on 24 January 2012
I took a chance with this grinder as it lacks a proper description of what it can do. I can say that I'm very pleased with the outcome.

The grinding quality is decent and it's easy to operate. So far I have used it grind cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and make spice mixes like five spice and garam masala.

The two stainless steel bowls provided (both with blades inside) mean that one bowl can be used for spices, the other for coffee. This way the smells don't get transferred. You get two plastic lids for storing the contents in the fridge.

The manual says that it's designed for grinding dry spices, however a couple of recipes provided in the recipe book mention a making paste with oil (tahini) or using it to chop ginger & garlic. So basically a little bit of wet is ok, but to make curry pastes (e.g. Thai) you'll need to transfer the spices to a food processor.

The two criticisms it would have are that a) the bowl can be a bit hard to attach/remove from the unit - so don't get this if you're a wimp; and b) the lid design doesn't allow you to reach the crevices very easily - so it is sometimes a bit hard to clean/dry.

Otherwise an excellent product, possibly the best on the market. It also comes with a 3 year guarantee and there is a UK care centre. I have looked into sourcing spare parts and their US website lists parts for a similar-looking product, the SG-10. It's not clear if these are available in the UK.
11 comment| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 June 2013
Bought this 9 months ago and have used it most days. So an ideal chance to review.

It has a Nice feal and action that suggests a solid build, Put your stuff in the steel bowl, put the plastic top on, prees down to grind. Lift top off, twist and press down on the steel bowl to remove so you can carry your grind to the next stage. No lifting the whole grinder with trailing power cable. A bit more expensive than I planned for a spice grinder but thanks to the dual interchangeable stainless steel grinding bowls I have ended up using this everyday. One for coffee and one for spices. I know burr coffee grinders are better but this is not bad at all and grinds very quickly. Want finer? press a little longer. You get to know the sound of your grind. Two air tight lids also supplied for the bowls but I have not needed to use them. Would definitely buy another should I need to replace.

** Caution with washing the plastic top. This happens everytime. Tucked away inside is a thin clear rubbery plastic o-ring which seals down on the lip of the steel bowl when the top is pressed down to do a grind. It will wash out unnoticed as it is not glued in to it's slot. It is needed to both cushion the pressing action and keep the powder in the steel bowl. I found it in the sink plughole sieve and did not have a clue where it came from. Only retracing my activities did I deduce it came from the grinder (by coincidence I cleaned and washed out my Dyson filters that day and was convinced for a long time it was from there). I guess you would have a hard time finding a replacement as it is a unique size, and shape (circular cross-section). I now know to look out for it every time I hand wash it which is not an everyday event.
on 10 August 2012
i do a lot of grinding when i make my curries, this is brilliant you have one that grinds spices to a fine powder, even coriander seeds, and the other one you can put your chillies and garlic, ginger, in they are dishwasher safe so no problems with that either
on 21 July 2012
I have used a variety of grinders over the years which have been OK but all had drawbacks e.g. not washable, dry spices only. I bought the Cuisinart based on my experience with the brand and I am absolutely delighted with it. It is a good size, very quiet in operation, and grinds quickly and finely. You can use it for wet ingredients such as ginger, garlic and onions, and any dry spices. It has two goblets which allow you to process wet and dry ingredients for the same meal, and the lids allow you to prepare in advance and keep things fresh. Best of all the goblets are detachable and you can wash them under the hot tap. Perfect!
on 25 December 2013
I don't often write reviews but on this occasion I felt I should. After reading mixed reviews of the grinder I decided I would go for it. Cuisinart is a renowned make so I felt confident that it would be good. I do have an expresso machine at home and although the main purpose for the grinder Is for spices, I would also like to grind coffee beans too. After reading several reviews saying they had not been able to get a fine grind from the beans, I wasn't optimistic. I was wrong. They ground down to the finest coffee I have ever seen. I don't know if other people have had faulty units but trust me, this will grind anything you throw at it. As well as that, it looks great and is surprisingly quiet in operation. You will not be disappointed in this product. Just make sure you keep it grinding for a couple of minutes if you want a really fine powder.
on 15 December 2013
We have tried coffee grinders for grindig up spices and herbs. They worked, sort of. This grinder does exactly as it suggests. We grind up all kinds of tough herbs, barks, seeds, nuts, you name it and it does a really good job. We are quite happy with it!
on 11 July 2012
I bought this after reading the reviews and because I expected a quality product for the price. Unfortunately this is not what I got... The product arrived soon enough and looks lovely but it just doesn't do what it says it is meant to do on the box. I tried to grind up some mixed nuts and within seconds the blades had jammed. I freed them by clearing the small nut particles and tried again - same thing... Then after three attempts the motor just would not come on. I left it for a few minutes and tried again - the motor worked and the blades spun but ass soon as I placed any nuts in the container they stopped and the motor failed. That was as far as I got. The product is totally useless and in my opinion complete rubbish. I do not know if I have just been unfortunate or not but the product never worked for me from the first attempt at using it. So - I can't recommend this to anyone and the only reason it gets one star is because Amazon don't let you give it no stars. Given my experience with this produce I would advise anyone considering this product to look elsewhere for a grinder..
88 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 June 2012
Didn't work when i tried to use it. Paid £9.50 to post it back. But they refunded my postage as well as the cost of the product. Bought the Wahl spice grinder for £15 and it works a treat. Price doesn't always equal quality.
on 18 June 2015
This "grinder" or should I say pulse machine, since is more of a pulse machine then a grinder is amazing in principle, but that's all. The design and the fact that parts are replaceable and dish washer safe is great, but it's not for people who really cook. It's very, very poor in performance. As I am typing I am waiting halfway through my cooking for the machine to start working again. Just stops on you, even when strictly following the grinding instructions with the amounts, where the bottom of the cup, the plastic, is still visible. I grind 5 times and stops working. It's terrible, and the blades are not good either, very poor design and quality blades. Was it so difficult to improve the watts, the sharpness of the blade and no switch off after grinding 5 times the bottom of the cup... I find this device useless, what a shame. I also find very misleading the fact that it states stainless steel cups when 80% of the bottom cup is plastic, for that reason alone I would've never bought it. A shame that manufactures don't give a great deal of thought to anything they create nowadays, everything is disposable a bad principal.I don't approve off. The potential is there.
on 7 February 2015
Have only used once but wow! This had quite a lot of spices to grind for the curry I was making including whole cardamom and coriander seeds, it blitzed them in seconds with not a bit of cardamom shell in sight. It's quite pricy but I think this little gadget will last ages. It's got a three year guarantee, is really sturdy and comes with two little containers with blades and lids so you can blitz and also store more than one lot of ingredients. Really pleased so far!