on 17 October 2014
I purchased this for my grandson’s 4th birthday - we were initially very pleased with it and he was able to follow the diagram sequenced instructions and manipulate the small parts, screwdriver etc. with minimal help. There are 3 models described in the enclosed colour booklet and a further 3 available to download in colour from the meccano website.

I have three complaints firstly there are only enough pieces to make the models according to the instructions and no spares for those children who would like to make modifications or use their imagination to attempt their own designs. Secondly some parts are not fit for purpose - in particular the yellow square “nut” parts that are fixed with a yellow slotted “bolt”. The small plastic lugs on the nuts are so small and the plastic so brittle than even the pressure of normal fixing very quickly snaps off the one of the lugs making the part impossible to gain a secure fix with. Any part of the construction that is under any tension - for example when the blue rubber wing shaped components are used - cannot be fixed securely with the yellow nut / bolt devices. A simple threaded screw would have been preferable. Grandson’s birthday was 1st October - by 14th October all by two of these components are broken making it impossible to construct any of the models securely.

I would make the point that the meccano has been used each time under the supervision of either my husband or myself, and there was no undue force or improper use.

Finally it is not possible to add to this set and buy additional parts to make different models - so there is no longer lasting appeal.
I would not recommend this toy in its current form for those reasons.
on 28 April 2013
My boys love making and constucting things.
Bought this and they have spent HOURS making different things.
They love it so much that they even make sure they put all the tiny peices back in the box as they have learnt that if they lose a vital bit, they wont be able to make other projects.
Instructions are really easy to follow as well.
Well worth the money and I have had to buy another set as they tend to fight over the peices.
on 25 April 2013
Bought with fracture of the price and happy with it.
Good toy for kids who like to construct, use tools, invent.
Box is nice too, quiet big and looks like papa's toolbox.
Would recommend.
on 11 November 2014
I bought this as it was a great concept toy (as well as seeing many good reviews of Meccano) and my son would love this kind of toy. However, the quality of the material is alright, but after building the whole vehicle, it easily falls apart again (even when you are in the process of trying to build it together). Not to mention you can't play with it that much after building it................... not much point in buying the toy itself if we can't physically fit them together.
on 30 December 2012
Bought for our 6 year old Grandson who loves building things. The fact that it can make upto 6 different models is a bonus, he loved it.
on 27 December 2012
My granddaughter thought it was great at the age of 4and 8months,kept her busy most of the afternoon,and granddad too.
on 5 January 2014
This was bought for my 6 year old to try and diversify his interests (he loves Lego). The principle of this younger version of Meccano is really good. I like how the nuts slot into spaces so that it is easier to then turn the bolts to secure them. He enjoyed being able to use a special screwdriver to fix things together. However, some of the pieces didn't really click together securely enough for him to be able to play with toy once he had made it. The instructions are very clear and pretty easy to follow. My son is not 100% with it yet but I feel he will get into it more with time. The tool box that it comes in is a really nice feature as it means the pieces don't lost in his box of other toys etc. Although there are plenty of different things to make, the paper instructions only detail some of the items. I had to go onto Meccano's website to download quite a few of the things which is not really great when the item is focused on 6 years and upwards and may not have access to a computer for instructions! I have ended up printing them off in colour so my son can use them in his room at his leisure. To get the best from Meccano I feel that more pieces would be helpful to use - limited amounts of nuts, bolts etc mean my son can only make limited things and doesn't have 'free rein' to be creative. I recokon I will have to buy more meccano for my son to get the best of what it can potentially do.
on 28 January 2014
I would have given this 5 stars but there was one component missing so let down by poor quality control. Storage box is plus.
on 5 January 2015
My experience is exactly the same as Doulaly. the small yellow 'nuts' are frail and do not secure the parts right from the word go. I also had a problem with the small round red couplers not being secure enough to hold parts together.we've got two different sets and used them both a couple of times. they are no longer functional. I 'm amazed to find so many people pleased with the product which is clearly not our experience
944se
on 6 January 2015
Really disappointed with how little meccano there was in this box. It was bought as an alternative to lego which my grandson loves but it failed spectacularly compared to lego presents he received at around the same price. He has shown more interest in the carrying case than the meccano which hasn't ignited any interest since it was opened.