on 19 September 2013
I was pleased with the "Used - Good" condition item from Amazon Warehouse - at £304. No real sign of use and a bargain (if I ignore the people who secured it for less than £200!).

The item itself is quality - I have used it mainly for iPhone/iPad Airplay and home network as well as DAB and a record player. Airplay is just very poor for me; cuts out a lot - due I'm sure to the location of my Belkin router relative to where I've got the HiFi. Music plays fine over ethernet (I use Powerline adaptors) - so I tend to use the iPhone with Sony's network media app to control playing music over the Home network (that is - DLNA from a NAS).

Can't disagree with the detailed positive reviews on here.

One gripe is that the settings (time and network) are not preserved across a power down. Why oh why can't the device set the time from the web or from DAB (like my much cheaper DAB radio set)? Not much to ask really.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 7 September 2013
I love the HIFI side of this Sony HiFi lovely speakers, but access to my computer using the hard wired the AJ45 connection lead connected to my to my virgin modem is OK and works but that about all. Sony have restricted what you can access on line and want £58 to acess music which is OK but there is little else one can do when I tried to access my computer ( which I set to allow Sony's HIFI to access) i could only see one folder which had music when my music was on another what I thought would be a good thing was pery where one can send music to other parts of the house but as most wireless load speakers are blue tooth and not wireless it is only very few laud speakers that can use it. OK one can get a laptop to play whats playing on the HIFI or a wireless equipped TV sound only. so think hard before making up your mind . I managed to hear online radio once but could not get back to it later on I would have thought then one had connected to a facility there could be a shortcut to access direct. Icould have got the qrong wend of the stick but that what I found.
on 21 July 2014
Very good quality sound from this little unit and a nice solid feel. Only 4 stars, as setting up although seems a straight forward job I was having issues with error messages on the display screen and awful "violent" worrying noises from the speakers, I was all set to return the item but decided to do a little research and found that the speaker connections need to be very good and secure otherwise problems occur, I also changed the cable to some high quality cable that I already had and problem solved, works fantastic :-) better quality cable from the manufacturer would probably have been a good idea.
A bargain at the price £199.
on 16 November 2012
Surprisingly good by the standards of a Sony micro. There is an emphasis on sound quality and styling. I too was going to be swayed by a glowing review of Denon's counterpart but given this was priced at £189.00 and the Denon at over £300 (incl. speakers) it was a no-brainer really. I live several miles from the Crystal Palace transmitter so I have no problems with d.a.b. reception. To do justice to this system you need to replace the speaker cables (QED do good quality and cheap cables) and secondly put the speakers on dedicated stands and you will have a great little system. The sound is never harsh but smooth and measured. I have used the mp3 on the front with an i-phone for pleasing results. Though you should use a rca cable from the aux 1/2 to the headphone outlet from your mp3 player/smart phone for even greater sonic joy (though you will lose the remote facilty to change tracks). Well recommended.
4 people found this helpful
on 19 June 2015
first of all please be advised that this is still a micro system. not a full blown hi fi. a bit of a disappointment. not happy with the clarity of sound. feels like they (sony) have gone for feel-good sound rather than accuracy of reproduction. I have always trusted sony equipment in the past and have not been let down. now I'm not so sure.
on 20 March 2014
I am more than happy with this excellent sound system from Sony. Coupled with an inexpensive DAB aerial (about £10) fitted to an existing aerial on my roof, and 20 metres of 2.5mm multi-stranded speaker cable (about £20 inc) I am delighted with the strong clear signals received and the clarity of the sound from the speakers. I cannot fault it.
Excellent job, Sony and excellent price and service from Amazon.
on 29 July 2015
I feel I need to let everyone know who intends to buy this unit that it no longer receives internet radio via vtuner and hasn't done since 18/05/15. This I understand is something to do with internal dispute between Sony and vtuner. I purchased one of these about 2 years ago and am very dissappointed that I cannot access this - I am currently making enquiries with Sony. Unless you are in a strong DAB area you will need additional aerial.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 16 January 2018
years later the internet radio stopped working.
on 24 December 2012
I purchased this item after many years of purchasing far more expensive Hi-Fi the unit meets all the claims made for it by the manufacturer; great unit, great value for money.

NB. I had to temporarily down my internet firewall to fully set up the Hi Fi unit
on 11 November 2012
Sound quality is very good - I have it hooked up to my TV. The only problem I had was that the stereo's ability to pick up WiFi when placed in a cabinent may not be as good (fixed by moving the router closer). Also I have the now defunct iphone 3G which does not support the remote function. Otherwise does exactly as it says - very happy