would recommend that you try this book, its great and an easy read even if you cant be bothered to try anything at all right now...but I warn you....it wont be long before you start to venture into the kitchen and try these recipe ideas out, I love it and think you will too, or a relative you know that likes to dabble in the kitchen...
on 5 January 2012
I realllllllly love this book...its quite unique too in the fact of pictures, description and information. It would make a very good starter recipe book for a novice at baking but also for the even the more experienced its full of the shows favourite recipes. So if you watched it, then it's the perfect souvenir from the programme.

It's all very English, which I love too, dainty, pretty and then slab cakes. It gives you the skill level too and even says if it's ideal to use with kids which is a bonus for families.

A very colourful and thorough book which I enjoy and get a lot of use out of of. A must have for fellow bakers.
One person found this helpful
on 22 November 2011
Lavishly illustrated and clearly written, with loads of hints and tips, this book will bring you hours of fun and tempt you to try those delicious recipes you have never dared try. A good book to prop up in the corner of your working area in the kitchen, or to leave on a coffee table where guests will be keen to pick it up and ask which of the many hundreds of tasty cakes and pastries you are intending to cook next. A conversation piece, if ever there was one. If you live outside the UK, like myself, you will soon learn how to produce some of those favourite dishes from home and bring them to people who have no idea how good some British food can be.
on 14 November 2016
I can't say that I'm really keen on TV tie-in books and products, and goodness knows, the #GBBO has generated no end of those; but this is one of the very first titles produced I believe, and full of really excellent recipes, including some from a few of the contestants themselves.
A thoroughly good book of baking.
on 20 September 2011
What a joy this book is! With its helpful tips and its detailed photographs and directions regarding more complicated processes such as pastry and bread-making it is a great companion to nervous bakers as much as it is to more confident ones. Although I bake a lot, I have learned a surprising amount about the alchemy that is involved in baking, helping me to achieve reliably good results.

The recipes are wonderful, mostly sweet, with fabulous cakes and biscuits but there are some wonderful savoury quiches and pies too.

Highly recommended for bakers old and new, specially at its current discounted price!
5 people found this helpful
on 13 May 2012
I love the variety of recipes in this book and a lot of them are great for the average home baker as opposed to being extremely fancy bakes no one would ever make in their home kitchen.
HOWEVER...

I have made 10 recipes using this book and each one has needed adjustment to the oven times (eg the perfect meringues needed 3 hrs, not 2 and sticky maple apple tray bake took 22 minutes not 30-35), ingredient quantities (eg 3 recipes have yielded double the amount of buttercream or filling required) and a couple even missed out a few steps that an inexperienced baker would be confused about.

While I love this book and have recommended it, gifted it and will continue to use it and try new things from it, I am wary and try to use some of my own baking knowledge.... Which is disappointing when a book has Mary Berry not only connected with it but on the front cover too!
3 people found this helpful
on 27 December 2016
Very good book, NOT the latest edition but I wanted recipes that were not too fancy or full of pistachios! Gave it four stars as I found it cheaper elsewhere after purchasing from Amazon.
on 17 January 2012
This book was purchased as a Xmas present and it didn't fail to impress. The book has a high quality finish and looks impressive from the first glance. The book is jam packed (excuse the pun!) with recepies from a simple sponge cake to more adventurous puddings. Great value for money and even more fun for fans of the show. I would highly recommend this book as the super Amazon price did a great job of enhancing the high quality and volume of the book's contents!