on 27 June 2017
I honestly have no words. This book told me that words can often the destroy the meaning of things and that once /it/ has happened, you'll understand. That's all I can say about this book, once you've read it, you'll understand. I cannot review it because I'm still in shock. Please read it. You will not regret it. You will read it all and look up from the book or your phone and it feels like a brand new world. Beautiful.
on 24 June 2017
I loved the book, the characters, the philosophy. I found the surreal and abstract concepts a little tricky to follow at times and hard to digest and interpret fully; but if you just let go and follow it through it rewards immensely.

Beautiful and humorous, a truly wonderful story.
on 28 October 2014
I read the whole thing. This is the second Murakami book I've read, and I watched a third in the movies (Norwegian). After this one I've decided I'm not into Murakami, his stories are just too surreal and unsettling for my taste. My general feel is that they tend to be unhappy stories.
on 28 March 2017
Beautiful book
on 4 April 2017
I really enjoyed this twisted modern Oedipus tale. Careful, as a big Murakami fan I might be a bit biased.
on 9 May 2017
I am still fairly new to Haruki Murakami but I am certainly impressed with "Kafka on the Shore". Fantastic read.
on 15 April 2017
Great
on 25 July 2007
I can't think of a book that I've read that has so many things going on. It is an overflowing pot full of ideas and sequences competing for your attention. I am still digesting the book - only finished it this morning - but it seems to me the book is about metaphor and writing. There is a world of meaning but it's fleeting and if you try to hold on to it you do so at a great cost. Ultimately, the task is futile. There is also a message about growing up and renewal - we must leave things we love behind and move on. We can carry memories with us. But memories that are held too tightly become like a weight too heavy to bear. Ultimately though this book probably defies synopsis and that is probably the point. It is about the 90% of our mind that we only glimpse through dreams or actions we can't fully understand. It defies rational explanation.
on 15 February 2017
You will either love it or hate it. Glad I read itand enjoyed it but would not buy another of his
on 26 February 2017
Read this book quickly, too slowly and you'll miss threads and connections. I went through curiosity, intrigue, revulsion and finally a quiet acceptance of otherness as I read this. Worth the time, but engage your brain!
More detail karenmartinreads.blogspot.co.uk