on 29 May 2012
If you love looking at synthetic benchmarks and spend a lot of time debating the difference between 73 and 77 fps in a game, or 5 seconds difference in a 2 hour rendering, and have more money to spend, you are probably better off with an intel something. This cpu is not "THE" speed demon. Is plenty fast to do everything you need to do with a pc nowadays, heavy gaming, rendering, browsing, compiling, zipping, whatever... in some cases (optimized sw) it can top intel's more expensive stuff (again, by the all important split second margin.), and relative performance will probably increase over time, as sw becomes more parallel, but I digress. The whole FX platform is cheaper than the intel "I" equivalent, and by a good margin. Just try to compare fx 8120 + sabretooth 990fx or any other medium-high quality motherboard with the i2500k + equivalent, and you will see what I am talking about. So if price/performance is the most relevant criteria to make your choice, go with this chip, you will not be disappointed. I am a software developer and I work with 3d (3dsmax) and at my workplace I have a comparable (but much more expansive) xeon e3-1230 based workstation-with an ssd drive etc. and, although I know the xeon should smoke the fx, I have to say that my machine (fx 8120, sabretooth 990 fx, 8gb corsair vengance 1600, crucial m4 256 gb)feels snappier. I am not a big overclocker but I am running my at 3.9 ghz (by raising the multiplier only) with no problem whatsoever on a scythe ninja 3b. I could push it way further but I don't feel the need, actually the chip was perfectly fine at stock speed, but I like a bit of fiddling :) . I can game pretty much everything at fullhd resolution with high/max details (radeon 6950). Again, if budget is a constraint but you still care about performance, buy this cpu and use the money that you are saving against an intel-comparable solution to get an ssd drive, which is simply the single biggest performance boost that you can have on a pc. The only real disadvantage is the higher power consumption 95 vs 125w TDP, but unless you run your pc as a 24/7 server with high loads, it would not be a problem. So not a perfect product, but a very good one to me. 4 stars, plus one for the very aggressive pricing, cool packaging and to support the competition, which lead only to benefits for the final customer.
12 people found this helpful
on 28 June 2012
Did some research and for the price and my budget seemed the best option..... and it was!

If you are going to OverClock I suggest you don't use the stock fan in the tin get a proper "chiller" and don't forget (suggest) Arctic Silver 5 3.5g Thermal Paste

I am using the AMD OverDrive software to overclock it's gone from a 3.1mz to 3.9mz without any trouble at all and with no voltage increase (voltage I believe increases heat and wear and tear)
I will after some "research" copy the setting straight in to the Bios but as I was rebuilding a new rig so doing "baby steps" lol

I gave myself a £500 ish budget to build a new rig as I already had a Tall Tower and 750PSU from my old set up, so did a little research and came up the combination below. My rig operates at 16 degrees or less as I am doing this so got a cold draft, so this is running superfast super cold and most importantly super quiet, so this is my "gaming rig" played The Secret World (FunCom) on ultra so guessing this should do for at least a year lol

ASRock 990FX Extreme4 Motherboard (Socket AMD3+, DDR3, ATX, USB 3.0, AsRock Instant Flash Technology)

AMD FX-Series FX-8120 Black Edition Eight Core Processor (3.10 GHz, 16MB Cache, Socket AM3+, 125W, 3 Year Warranty, Retail Boxed)

Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Four Module Kit

EVGA 01G-P3-1567-KR Nvidia GTX560Ti DS SuperClocked 1GB 256-Bit DDR5 Graphics Card

Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 CPU Cooler
5 people found this helpful
on 27 November 2012
3.1 ghz 8 cores im in heaven or am i

help im running a huge damn temperature
this beast gets hot very quickly some coolers seem hard to keep it pinned down in the 25 c region

how i keep mine cool is a duel combination of evo 212 hyper with additional blade master fan running max all the time
mx4 thermal paste guys dont even kid around with the cheap crap paste they give you it doesnt do jack my temps were hitting

53c when gaming with the stock thermal paste

now there at a humble 40c gaming with mx4

so thats 1600rpm and 2000rpm pushing air away from it

my 2000rpm back fan and 2 front sickleflow fans are pushing new air and pulling out air fast

the good thing is it runs beautifully in games and havent seen any stutters yet

paired with my 7850 2gb 19 inch monitor its running all games on it beautifully at ultra

if your looking for a good cpu this is it it runs games at stock settings however if your using nothing less

then 4 heat pipes and 1 fan

you may want to invest in duel fan combo

and mx4

otherwise get a fx6200 it will do same as this but produce slightly less heat due to 6 cores
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 18 January 2015
Wow. For the money, at the time I bought this it was either an Intel i5 quad core, or this with 8 cores. Went for this (obviously) and was not disappointed. I didn't over clock this cpu despite the fact that it is possible to do so. Frankly speaking, it is already very quick. The supplied heatsink and fan do a reasonable job of keeping the processor cool, but I found the fan a little noisy, so eventually I got a liquid cooled solution and replaced it. This was well worth it and now the machine is very quiet and the CPU temperature is lower than it was with the stock cooler.

I believe if you are looking for the most power for your money, AMD is a good place to look.
on 22 January 2014
I built a very basic PC about a year ago (indeed the total cost of that build did not exceed about £200!), however my prime objective for this was as a cheap entry into new technology. I recently purchased an AMD FX8120 processor (which is the maximum allowable by my motherboard. This installed without incident, and the computer booted no problems. For day to day use (email, web browsing, etc), you won't see a great deal of speed. You notice the performance when the processor is under load and doing interesting stuff, like LP record restoration, or image manipulation. Just to give an example. Using 4gb of memory and a lowly (but acceptable Sempron 145 CPU), to fully restore half an hour of audio recorded from an LP record, took a total of 1 hour and thirty minutes to apply all the relevent effects to the sound file. Once I had put in the AMD FX8120 and replaced the 4Gb RAM with 2 matching sticks of 4Gb (making 8Gb total), the time to process the same audio took roughly 20 minutes! Ripping a DVD to MP4 format took about ten minutes, using the same system. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase, and it was worth the 12 month wait in getting it......
on 7 June 2012
First: I must admit that I am an AMD fangirl. While I won't defend them to death if they made a card which could burn down your house for a stupid error on their own hardware, I will if I can buy their own products before Intel/Nvidia.

Now, with that said...

While Bulldozer as a whole has had some bad reviews, I myself have had no issues with it, and find this processor to be an improvement over my old four core Phenom. Some programs that I run (albeit not games) which are processor intensive are running much more smoothly, and able to generally complete tasks much quicker, and my system as a whole is more responsive.

However, it can easily run to 40c when pushed, and this is with an aftermarket cooler on it, and before any overclocking. This is however with quite a bit of its power being used, so while to be expected, especially with something this powerful, you shouldn't skim on a cooler for it, go for the Corsair H100 or something similarly power, if you want to attempt to overclock. When not being pushed and idle, it will hover around 20C. The stock cooler can just about hold its own, but you really should get it something better if you do wish to use it properly.

Overall, I'm happy with it, just wish it could run a bit cooler, especially as its max temperature is 60C.
2 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 27 April 2014
This is know Intel i7 I know that but its the price that made me buy it..If I had the money to spend and was intending on building a High Spec machine it would be the Intel every time.The cash I don't have so I went for this one, on reflection I wish I'd went for the next one up but I've built my machine and this one is just doing fine.Coping with all the latest games and was easy enough to install.I'll probably upgrade it shortly and put in a newer CPU but it will still be an AMD..I have used Intel CPU's but they can be very pricey and AMD have always been that bit cheaper.Great for Mid Range builds.
on 10 October 2013
With the bundled heatsink/fan I got 4.4GHz, with an aftermarket heatsink I get 5.1GHz. It even works above this but becomes unstable if I 100% all cores above 5.1GHz.
As a quick benchmark I can mine with Scrypt algorithm at 8.9 KH/s per core. Running the CPU at maximum seems to draw 135 watts so this is quit a power hungry processor, but you can clock it down to 1.4GHz. On a gigabyte board you can easily run EasyTune and set the CPU to auto clock between 1.4GHz and 5.1GHz for electricity's sake.
Blows my old i5 to dust.
One person found this helpful
on 31 May 2012
last month, April, I had bought the AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz - Asus M5A78L-M USB3 HDMI Motherboard - 8GB DDR3 Bundle and paid £250 for it, not happy in the least to say that now it has dropped in price by about £100. Still a good system and easily clickable. But I wanted to render A3 images and before the quad system I was getting rendering times of 37 hours on my machbook pro. On the quad system this dropped to just under 8 hours but still this wasn't enough for me as I knew that I would eventually have to render images A0 size at least 150 dpi and this would mean going back to almost 70 hours rendering time even with a quad system over clocked. When I saw that the 8 core system had dropped to £113 for a used one, I snapped it up. I was so quick in doing so that I had not thought about getting a motherboard to go with it. It arrived two days later and I had read that someone had just fitted the same cpu in a system that was not meant for the cpu and suffered heating problems. I have to say that the cpu with the mother board I have does not overheat or go past 62c, I think it is to do with the cooling fan that comes with it, which is also extremely quiet. With a better cooling system I could probably over clock the cpu to run at 5mhz but whenever I try to run at 4.2 the software I use crashes, and it would crash also with the quad core cpu at the same speed. I have to say that the Asus M5A78L-M USB3 HDMI Motherboard with 8GB DDR3 is brilliant at managing the 8core cpu, in fact I just love that it runs a lot cooler than the quad core system and my rendering times are under 3 hours for the images I create. I am looking forward to testing it with rendering an A0 size image which I'll do tomorrow. I have a 2gig nvidia card and the system reports that I have 4gigs in total available for video. I haven't tried any games on it, as I do not have the time but I am sure it would perform happily. All I can say is that with this financial crisis on, that at least the chip companies are desperate to keep sales going and want to make sure they get repeat business, so obviously they have a decent pricing policy. Either the price is low because of new releases of better technology or the price is low to keep sales growing and stocks low? Either way, I think we live in a disposable society and if you have the cash and the need spend your money and when necessary just upgrade when you can. I wouldn't worry about all the nitty gritty Obsessive compulsive detail about how many mega flops this and that, if it works for you then get it. The price was right for me and I got it and if in 2 or three months a better systems comes I'll get it. right now this is £200 less than what it was a month ago, it's a bargain.
on 13 March 2013
This has had some mixed reviews, but the base line is that for the price it is a monster of a processor.
The one drawback though, is as has been widely reported, it is hit or miss with the stock cooler.
Easily solved though, either buy one from here for about £30, which is a good idea anyway as it can be used in any future builds, or, as i did, use the previous stock cooler. Happened to have come off an FX4100, and works far better than the one supplied with this processor.

Basically, the FX8 series is extremely fast for the price.

Having run it now for a week, also installed an Arctic Extreme Cooler for £17 off here, running at 3.4ghz as stock with optimized defaults in the bios and Perfomance power settings in Windows 7. Its quick!!!

For anyone who likes to overclock,as a test i tried. This can be overclocked easily. Simply changed a few things in the bios (Turbo Boost, multipliers etc), a simple web search will tell you the ideal settings dependent on your set up, and.................4Ghz without even thinking about it. Running at stock though now, as quite frankly, it runs any game on the market with an HD6850 gpu.