Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.88

on 10 August 2017
Good book with a very believable story of the drugs cartels in Columbia
For a change the arch villain was a woman.
An evil one at that.
Couldn't wait to get to the end!!#
on 17 July 2017
Great read, enjoyed every minute of it, few twists and turns along the way to keep you glued right to the end.
on 27 January 2015
Good story.
on 8 June 2012
This is an intelligent story about the international drugs trade, and the attempts of various organisations to try to stop the trafficking of narcotics.

A new type of cocaine has been developed; it is more potent than anything previously developed and as such, criminal elements are willing to go to extreme lengths to control the flow of the drug. Nathan is an agent trying to stop this, but the gangs have more resources and are completely ruthless; and he finds himself working on his own having been framed for a murder by the gang known as Front 154.

The story contains a lot of disturbing images, of drug taking and the effects on the human body, of a casual disregard for human life and the corruption that exists from the lowest to the highest levels of society and government. It's all about money and power; and how low people will fall.

The book is extremely well written and James Grenton has undertaken considerable research as a backdrop to the story; he even supplies details of some of the wide range of material that he used as preparation for the novel. This produces a well developed plot, some very well portrayed characters and a narrative that moves along at a very fast pace indeed.

I would suggest that this plot could very easily be turned into a really great film script and I for one would actually be interested in seeing it. I haven't read any of Grenton's work before, but I'm definitely going to be looking out for other stories by him.
on 12 December 2012
I am 25% way through the book and have got to say I actually can't be bothered to read anymore, by this stage I would want to be caring about what happens to the characters and actually be interested in them but right now I would be happy if they all overdosed on Black Coke and finished the book.

The actually writing style is good but the story line is just too slow for me, perhaps it speeds up but as I have another 500 books on my kindle waiting to be read, I just can't be bothered with this one.

Minor Spoiler Warning:
The final straw where I could not read anymore is where one character suddenly changes his mind from saying 'we'll wait till tomorrow' to 'No, lets go now', so they go after the baddie in a drugs den (which is full of druggies etc who all run off), Mr Indecisive Copper gets himself stabbed, blood everywhere, coming out of his mouth and filling his eyes - no pulse - dead!. Other guy then proceeds to threaten and question the baddie for a while, gets some info, another scuffle, shoots the baddie and then runs down the road to call for back up. Next day the knifed guy has survived - even though bleeding badly with practically no pulse and no medical attention for a good while!

Glad it was free when I downloaded.
on 9 October 2012
This is an excellent book, that I downloaded on a whim recently and I am glad I did. It has fast paced action and a very well researched plot line. I found it very difficult to put the ipad away at night. The characters are believable and I look forward to more books of this quality from this author.
on 17 October 2012
Such a frsutrating book. One one level it's a good read - decent plot and keeps the interest going. It is however spoilt by some unrealistic characters - the female baddy is too much and to think that the head of SOCA is actually in the pay of Colombian druggies is a step too far.

Worst of all though is the constant bullet-dodging that Our Hero manages - bullets scrape by him unless he ducks as a bullet is going his way. His aim though is invariably good and true.

Sorry to say but I can only give 2 stars for this.
on 9 May 2013
First James Grenton book I have read. Black Coke is an easy and predictable read, plenty of action and, thankfully, only a little romance ! All in I could not recommend it as such
on 6 November 2012
This is the first book I have read by James Grenton and it will not be my last. This book started from the first page and the story line and characters were easy to follow. Not my normal genre of books but this was excellent and impossibly hard to put down. On finishing this book I went and purchased another one immediately. Now down as a favourite author of mine. Well done James!
on 26 March 2013
Excellent for those who enjoy special service adventures. It certainly held my full attention throughout the whole story. Highly recommended.