Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.99

on 30 June 2017
A wonderful fascinating and horrific account of life in western country in the 1900's or thereabouts. the hardships, the endurances, the families, the lifestyle, survival and love life and the meaning of family. It took me 100 pages to get into it- I thought it a bit slow but then in part 2 it all took off. I was so overwhelmed absorbed and grateful to Larry McMurtry who revealed true realism, wonderful female characters, humour and despair. It is an engrossing novel rich in descriptions and events that were so insignificant but he writes so beautifully and honestly There is no mercy in this book. I loved it and westerns are not my genre. An amazing book not only in historical context but so cleverly and sublimely written- it makes you reflect for a long time afterwards. A pleasure to read!
Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry

A member of our book club has read this book five times and I think we were all so interested to find out why a "cowboy yarn" could prove to be such a source of joy, that we all willingly got our own copy to discover for ourselves the answer. And what an experience it turned out to be!

Jake Spoons arrives back at the Hat Creek Outfit where Capt. Woodrow Call, Augustus McCrea, and fellow retired rangers, Deets and Pea Eye and young Newt live and after painting a picture of how beautiful Montana is and how they could be one of the first cattle ranches there, Call decides to get a herd of cattle of well over two thousand head together and make the long and arduous journey from Texas to Montana. A group of cowboys plus two Irish brothers they find on a sortie into Mexico join them on this arduous journey.

When I was young my dad would share his "cowboy yarns" with me, so I grew up with ranchers, cattle drives, horses being broken in and all the other activities that went with the vast landscape that was America. However, no other book has ever told such a beautiful vivid picture of trekking through difficult country with all sorts of hidden dangers quite like this book does. I've read it once, but know that it will be a book I'll visit time and again for the sheer beauty the author has used in his descriptions. A truly wonderful book and worth being seriously anti-social, and sleep inhibited. I was distraught when it ended
on 28 June 2017
Epic!

What a book! The setting, the characters, the toil, the adventure, all of it on an equal footing in terms of the story. I felt like I'd been through it all with them by the end.

Brilliant.
on 27 July 2017
Great novel and so well written
on 12 September 2014
This story reads like a personal account of a truly magnificent journey, with vivid descriptions of people, their lives. memories, the hardships they endure, the triumphs against all odds, the landscapes, the mighty rivers and the plains and above all the strong characters and how each of these influenced and determined the lives of the people around them.
on 13 June 2017
Again slow to start but thoroughly enjoyed the drama and adventures of the now familiar characters
on 22 May 2017
Amazing book. I can't stop thinking about it.
on 20 July 2017
Kept me hooked from start to finish, finely devised characters so good, about to read Lonesome Dove Book 1 the early years
on 3 April 2017
Fantastic story. Listening to this you can really use your imagination and visualise the settings and the characters come to life.
on 18 July 2014
This is a fantastically brilliant book!!! Great story, great characters. I went into mourning when I finished reading it and couldn't start another book for a couple of weeks.