Format: DVD|Change

on 2 October 2011
I too loved this series when it was first shown in the 80's and cannot wait for it to come out on dvd. Further to what a previous reviewer said about waiting for the dvd transfer, I do not think that this is what is holding up the show's release, I suspect it is probably a copyright and/or licensing issue which is causing so much delay. There are probably more people than you think who remember this show and who would buy it on dvd and there will be certain people who will want to make sure that they can get their share of any profits once it comes out. Trust me, I've seen loads of tv progs and films delayed a dvd release and it is always for these reasons. The legal wrangling can take years to sort out.
on 26 January 2011
I must endorse the views of the previous reviewer. I have been trying to look out this series on DVD for ages as I remember it well from when it was on TV with a great performance from Stephanie Beacham. But it keeps getting put back and back. I could understand it if it was original content but not with something that needs just preparing for DVD transfer. Any hope for this lifetime ?
on 21 January 2011
This DVD was originally due out last year - sometime in the spring I think - it's already slipped a year - a year! And now - another 9 momths?! I can't imagine that many people want to buy it - but why not let those of us who do actually do so - what on Earth is causing yet more delays?
on 7 March 2013
Have tried to find this dvd for some time and was very pleased to finally obtain it. It is dated but in a really good way and takes one back in time, quite some time, even though it seems like yesterday. If you lived through this well worth watching, if not maybe it will seem a little strange.
on 9 November 2011
So, yet again Network DVD (the DVD publishing company) have delayed the release of this wonderful TV series, from a promised December 31st, 2011 now into March 2012. Each time we get close to the release date it gets put back again & again. What will be the reason this time? The Sony warehouse fire in Enfield, North London during the August 2011 riots? Along with many others, I have waited for such a long time for this release, with Connie's manipulating, twisting and frightening approach to business. Much like the real rag trade in fact. I should know I was part of it in Nottingham in the late 70's and recognise a lot of the practices not to mention the factory locations in the Lace Market quarter of old Nottingham, sadly almost completely gone now. However, look on the bright side, as the salesmen of a well known US computer manufacturer used to say "It'll be fantastic.......when you finally get it"

Quote from Connie, when stepfather Hector confesses he's sent Connie's love interest out to deliver goods to customers, one of which was her old flame Arnie: "You've sent my Current, out on a round which includes my Ex". Oooh if looks could kill!!
on 2 June 2012
Like the other 'reviewers' of this title I too am eagerly awaiting the DVD release of this excellent serial and frustrated by the delays. Twenty seven years later I remember it as one of the few TV drama serials or series that could be considered 'literature', like the best of the old style one-off TV dramas that we used to get until the mid 80s; or indeed in the way we may now regard 'Madmen' and 'Deadwood'.
The reason was not so much the quality of the drama itself although this was not in any sense lacking, nor was it the seriousness/importance or otherwise, of the content - which it must be allowed does not have quite the wide sociological and cultural range of 'Madmen' - but rather the actual literary quality of the spoken dialogue which, as it gradually dawned on me as a watched it week by week, was really a sort of free-verse.
The only other serials that I have ever seen with this quality of dialogue are the much more recent HBO series 'Deadwood' which had such densely written 'frontier Victorian' dialogue that it took almost as much concentration as Shakespeare's blank verse to follow it properly; and then - also making use of the opportunity to experiment with the use of period dialogue - the BBC historical drama series 'Garrow's Law' some of which actually was in blank verse.

When I have had the opportunity to see it again I shall write a fuller review but I do well remember that my other great interest in this serial and the one that drew me to it in the first place was Stephanie Beecham herself. Her character and performance were uniquely fascinating and riveting.

But while conceding that the content of the drama is not as sociologically wide ranging as, 'Madmen', and that it doesn't have its epic historical-cultural scale, I have to say that this story of the Manchester garment manufacturing industry, at a time of crisis that resulted from cheap imports from the East, and only slightly less distant from us than the period covered by 'Madmen', comes as close as it can in the context of a drama occupying no more than the time covered by approximately two series of Madmen, and without the advantage and luxury of flashbacks to give the characters extra dimension as in the US serial. When comparisons are made more equal like this there are interesting parallels which it should be interesting to explore when at last this TV classic becomes available.
on 17 March 2012
What IS the reason for the delay? I too have waited years to see this fabulous programme once again. In light of what TV offers most of the time when something really good comes along, i.e. When The Boat Comes In/ West Wing I always buy and watch them from 8/9 p.m. onwards. The wonderful Pam Ferris was equally a star in this series.
on 17 January 2013
I think you guys need to look at your playback equipment or may be ensure you choose stereo as it sounds fine to me.
on 24 May 2016
Very dated, but Stephanie Beacham is superb, as always.
on 2 July 2016