Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 1 March 2012
If you're already a My Family fan you won't need a review to persuade you to buy this, you'll probably already know that this release is the one that completes the My Family DVD collection as it finally makes available the seasonal specials that were not included in the first My Family: Four Christmas Specials DVD that arguably could have been included on the regular series releases. These specials cover the years 2006-2010 and they are great fun on the whole, My Family at the heart of it feels more like a pantomime with characters that are more like caricatures than most other sitcoms, even after the departure of Nick who was a delightfully goofy character the series still managed to make seasonal specials that felt like clean, old fashioned family fun albeit with a healthy dose of cynnicism with the remaining characters. In 2006's episode which is slightly reminiscent of Scrooge, Ben Harper tries to avoid Christmas by getting himself admitted to hospital, In 2007'e episode, Scrooge is definitely the theme but this feels to be a rather weak festive episode as Ben & Susan are made to carry all the action in an abandoned hotel. In 2008 the seasonal episode gets back to form as Ben & Susan fall foul of a department store, 2009's episode may make you feel slightly cheated as the slightly lavish episode which is set in the Harpers family distant future is actually the excuse for a clip show (is that a seasonal episode first!), 2010 became the series last seasonal special and as it was intended originally to form the basis for 2 seperate episode we have a christmas themed first half and My Familys first New Year themed episode which makes good use of the Harpers crotchety neighbour Mr Casey and a hilarious role for celebrity Rolf Harris. The final series aired in 2011 and it was given no seasonal episode!
on 18 February 2013
great my family and very typical of the usual series we have grown to love over the years! this is however a collection of the christmas specials from recent years including the futuristic harpers episode and the harpers go on holiday at christmas episode also! if you like my family then you're gunna love this!
on 11 August 2017
Very good value for money
on 6 March 2017
Not as good as the early My Family DVD's. Was ok though
on 4 December 2012
I really do like My Family. It's one of the best comedy shows. I really like Robert Lindsay in this programme. I'm so glad Alfie (Rhodri Meilir)is in it as well.
on 30 December 2011
I absolutely love this series. The Christmas specials are really great. I only wish they were going to continue this series.
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2014
I might just be bias, because I love everything to do with My Family, but I did enjoy them!
It is a must for any fan, even if other people have said its not that good, because it nice to see some unseen episodes!
The episodes are long episodes - about an hour.
My favourite is Ho Ho Ho 2007, and my least favourite is Mary Christmas 2010.
on 4 May 2013
really pleased with this item i purchased, really love the my family sit coms, can sit for hours watching this.
on 10 January 2013
end day you would only buy this if you were a fan or seen episodes to know what about... not interested in anything other than what it is.. yes some series it calms down and not as funny but still its my family and i love it all and collect it all..makes me happy and my form of escapism
on 3 January 2013
This was the last DVD I needed to complete my 'My Family' set and it didn't let me down. The Christmas specials that were aired on television are all on this disc, something I was looking for, for a few months. Great purchase for any My Family/comedy fan, like me.