Flavour Name: Organic Chicken Dinner|Change

on 17 February 2012
Lily's kitchen have their own website. I contacted them before buying their cat food to ask for a couple of samples to be sure my cat would eat the food as it has herbs and veg in it as well as meat. They were very helpful and sent me 2 samples. My cat dutifully ate the samples and seemed to like the food. So I went ahead and bought lots of chicken flavour food. You can't buy a mixed pack of trays from Amazon you can only get 16 of one flavour. I wanted to try the organic food because I wanted something better for my cat especially as he is elderly now. I was very disapoointed to find that he would only eat half a tray and then pester me for more food later, but wouldn't finish his Lily's cat food. To cut a story short I have eneded up giving the trays to the cat's protection charity hoping their cats will like it better. My cat went on to refuse to eat it at all. I think that it was the herbs and peices of small bits of carrot in it. I think it is great that they are making this organic cat food, but I would buy no more than 5 trays to begin with in case your cat just doesn't like it. You can buy straight from their web site. I bought from Amazon because the P&P was cheaper for me this way. Lily's kitchen also do organic dog food.
44 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 February 2015
Product contains Carrageenan which I have now found out is notorious for causing diarrhea and other digestive upset. I wish I had known before buying a large pack of this and seeing my cat suffer for a couple weeks. It was miserable on my part too with a long-haired cat making a mess and needing baths! It's a shame because Lily's Kitchen reads like a quality product but this Carrageenan ingredient is very questionable.

I contacted Lily's Kitchen directly with a very polite email asking about this and they responded with dismissive, patronising, disgraceful callousness. I will never buy from Lily's Kitchen again.
on 20 October 2012
My tom was diagnosed with HCM 7 months ago. He responded well to medication but still had fluid that he couldn't shift off his chest. Every day he would have wheezing episodes lasting up to 20 minutes. I tried the (more expensive) prescription food but he refused point blank to eat it. I rang Lily's Kitchen and asked them about their sodium content. They couldn't give me a level but told me they don't add any salt or sugar so whatever salt there is occurs naturally. After a few weeks on Lily's Kitchen he had stopped wheezing, his coat was like velvet and he bombed round the house like a little torpedo. After 6 weeks he decided to stop eating this food for no apparent reason. I presume it was because he's a cat and therefore has to be awkward. I put him temporarily back onto regular cat food. Within a week he was bloated, constipated and I found him on the sofa barely able to get his breath. I'm currently giving him the Bozita Swedish food, which is better quality than the junk we get in the UK, rare beef heart (high taurine) and stopped dry food altogether. Then I'm going to have another go with Lily's Kitchen when he's got all the unnatural junk out his system. After seeing what the supermarket cat foods did to him, I really urge people to give this food a go. Don't wait until your cat is ill.

It's also worth noting that your cat will eat less. It's much higher meat content and not bulked up with plant protein. My tom is 6kg and only ate half a portion at a time. He didn't lose any weight.

EDIT. Literally 15 minutes after writing this he ate a bowl of Lily's Kitchen quite happily. Awkward little you-know-what.
33 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2013
My Tonkinese girl is quite fussy but both my cats gobble up this food in all the flavours greedily and miaow madly when they see the packets. They are both very healthy, and their coats shine like silk. I love that it is organic, and unlike all the other organic foods I have seen it is grain free and therefore species appropriate to cats as obligate carnivores. All the others use cheap grain fillers. And I also love they add a great natural whole food supplement like spirulina.

I am also impressed with the excellent customer service from Lilys Kitchen. When I recently had a problem with part of my order I was given a refund and then surprised when a large surprise box of free cat food arrived on my doorstep . Certainly more than enough to keep me a loyal customer!!!!
on 21 January 2013
I've been a vegetarian for years but only realised a couple of years ago that I was feeding my cat the nastiest byproducts of intensive farming (and also food that contained an alarmingly low meat content for a true carnivore). Did my research and settled on Lily's Kitchen for a high meat content and organic (and free-range) credentials. If I'm going to support the meat industry I want to do so in the nicest way.

The food IS quite expensive, but it is miles better quality than the cheaper brands (look at the ingredients one day). My cat seems to like turkey best, followed by chicken. Lamb is less popular and I try and avoid the fish one as it's not listed as sustainably fished. Recently had a stray cat moved in who looks a million dollars better after 3 weeks knocking back the Lily's kitchen- we got through one of these 16 packs in less than a week but they are a good amount to order (in terms of storing them) and with Prime, they come quickly when needed!

Heard they will be expanding the range soon- interested to see the new flavours!
on 7 February 2013

on 1 August 2013
My cats love this and I use it all the time. The cats always come for dinner now, great as we like to keep our cats in at night to prevent fighting and reduce the impact on wildlife. The cats come running for this food like they never did for anything else. Plus we know there is no horse meat in it!
on 14 January 2013

on 24 September 2014
I bought this for my cats as a healthier alternative to the standard cat food that you find on Amazon.

All my cats liked it and no food was ever left over in their bowl.

I have since moved on to an even healthier alternative (Specialised pre packed raw food) and no longer buy this product.

Summary: A healthier alternative to standard cat food

Feedback:
If you wish to provide feedback on this review then please follow the link below.

Thanks
on 1 May 2015
I was very much looking forward to receiving this new food which is known as one of the best. Only one of my cats likes it, and I would never had bought it if I had known if it was a pate. My other cat does not like it at all so I had to buy additional food. It is an expensive waste of money and why on earth would cats want to eat dandelion which is one of the ingredients? Why does the Fish one contain Turkey? Its utterly bizarre and I can only think it is made for trendy hipster human beings. Never again.