on 1 July 2016
Couldn't get in to this story the way I usually do. Touch going back and forward.
This is one hell of a story, more so because it is a true account of a very brave lady.

Gaynor's story starts with her birth in 1963 following her twin sister into the world. Little does that innocent baby know that she has been born to a dysfunctional, alcoholic and violent family. From a very early age Gaynor saw and heard things which no child should ever have to experience and these things scarred and stayed with her for the rest of her life. Some people manage to get on with life without too much baggage sticking to them and others are sensitive and mentally affected by all they have been subjected to. After repeatedly being told by her mother that she is thick, that was exactly what she thought she was and did badly at school. After seeing how alcohol devastated her parents' lives she hated the stuff with a vengeance but after one weak moment when she was a young teenager she became immediately hooked. The journey through her twenties and thirties was a haze of alcohol, escort agencies and one bad relationship after the other. She was taken advantage of by so many people and turned to drink time after time. Gaynor's upbringing gave her a huge inferiority complex which coupled with alcohol lasted for three or four decades of her life. A life wasted until she had the strength and belief that she could turn her back on drink, start a career and live a `normal' life.

Gaynor has written this book with passion, raw emotion and more truth than I would like to reveal about myself to give the reader a terrific roller coaster of a ride of life. Well worth reading.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 January 2012
If I am being totally honest, I wouldn't normally read this sort of book. Instead of reading harrowing tales of people and their battles with real life, I tend to prefer escaping reality into the world of fiction. However, when the author contacted me and asked whether I would like to read it, I said yes. After all this is a woman who has battled against many things and has had the courage to not only live through them, but write about her experience. The least I could do was take the time to read her account.

The book itself is relatively short compared to the normal fiction books I read (just under 150 pages), but the content is more important sometimes that the size of a book and in this case the content is what makes it. The book starts out with Gaynor at a very young age and throughout the book we follow her to the end of her journey to the point she has now reached in her life.

The writing itself is very frank and honest and this drew me in from the very beginning. Her parents were the starting point for Gaynor's early memories of violence and alcohol. She takes us through her school years and into young adulthood and along the way we see the different parts of her life that are affected.

I must say that this makes for compelling reading and I think that many people can empathise with at least on of the issues Gaynor faced in her life, whether it be addiction, abuse or violence of some form. The most horrific part for me is that Gaynor herself had to battle not just one of these things but all of them at some point in her life.

She has written this book to emphasise to people that there is a light at the end of the tunnel n o matter how bad things seem. She is a true testament to what can be achieved as she is now a qualified counsellor who hopes to help others overcome their addictions.

I thought the book was a remarkable story and was done extremely well. Gaynor is not one to point the finger and her account of her life is very factual and in some cases pointing out her own faults too, which I can't imagine would be easy. I can only say that although this wasn't my usual sort of book I loved reading it and can only hope that Gaynor carries on and gets her message across to other people. She seems like a very honest and strong woman to get where she is today and I wish her all the luck in the world.
on 21 October 2015
Easily read & brutally honest account of addiction. As a recovering addict,& upon reading many memoirs, this book is the best I've read. Helped me with the ongoing battle & would recommend to others seeking the same.
on 2 August 2015
This story has educated me on addiction. The power of alcohol and drugs , the way it takes over a life is truly shocking . Well written and what a great read .
on 12 May 2015
Enjoyed reading this book, written well.
A thorough good read, and interesting facts about alcoholism, and the destruction it brings.
on 6 January 2015
Interesting read about the physical & emotional pain in which addiction can do to you. Good on her for getting sober .
on 6 January 2016
It was ok not the best read but fine for the price.
on 23 June 2013
average reading, nothing new
on 23 September 2013
I love a rags to riches book (this obviously from a ragged life to a sort of rich one) but this woman has only herself to blame for her pathetic life. Does she think she's the only one to ever have had an appalling childhood. Thousands of other children have the same kind of upbringing, but do not wallow in their own self pity and blame it on their parents. She chose to stick with these people, no matter how bad they treated her. Her weakness and spineless decisions are obvious throughout the story. I couldn't help but shake my head as I closed the back cover and think that I had just wasted some of my valuable holiday time on this rubbish. I am generous with the one star.....