Customer reviews

James MacMillan: Miserere
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 9 November 2017
The only two tracks that weren't just a lot of 'noise' were the two I have already got on another CD (Misererie and O radiant dawn, both excellent) and on the strength of which I bought this one. Very disappointed, but you can't like everything. I know everyone else seems to love this and although JM is a superb composer, this was just not to my taste.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 November 2017
Beautiful. Such moving music.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 January 2013
This CD was advertised in the December copy of "Gramaphone", and, since Macmillan is a composer I've long thought I should become acquainted with, I boughti it.
I'm really pleased with it : the singing is superb, and the music is outstanding! You think you're listening to a "classical" miserere, then the music takes an unexpected direction . There's a slight shock to the system, and then pleasure . I was expecting jangly, discordant , "difficult" music, and instead found beautiful harmony.I'm going to buy more of this composer's work!
on 18 March 2012
I've enjoyed much of James MacMillan's work since I first heard Isabel Gowdie. I don't share his religious convictions at all but I recognise he is powerfully motivated to write music of meaning and beauty. This collection is a fine set of works. I lent it to a friend who needed some solace and he found it deeply moving and asked me to get him a copy. The recording quality is excellent, with good balance and soundstage. It would be a nice intro to MacMillan's work.
on 16 September 2013
This is a lovely performance of favourite music. For people unsure of 20th century choral music this is a good introduction. For existing addicts it is just the thing.......
on 11 October 2012
The works on the CD comprise the most beautiful 21st century choral compositions I have heard. The Miserere in particular is incredibly beautiful. The Sixteen under Harry Christophers are in fine form as usual.
on 11 November 2013
Breathtaking perfection of sublime music. The standards this group set remain in a league apart. Bettered only by hearing them live.
on 24 April 2012
The ghost of Allegri is never far off in this Miserere
and other, more contemporary choral writers from the Baltic and North America
are brought to mind too, on the other tracks, but who cares?

Here is the joy of a creative composer working with a Rolls Royce of a choir
that is simply marvellous to hear and questions of originality are irrelevant.

Let's hope the classical radio stations don't play this disc to death!
on 4 March 2016
Beautiful music wonderfully sung
on 28 August 2013
very pleased, will be taking it to my local recorded music society also having heard Harry Christopher and the sixteen live