• III

III
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 8 October 2011
So, we have here one of those albums I've been looking forward to for a while; the latest from the immensely talented Brazilian Minimal/tech-house master, Gui Boratto. Gui's two previous albums (Chromophobia & Take my Breathe Away) were both huge, and outstanding remixes for the likes of Massive Attack and Bomb the Bass have further enhanced the profile of this talent. Chromophobia put this man on the map; he was a new leader in the field of minimal techno. Take my Breathe Away was significantly different; more melodic, acoustic-tinged and vocal offerings added a new dimension to his sound and made him really stand out.

So what could we expect of the latest album, III? A mixed bag of minimal and tech-house with a melodic, acoustic edge? Pretty much, although it's much more like Chromophobia than Take My Breathe Away. The album has a few big offerings, the funky and ever-building 'Talking Truss' being the outstanding tune of the album for me. But overall, I haven't fallen in love with III. There's just too many tracks which feel like they weren't quite good enough to make it onto Chromophobia, and he doesn't seem to have developed as an artist on this album. Take My Breathe Away was a distinct move in style from the minimal tech of his earlier work; III doesn't seem to show any further development to Gui's sound.

Overall then, I'd have to say that's it's ok, I like a few tracks on here a lot, but there's little that's infectious. Few tracks are memorable and barely anything grabs you from the first listening. Having said this, it's not rubbish. Soledad is a beautiful tune, Destination Education is cool too. Perhaps it'll grow on me with time, but I think this is one for Gui fans and general fans of tech-house; but if I were to introduce a friend to Gui's music, I would rather play his mix of 'Paradise Circus', 'Black River', or the earlier two albums to express why I think he's a top electronic music producer.
7 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 17 July 2013
Much like the sleeve, album number three from the South American is a darker affair. Possibly lacking obvious sonic thrills, this is an assured, intricate listen and a bit of a grower.
|0Comment|Report abuse