on 8 July 2012
I hope this review provides some information when making your choice, I am a professional photographer willing to spend a fair wack on equipment, yet on the other hand not wishing to blow everything on features I wouldn't need: mainly I need sufficient quality.

Used 50% of the time driven from a 17" MacBook Pro via a NEET MiniDisplay port to HDMI cable - which also carries sound.

Why 4-star? If the iris was quieter, there was treble/bass control, the blacks were v.dark grey rather than v.dark blue (-I wouldn't expect total black), then I'd have given it 5-star, but at this price there may be nothing on balance that is better. So you could read 4-star in this price bracket as 5-star!...

The wireless capabilities are a major feature for me (I'd have paid more for it). I move the projector around various locations, often with the laptop and projector on separate surfaces - the issue of HDMI cables trailing across the floor is eliminated.

The projector's sometimes frowned-upon feature - the in-built speakers are for me are a great bonus, no need lug around an extra set of speakers. They are totally adequate for my purposes, provide ample volume (you'd never need to max them), treble though could be more forward & bass tighter/less emphasised (treble clearest if you are behind the projector), quality is similar to a portable radio/cd-player. I mention the speakers as I do actually use them, and was a reason not to get the TW9000. As a side point I prefer the TW6000W's minimal '2001 space odyssey' white-pod look to the more aggressive 'star-wars' TW9000!

Image quality is near perfect, sharp, bright, good colour balance - no weird shifts, grey-scale is full and even. I use a custom gamma setting to increase highlight detail, reducing the second slider on the right of the gamma graph.

The *slight green tinge can be corrected with the Tint & Skin Tone controls. Overall though having a different look to my MacBook Pro it possibly delivers the better image - making the white-LEDs of the MacBook seem a little cold.

The lens also seems good - perhaps not as great as the Fujinon of the TW9000. Maybe a touch of left/right de-focus, but its within my super-critical tolerances. When the projector is on (such an intense beam reveals all) ..looking obliquely through the lens I notice a minor smear and a couple of small flecks inside the lens, but I doubt they affect image quality.

'Eco' lamp mode will provide perfect brightness in a room with subdued light, in a brighter room 'normal' lamp mode works fine - but fan noise could be noticeable. In fact I often even find 'Eco' too bright for pleasurable viewing, brighter isn't always better; the so called 'Epson super-white' setting controls this glare (reducing brightness). Most will turn it off to keep max brightness, but its there as I see it as a professional feature, I like it on.

In dark situations you will notice that blacks are v.dark blue. Setting brightness to -2 and Iris to 'Normal' will help. If you watch a lot of dark films in a dark environment and you want v.black blacks you'll need to spend a wack more for higher grade LCD panels, the TW9000 or equivalent. This shouldn't deter you from this projector as otherwise its blacks are far darker than others I have worked with.

Iris noise... sounds like a small plastic cog-wheel turning in jumps, not a loud metallic clicking or grinding, yes it is noticeable but occasional - quieter than someone carefully putting a cup down or a chair creaking, etc. It darkens blacks by I guess less than 5%, so you can always turn the iris off if it bothers you (I have it on) ..or I read that the £3k Sony's are whisper quiet.

Shhh!.. an engineer 'secret button sequence' unlocks a new menu item to adjust RGB alignment across all parts of the screen - in a similar way but with even more control than professional CRT monitors used to offer. Google 'avforums epson lcd alignment' - it crops up there a lot. Make sure you have a clear head when unlocking, as its an unsupported feature. I prefer these kind of adjustments in my control rather than a 1-min fiddle in some long-distant factory.

Overall the right projector. Getting into the trap of paying a bit more opens up projectors that are a bit more again, if I were to jump up a level it would be to £3k, probably to a Sony or JVC, but they are not wireless.

The TW6000w is a neat good looking unit, large but not oversize, the wireless is a fantastic feature, the speakers are worthwhile, picture quality is very good. I know I made the right choice, in fact this was the only projector for me - it doesn't have a comparable.