Customer reviews

on 9 September 2016
I enjoyed these ballet performances very much.
on 8 April 2015
Excellent. Was very pleased with it. Some ballets I hadn't seen before.
on 30 April 2015
Excellent, a great addition to my collection.
on 29 July 2015
Wonderful.
on 19 November 2014
Brilliant recording. Thoroughly wonderful throughout.
on 14 September 2014
All arrived on time, dvd as described, very satisfied.
on 11 May 2012
Les Patineurs is perhaps one of the first sequences of Ballet Music I fell in love with and became ingrained into my musical psyche - I still have the Vinyl record of Charles McKerras conducting this from my dad's collection dating from 1962. (Seeing) The very name of this ballet recorded on DVD - and I just ordered it. All that is to be said about the ballet has already been reviewed by Mr.Giles and I have little to add. Yes, like one reviewer mentioned, I think the Blue Boy could have been a little better, although I have not seen any other version of this ballet live or otherwise. But I can imagine.

BUT SURPRISE :

I thought the other two ballets, whose music by itself is not as popular as a sequence unlike the Patineurs, was a revelation - A further revelation about Ashton's genius, that could be matched only by another great, Ronald Petit... I find a great deal of similarities in the approach, especially their objective of making an evening of ballet both absorbing and entertaining, no questions asked.

The choreography in the Divertissements is a work of a genius and beautifully danced. Of all those, the only one I found to be a little on the superficial (meaning no great treatment, just the usual grind) side was the Tamara Rojo's Brahms solo. Somehow it didn't match the magic of the others.

As far as the Stravinsky Scenes de ballet was concerned, I was blown away. I have known the music well, and to see it danced exactly the way I imagined it could be, was so satisfying. The whole reminded me of the comment telegraphed by the person who commissioned it in the first place who wrote to Stravinsky, "YOUR MUSIC GREAT SUCCESS STOP COULD BE SENSATIONAL SUCCESS IF YOU WOULD AUTHORISE ROBERT RUSSELL BENNETT RETOUCH ORCHESTRATION STOP BENNETT ORCHESTRATES EVEN THE WOKS OF COLE PORTER." To which Stravinsky replied: "SATISFIED WITH GREAT SUCCESS."

So was I with this DVD. Pity those lovers of Ballet who dont have this one in their collection. How I wish ballets like 'La Boutique Fantasque' or 'Gaite Parisienne' and Glazunov's 'Scenes de Ballet' and 'Seasons' are produced and recorded.... I hope this DVD and its sales may prove that point to the powers that be...
on 17 April 2012
Two very different Ashton ballets, & a series of pas de deux & solos, all very well done. They show Ashton's musicality & versatility.
on 26 March 2014
I caught part of Les Patineurs on Sky Arts and liked it that much I searched for it on DVD. Although a little pricey (I would expect Bluray for this price) Its definitely worth it, absolutely love Les Patineurs, the other divertissements and scene de ballet are very good (Tamara Rojos turn in the style of isadora duncan is eye opening to say the least .. I think Tamara must be the first 'method' dancer I've ever seen!) but really for me its all about Les Patineurs which is a beautifully charming piece, very Ashton but also (as some of the dancers discussin the extras) also an incredibley demanding work even by modern standards (it was created in 1937)

Treat yourself its worth it.
on 29 March 2013
I would recommend this DVD to anyone who enjoys Ashton choreography. It was extremely varied and colourful and the dancing was beautiful.