Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.95

on 14 August 2013
A wonderful insight into women explorers. The tails of Victorian exploration in particular were brilliant as were the thoughts about the difference between male and female explorers. Made me want to put on my tweed skirt and brogues and venture into the wilderness!
on 10 June 2014
Maybe only keen travellers would rave over this one as I do but I liked the writing style, the subject matter and the concept of the book and have kept it to reread which is unusual to me as I spend a lot of time chucking books out once read.
on 13 September 2012
If - unlike the previous reviewer - you ignore the inevitable Kindle editorial errors, this is a book worth reading. It is fascinating that - as the author points out - there are so many women pioniers and explorers, who have all but disappeared in the the annals of time, whereas their male counterparts are still highly lorded and very nearly household names.

It once again shows that for women to be thought as highly of as men, they have to perform ten times as well - and even then it's may not be enough!

Anyway, all of that aside, the contents of this book are interesting and I am now intriged to find out more about some of the bold and adventurous women written about in these pages.
on 26 June 2012
I was really quite looking forward to reading this, but I find it very badly written and very poorly edited, e.g. when talking about American and Norwegian explorers, there's an illustration of rucksacks with US and GERMAN flags on them; tigers in South America (really?); llama spelled 'lama'......
on 24 November 2013
This title promised so much. Sadly, it is no more than a stringing together of other people's work and experiences.
Just as I was getting into what I thought would be a tale of daring and adventure, it skipped to another element of travel which was also dealt with superficially.
The bibliography is the best bit as it pointed me towards writers who wrote real stories of their own and others' adventures.
on 7 January 2016
so funny
on 4 July 2013
Going in the charity bag. Got bored and didn't finish it. Wasn't really inspired by writing style. Not worth buying.
on 31 December 2011
I've only "dipped" into this book. The title intrigued me.
We shall see . . . . . . .
Looks good on the coffee table - sure to invite conversation.