Customer reviews

Lion Of Macedon (Hawk Queen)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.99

VINE VOICEon 12 February 2010
Other than his final trilogy about Troy, Lion of Macedon is Gemmell's only full soiree into historical fiction. And it is a tour de force.

Gemmell has a set of stock characters (all of which I love - I don't see this as a negative) but Parmenion, the hero of the Lion of Macedon, isn't one of them. As a young man, he is abused in Sparta for his Macedonian heritage, and the Macedonians don't trust him either. And as we follow him in this book (and in the sequel, Dark Prince) he is an engrossing and entirely likeable hero. As with Gemmell's best writing, Parmenion is thoroughly believable - both as a man, and in his genius as a general.

The book is fantastic, from the iconic opening at the wargames final, I found Parmenion's story hugely emotional and devastatingly exciting. I would recommend it fully to anyone interested in the history - there was definitely enough to keep me interested as Parmenion helped Philip of Macedon begin the story that will lead to Alexander the Great - or the adventure: short of magic, it has all the ingredients of any of Gemmell's novels.

I can recommend this fully as an introduction to anyone who hasn't come across Gemmell before - even if you aren't normally a "fantasy" fan - and to anyone who is a Gemmell-lover, this is one of his best.
2 people found this helpful
on 8 February 2011
As a relative newcomer to David Gemmell, with my first books being the Troy series, I'm trying to read as much of his works as I can. The Lion of Macedon is a great story, from first page to the end the story grips you and the words come alive as you read them.

The story is based upon Parmenion, who was King Phillip's General when he first came to power in Macedon, and later to Alexander. He is regarded as great general though not much is known of his early life. This is where David Gemmell steps in and the book is his version of who Parmenion is, where he came from and how he become a great general. The story is gripping and personally I liked it because it didn't contain too much fantasy fiction, or dungeons & dragons stories as I call them. The story involves Spartans, Athenians, Persians, wonderfully described battle scenes, heroes, villains, characters who you become friends with and then mourn when lost. All the right ingredients that make the book a wonderful read and David Gemmell one of the best authors I've ever read. Buy this book!
on 24 January 2018
A fan of David Hennell for many years and a chance to revisit the Lion of Macedon. Mingled with fact and fable the legend of Parmenion , Phillip and Alexander are told great story
on 19 September 2017
This used to be a 5 star title for me. I love the story, but feel it lacks the depth of other authors I read (Abercrombie etc.). Still massively entertaining if it is a little simplistic.
on 24 September 2013
I've read a lot of Gemmell books and this is one of his best. It's similar to his Troy trilogy in that he takes a well known event or character and weaves a story around it. If you want a true history of Alexander The Great I don't think you'll get it here if however if you want a right riveting read this is for you. Recommended. Oh and you'll probably want to read the sequel Dark Prince.
on 10 March 2018
Gemmell, what else can I say
on 10 October 2017
If you’re left underwhelmed by Hollywood’s attempts to recreate the Greek warring states era or you just want to read a really really good book then the Lion of Macedon is exactly what you need in your life. I really did not want to put this down!
on 7 January 2015
A good mix of historical reference to Ancient Greece with a splash of fantasy thrown in for good measure.

I have read several Gemmell novels now and this is one of my favourites.

The main character Parmenion is based on Alexander The Great's military commander Parmenio.

The book is a fictional account of his life up to the birth of Alexander, I particularly liked the ending of this book which left me desperate to read the sequel, The Dark Prince.
on 8 August 2010
having read the 3 books on Troy from David Gemmell i decided to have a look at the books on Parmenion and am happy i did and i very much enjoyed this book... a rip roaring tale of his early life as a kid being bullied in Sparta to rising up to be Philip of Macedon's best general... excellent tale and very well written.
on 15 July 2013
David Gemmell is my favourite all-time writer of this genre. He encapsulates me from Page one. And keeps the story rolling.

Amazon have never let me down on any order in about three years of trading with them.

Thanks guys.