Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.49

on 2 May 2011
I've not read any books by Beverly Barton before and didn't know what to expect when I picked up Don't Cry. What I found was that I was gripped by a well-plotted, fluidly-written and interesting book with a range of characters and an interesting puzzle to solve.

When a woman's body is found in a rocking chair cradling a toddler's skeleton it is the start of a series of deaths, each with a baby skeleton. The Rocking Chair Killer, as he is called, seems to have the key to a decades-old mystery of what happened to five dead toddlers who were snatched by a woman. Although a sixth toddler was found alive with Regina Bennett, she never revealed what happened with the previous five.

This story focuses around Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Special Agent JD Cass who is working on the Rocking Chair Killer case at the same time as trying to build a bond with his fourteen-year-old daughter Zoe who has recently come to live with him after the death of her mother. We also follow events from the viewpoint of grief counselor Audrey Sherrod whose baby brother Blake was one of the toddler victims all those years ago. In fact, a large proportion of those working on the case have some links with it, which I did find perhaps a trifle too coincidental.

There are several possible characters who could actually be the Rocking Chair Killer and the author does a good job of introducing them and showing their possible motivation. The actual killer, when revealed at the end, wasn't a surprise to me, but the small twist in the story was, although there were hints to it right at the beginning.

There's a slow-burn romance throughout the story which worked really well. Pacing was good and I liked the way the author writes, but with one exception. She seems to have a bit of an obsession with adjectives, as this extract from Chapter 4 shows: "She filled the white enamel kettle with fresh water and placed it on the Jenn-Air range to heat. A hint of daylight peeked through the closed blinds of her Walnut Hill town house as she padded around on the Brazilian Cherry hardwood floor, set out her favourite teacup on the countertop, and removed a bag of Earl Grey from the maple cupboard." To me, we could do without white, enamel, Jenn-Air, Walnut Hill, Brazilian Cherry and maple at least as they don't really add anything to the story.

All in all I very much enjoyed reading this story and look forward to another book from this author's flowing, confident, blue Mont Blanc pen.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2011
VINE VOICEon 7 September 2010
Excellent, very tight and tense suspense thriller with a bit of romance.

Chattanooga PD looks like it has a serial killer on its hands, when two young women are murdered and another goes missing. All the women are the same physical type. However, it is soon obvious to Special Agent J D Cass and the CPD that it is a secondary factor that actually links the murders, not the physical type of the women.

Grief counselor Audrey Sherrod is drawn into the case, when she counsels the families of the women. However, it seems that she and her family are linked to the cases by the secondary factor, also.

I'm not giving any more of a synopsis because it will ruin the plot.

Excellant book, read it.
on 16 June 2011
I was very pleased with this book - the writer did a great job. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys romantic suspense and a great plot and storyline. The book had everything - mystery, romance and I couldn't put the book back down. The book contained fantastic characters with great relationships between the main characters. I found it easy to work out who the serial killer was in the story but Beverly Barton made up for that by delivering a twist at the end. I can't wait to read her next two novels.
on 29 January 2011
love all of bevs books, be careful though as some of her books are being re-released but with new titles so dont get caught out by thinking the books are new.
on 10 March 2012
Having already discarded at least 3 books a couple of pages into them due to poor writing or boring or repetitive beginnings prior to reading this one I was feeling slightly apprehensive about this one and it did surprise.

The subject of Child murder was not overdone with emotion but with heartfelt understanding by the author. The reader has to imagine this pain and the author helps you to do this.
The love story was interesting but even more so the storyline between father and daughter - so well written and realistic. would have read a whole story about that alone. The daughter was the most believable character as was the counsellor.

Really enjoyed this well paced and emotionally wraught story.

Thanks Beverly.
on 20 March 2012
This was my 1st Beverly Barton read, i found it easy and fast moving with a good story line which kept you guessing until the end.A great mystery thriller.
on 2 May 2014
Quite a good thriller teamed up with the sequel Don't Say A Word, following the footsteps of JD Cass, his daughter Zoe, Audrey, Tam, Julia and Will, almost like a family saga!

Don't Cry starts with a terrifying murder of a woman who is found with an infant skeleton in her arms in a rocking chair. The race is then on to find the killer before he/she strikes again. The inevitable happens before they can even blink which hots up the pace somewhat.

Interspersed with all this is a lovely little romance and I have to say I was rather pleased not to be bombarded with graphic sex scenes. Just a nice little play on the use of your imagination which suits me just fine and NO profanity! Wow...Beverly certainly gets my vote every time!

Sadly Beverly passed away before Don't Say A word was finished so a family member finished it for her and I think they did a great job, thank you for keeping to Beverly's high standards.

Nice little read if you have a few spare hours with a little bit of everything thrown in.
on 14 March 2012
Disappointingly written and full of American cliches, such as the excessive use of sexual attraction which adds little to the story. It is also over- descriptive, which gives a sense of padding out what is basically a good storyline. i was also dismayed when (early on) one of the characters' names (Mary Nell) suddenly changed to Mary Bell - sloppy proof-reading, I think. That said, it has maintained my interest, even though at times I feel like giving up when faced with another cliche, which points to the essentially good story
on 27 February 2012
Tightly plotted, well paced and a pleasure to read. Don't Cry keeps you intrested throughout and delivers a few good twists and tums along the way. I wasn't sure what to expect, having never read Beverly Barton before, but I was pleasantly surprised amd I'm looking for another.
on 6 May 2012
Really couldn't get into this book. When I realised I didn't care about why the person was killed, or anything at all about the so called cop heros, I gave up. I just didn't find the writing style engaging at all. Sorry.