on 5 February 2013
I bought this for my elderly parents who are both slightly hard of hearing and wear hearing aids. I did a bit of research on Action on Hearing Loss and Hearing Direct and this phone comes highly recommended from them so I thought that must be good. I ordered it from Amazon on a Thursday and it arrived by lunchtime the following Monday so thanks to Amazon for the quick turnaround. We've only had it one day as I write, but so far, it's been easy to set up out of the box. It says it needs to charge for '16 hours' before you first use it but we left it charging away and someone phoned in the meantime and it was fine. It has a very loud ringtone, which you can lower if it's too loud. There are 9 different ringtones (most of them are awful - apart from Ringtone 5 I think it is, which is OK). We found voice quality to be superb! My parents wouldn't be techy enough to go changing settings on their hearing aids to match the phone and so without doing anything this phone is more than good (loud) enough for them.

My parents generally use the speakerphone facility when someone rings, or if they ring anyone, so I was really hoping there would be a good speakerphone on this phone as I couldn't find anything about the quality of the speakerphone on any of the reviews I read. So far we've not been disappointed. Whilst on speakerphone, the voice of the person is really clear and loud and you don't need to hold the phone near you to 'hear' the person whilst on speakerphone (something my parents had to do with their old phones and they STILL couldn't hear the person half the time!). So they are delighted with the phone on that score alone.

The buttons on the phone are big and easy to use which is great for them too.
We've never owned an amplified phone before, but for any elderly, hard of hearing person I would highly recommend this type of phone now that I understand the difference between them and normal phones which are nowhere near loud enough for the hard of hearing. And if you want to start with a quality, budget priced amplified phone, then I'd highly recommend the Big Tel 200.
11 Comment| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2013
I have problems with both my sight and hearing and am very pleased with this phone. I especially like the boost function which drastically increases the phone's volume and the base unit's flashing light which alerts me to incoming calls. I was a bit worried about the range between base unit and handset but I've walked around with it within a roughly twenty metre radius and so far I've had no problems. Really glad I bought it.
on 6 January 2013
Bought for an elderly relative in a care home who is crippled with Parkinson's disease. Phone not too heavy and is easy to use. Large buttons are a big help and the fact you can store your 2 frequently used numbers on the short cut is a bonus. All in all an excellent purchase and certainly made her Chrismas.
on 11 February 2013
The phone fulfills all the functions it claimed and is good for anyone to use however it should have been perfect for an elderly person (purchased for my 91 year old Mother). Unfortunately there are some buttons on either edge of the handset in line with the display and my mother gripped the phone in this position. In doing this the buttons on each edge were depressed which stopped all other functions of the phone from working. By the time I discovered this she was fed up with it and has refused to use it since. For anyone purchasing this item for an elderly person this needs to be explained to them.

The display was clear the directory easy to access but a bit of a nucance when entering the details for a new contact and the instructions weren't too clear. There are two speed dial buttons located above the display marked M1 and M2 the contact data has to be re entered to asign these to a number. These are very handy but they only display the contact, it does not dial out automatically after they have been pressed it is still necessary to press the green phone button.
on 26 January 2012
Bought this for my Mum who is slightly hard of hearing, she reports that although the phone is loud, the tonal balance makes it hard to distinguish voices. Even though there are a few different tone settings, none seem to suit.
on 12 October 2013
Every time I was on the phone to an elderly family member, there was the recurrent complaint - "I can't hear you properly". "Well put the phone closer to your ear." "I've got it right next to my ear". After I started virtually shouting down the phone: "That's a bit better". Now with this amplified phone - no complaints! Phew! Well, at least no complaints after said family member had learnt the purpose of the green (on) and red (off) buttons, and the buttons on the side - plus (higher volume) and minus (lower volume). Now I no longer have to shout. I can talk normally.

Additional comment from usage. Unfortunately the mute button can be activated when the phone is pressed against the user's cheek. Then they can hear you, but you can't hear them. It is necessary to press the button with the green telephone on to restore normal communication. This can be problematic when someone is using the phone who gets confused about such things. For this reason I have had to reduce to 4 stars.
on 27 November 2012
The phone arrived ahead of schedule with simple to understand instruction and was easy to setup, The phone works very well and is a great help to the hard of hearing. The big buttons help those with poor sight, all in all a very good product.
on 10 August 2012
A phone where I can hear the caller if the boost is activated as I have a hearing problem.Agree with other positive comments.
on 14 June 2013
I returned my orhinal one as the boost button seemed to make callers words disappear I then thought it was the callers phone and was glad I had asked for a replacement. This came before Cmas and holidays and if I had been at home to use it I would have sent it back as the boost is useless and volume quality extremely low and I have reasonable hearing. Also the batteries don't recharge, I am trying different ones than those supplied to see if these are ok or if it is the recharging station is not working. The lights are on but there's no power in that phone...
on 31 March 2014
I bought a Gigaset phone 6 mopnths ago, but had to put it out to pasture, because my wife couldn't hear the ringer (she's quite deaf), and neither could I (I'm not deaf!). My wife can hear this one quite easily, and so can our neighbours! It has a good clear sound, which can be boosted to deafening levels by means of the 30cB button on the side, so we can both use it.