Customer reviews

Size: 11 UK|Colour: Cognac|Change
Price:£49.99 - £120.00

on 4 November 2013
These are nice shoes but i'm very dissapointed with the laces. One of the shoes came with very short laces that you cannot tie a knot through. The laces overall look very weak too so you have to be very gentle. I have only worn them once and due to the laces being too short to tie, the shoe kept moving about when walking, eventually bruising my skin from the rubbing.
on 29 July 2013
I love these shoes so much that I ordered a second pair. I have broad feet and normally I need to take a least a half size too big to get shoes on. They fit so well that I went down a half size for the second pair. The quality appears to be first class and several people have admired them and asked for the name of the maker.
on 15 December 2016
Husband is difficult to fit with shoes but these just slipped on. Excellent and very comfortable.
on 12 October 2011
I have very wide feet and finding comfortable shoes has always been problematic - I usually buy Timberland to get the width as Clarkes don't offer anything sensible at present.

I bought a pair of these and they fitted like a glove almost from day 1. They are some of the most comfortable shoes I have ever bought. Only complaint is I am trying to buy a second pair and my size is out of stock!
on 29 January 2013
sick and tired of wearing "honey" boots with steel toecaps with shorts in summer,tried a lot of so called boat shoes ALL way too narrow,these,well these ARE the real thing,i cant praise them enough,beautiful leather and soft already lads,so no annoying blister on back of your heel...! And they dont actuly "look" wide...but they are,what a treat,i stongly urge you to stop looking around for others and buy these...well worth the money... chris, guernsey
on 21 April 2010
I have always loved and weared all sorts of boat shoes and mocassins, since they can be much more comfortable than other kind of shoes during the Summer, even for everyday use; nevertheless, although in my country (Italy) we have a long tradition of high-quality, comfortable shoes, I have always found that the best brands and models for this specific kind of footwear came from the UK (at least as regards brands/designs, since most of these shoes are actually assembled in the far-East, as most other goods today...)

Unfortunately, finding high-quality, expensive UK-made shoes like these, even from very known brands, has recently become rather difficult in Italy, due to the recession, so I tried to find the best I could on Amazon, for once, hoping also to spend a little less than the usual...

This specific model, although coming from a brand that is completely unknown/not marketed in Italy, as far as I know, apparently was the best one I could find: as a matter of fact, due to an ingrown toenail problem I developed recently, I needed a "wide-fit" model, which is something very rare in Italy, unfortunately, but much more common in the UK, and this model is specifically marketed as being "wide-fit" (which should provide more space to sore toes, in theory).

Moreover, by looking at the pictures both on Amazon and on the manufacturer's site, this specific model looked very elegant and well designed (and it is), and the price was not too high, either, so I decided to order them.

Well, I must say that when I saw them in my hands, I was really satisfied by this purchase, at first, since these shoes are definitely made with an extreme attention and very good workmanship in every detail (from the sole to the stitches, the eyeloops and every other little detail); their design IMHO is also more original and classier than most other similar models, even from more expensive brands; finally, they _are_ really wider in the middle section and even a little higher in the toebox than most other shoes (and since I chose a slightly larger size than my own, they offered just the right space to my toes)...

Unfortunately, looking good is not enough, and being just elegant and well-made does not translate automatically into being comfortable... So, when I actually put these on, I immediately felt how _hard_ the leather they are made of is, especially in the back folded "rim" that goes around the ankles, which is _quite_ rigid...

The same can be said of the soles, which are definitely not very soft or comfortable as other brands' ones (there are no "cushioned" or "air" insoles inside, which are becoming very common in other brands), and bend rather stiffly during walking, even producing some cheap-sounding creaking sound of the upper leather...

In other words, I think that the leather that was used in these shoes, although _exteremly_ fine-looking and even nice to the touch, is nowhere near as soft or comfortable as the ones used by other, more costly brands, unfortunately (which justifies also the noticeable difference in price, by the way...) The good thing is, these shoes come with a 2-year guarantee, so at least they should be made to _last_...

I can only hope that, with everyday use and some longer walking, the leather will eventually get softer, but I doubt it will ever become as comfortable as I hoped, unfortunately...

In the end, you get what you pay for, and shoes should be definitely _tried on your feet_, before buying them, IMHO, so I am not completely disappointed by this purchase, and it might even turn out to be a positive one, in the long run, hopefully...
44 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2013
great pair of shoes. I am a size 11 and have a wide foot. As i live in Spain, i went for the size twelve, and now know that an 11 would have been fine. The quality is great. I feel confident that i will have these for much longer than the normal fall-apart stuff that i usually buy. The delivery was up to the usual amazon high quality.
on 1 April 2013
Good quality, comfortable wide fitting - made the right choice with these. Already I know these will be used a lot. Only question now is how they will wear and look in two years time? I expect they will fare very well!
on 25 December 2014
Unfortunately it would seem the size structure/dimensions of these shoes have changed?
I have purchased a few pairs of Rockport shoes in the past, and always a size 7 UK. I recently purchased a size 7 which were massively oversize. I returned these, and decided to try a size 6, but found they were clearly manufactured for really wide feet, and not at all a snug fit.
It's a real shame, because Rockports were always designed to mould to the foot, giving a snug fit, which is clearly required if walkng the deck of a sailing vessel.
I am disappointed I will have to return these shoes again, which is a shame as the quality is still very good.
Regards
George Redpath
on 2 February 2014
Having bought these before I can tell the quality difference straight away. I guess its all down to price so next time I will spend double what I paid and buy from a shop to feel the quality first