on 30 April 2017
Written in first person, the narrator switches between different locations from chapter to chapter. We get the idea that one of these locations is not in our world, although it is called "The End of the World". We learn more about the origin of this strange walled town as the story progresses.

I didn't realise until I finished, but nobody in the story has a name, or at least no one is referred to by name. They are always "Grandfather", "son", the librarian, the old man, the colonel, the chubby young woman. I suspect this is to reinforce our narrator's lack of sense of self, everyone is referred to by their role or appearance, everyone is surface.

I think the genre would be best described as magical realism, and a surreal thread winds its way through the entire book.
on 5 April 2017
Out there like other Haruki Murakami I have read but hugely enjoyable
on 13 June 2017
Totally off the wall! Keeps you guessing as to what is going on the whole way through. Philosophy and theology combined and, of course, the meaning of life...
on 4 May 2017
Very subtly written and trippy. I really enjoyed this book but I feel the translator could have done a better job.
on 28 April 2017
As ever, an interesting Murakami read - he's also very easy to read even when the content is complex
on 17 May 2017
Literally mind blowing! Couldn't stop reading.. Just wish I haven't finished this novel haha
on 27 April 2017
Fantastic and fantastical
VINE VOICEon 14 August 2014
Not Haruki's best book. Split in two half, which alternate (much like the far superior's 1Q84 alternative chapters from male and female viewpoint), this book does it less effectively, and fails to bring them together effectively. I cared for neither side of the story, and found myself more interested in the world hey lived in rather than the gist of the story. I love Murakami- by far my favourite author- and although this is not his worse, it is definitely down in that region. Norwegian wood, 1Q84, South of the border, west of the sun; read these first.
on 9 January 2017
Adore this book, how come I never found this guys books before now.
on 18 March 2017
Husband again, loves his writing brilliant