on 10 January 2013
I don't know who's more excited about this toy, Me or the dog. Well made, good size and for some reason I keep singing the okey kokey song during playtime.... You put the squirrel in, the squirrel out in out in out you shake it all about................ you see where I'm coming from Love it
50 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 21 January 2018
Our 3 year old Labradoodle (more poodle than Lab) is a "power chewer" - nothing escapes total destruction (unless she totally ignores it) so I was a little worried about buying this for her. I ordered the ginormous size to be on the safe side; it comes with 6 squirrels so enough for spares if some didn't make it to see another day (she gets through toys for strong chewers in a matter of minutes). We have been very controlled in introducing and playing this with her (we started with just 3 squirrels but she's worked her way up to 6) and she doesn't play with it on her own just in case, but oh how she loves it. So far we have focused on simply finding the squirrels with no need to load the tree trunk with treats. She has discovered the squeaks which fuels her play but she is also learning to 'give' and 'drop' (with treat rewards for safe delivery of squirrels); she is also learning to bring the tree back for re-filling. I don't doubt that, left to her own devices, this toy would be shredded extremely quickly; if your dog is so inclined, and if you don't have the time or desire to engage in managing their play then you might be disappointed with how long this item lasts. If you are happy to supervise/be involved in their play, then I'd highly recommend this toy.
3 people found this helpful
on 2 October 2017
Brought this after much deliberation as it was more expensive than I wanted to spend but it is such a hit with my border collie. Was looking for games he could play whilst crated as he was recouperating from a full hip replacement. It is definitely his second favourite toy now...his first is the Kong Knots Bear which he has had since a little pup. All squirrels still intact and still squeak although he does only play with it under supervision otherwise I think they may have lost some tails! Worth the spend 🐾😊
2 people found this helpful
on 24 March 2017
Oh how my dogs loves this toy!! She's a working cocker spaniel, and is always sniffing things out, so this is perfect!! The little chipmunks no longer have furry tails, they lasted a couple of days ( not the chipmunks fault..my dog pulled and pulled at the fur, so I ended up cutting them off). The trunk is very sturdy, and withstands hours of chewing. Soooo worth the money to see how much my dog plays with it.
3 people found this helpful
on 13 May 2017
This was the first toy my puppy destroyed and it took him around half and hour. Perhaps it was the use of treats to encourage him to get the squirrels out, but I suspect the "log" is just not robust enough. There is a clear weak point where two holes are close together and the fabric, as well as the stitching, has failed. We have had our puppy 5 weeks and have bought him numerous toys, which have stood up to repeated play and games of tug (his favourite game). This was NOT tugged, but somehow he ripped it apart - Perhaps it was damaged when we got it, as I was with him the whole time and never heard a rip. He enjoyed it and I think I can patch it, but he has had cheaper flimsier toys that have stood to repeated tug play, so I'm a tad disappointed. If you are able to closely supervise play and are good at sewing, it's a lot of fun and the squirrels are super cute.
One person found this helpful
on 1 April 2018
I cannot fault this product. Unfortunately my beagle x terrier is just too darn dumb to understand that she needs to get the squirrels out of the trunk, so I cannot review how easy it is for other smarter dogs, but she adores the squirrels, and the tree trunk itself also makes a great tug of war toy. We have had this product for more than three months now, and all of the parts have survived grueling games of tug of war, fetch, as well as gentle nibbling and we have yet to have a single ripped seam, torn off limb, or damage of any kind. The squirrels have a loud, clear and suitably annoying squeak which has yet to stop. As my dog is more of a grooming nibbler than a chewer, so I can't say how well the toys would hold up for a heavy chewer, but she is very passionate about her tug of war and she's a strong little dog, so I can say that the product is incredibly well made and well worth the price. 10/10 would definitely recommend to anyone who stands still long enough.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 January 2017
Santa Paws left his for my pup at Xmas and he was more than delighted. Its extremely well made and has given us all lots of fun. I ordered the small size which is about 5 inch tall and comes with 3 squirrels. The squirrels are my pups favourite thing ever. He walks round with them in his mouth squeaking as he goes. I also hide treats in the tree trunk and block up the holes with squirrels and this is a great game. My puppy is only small so he isn't particularly rough with it but it's such good quality it would withstand a good mauling. A top quality toy that's bought hours of fun.
One person found this helpful
on 8 January 2018
I really love this toy for my dog, and he does too. But the problem is, although its designed to be a dog toy, I don't think it's designed with the behaviours of dogs in mind.
My dog had ripped one of the squirrels AND a hole in the base of the toy within minutes of playing, and he's really not a big chewer.
I had to pull the cardboard base out through the hole (who on earth designs a dog toy and uses cardboard and not plastic?!) because if I hadn't, it obviously would've got wet with his salvia from chewing it and turned to mush.
Really not hardwearing at all.
But aside from that, it is a really fun toy, he loves finding the squirrels and suprisingly its not as easy as it looks for them, so he has loads of fun and is knackered and falls asleep after only 10-30mins playing.
A great toy - but I wish it was better designed and with better materials.
2 people found this helpful
on 23 October 2016
My dog (shihtzu cross) loves pulling toys out from in/under things so I frequently hide squeeky toys under rugs, behind cushions etc for him. This toy is perfect for him as he loves squirrels, toys that squeek and pulling them out. He soon got the hang of it and even like the tree trunk bit and started carrying it about with him. I made it even more fun by putting a few dog treats in the tree trunk then stuffing the squirrels on top of it. Seems well made though one of the squirrels had a non working squeeker when it arrived. However my dog generally removes/breaks the squeekers pretty quickly anyway. Glad I can buy more. Just ordered him the larger 7 squirrel version from the states as well as the bird and the bees version. Hope he likes them as much. I think most dogs will enjoy this.
on 25 August 2016
Arrived about 2 weeks earlier than expected. We have 4 whippets. One 11 years old, one 6 years old and two brothers of almost 2 years old. The 6 years old one was over the moon with this toy. Chucking it around and releasing some of the squirrels. What fun when they squeeked! One of the younger whippets managed to pull a squirrel out and decided to hide it under the duvet in our bed. At first the other younger whippet was a bit afraid of the toy, but he is a bit of a whoose. Once he got hold of one of the squirrels he was tossing it around and having so much fun with it. All in all a great toy bought for about £17.00 from America (including postage). Have ordered the platipus as well from the same company. Great fun for our dogs.