TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 October 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I would rate this software as good for someone new to Quickbooks but not really worth it if you have one of the more recent versions already. As a new piece of software I do think it makes running your own accounts fairly straightforward, provided you follow the Setup Wizard. This might not be flexible enough for some but if you are looking to be a bit more creative beyond basic accounts then Quickbooks probably isn't for you anyway. It does have enough options to not feel completely restrictive, and there are a decent range of options in terms of customising your invoices and reports, but don't expect to be able to completely tailor this without getting online with the forums and spending quite a bit of time setting things up.

If you are upgrading then I would encourage you to think hard about the expense. I don't believe there are masses of extra features that people will use beyond what 2010 offered. And there are a number of tales about how the upgrade process can be less than simple and I have to say from what I have witnessed this is true. If you are thinking up upgrading to this I would follow what seems to be accepted advice from the forums and backup your company files first, then do a clean install rather than an upgrade. It will take quite a bit of time but I believe this is the lowest risk approach.

All in all Quickbooks is still, I believe, the market leader in out of the box accounting software. It can make running a small business much easier and it can save you a lot of expense. That all does require effort in time and patience. I would probably only recommended for new users rather than those with earlier versions.
VINE VOICEon 30 December 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having thought about starting a small business, there is a lot to consider. Money inflow, outflow, invoicing customers, sending reports to suppliers, tracking payments and overall company performance etc...

Intuit creates accounting software similar to what finance uses at work (Oracle) to track/make payments and ensure that money is properly accounted for. In terms of interface, Intuit wins here. It looks nicer to use and is just as functional.

You have multiple templates for reports, invoices, profit/loss forecasts and other book-keeping that the small business would need to do. If you were previously book-keeping in Excel, that is fine. Intuit allows for you to import a lot of data simply via drag and drop into certain tables. As an Excel user you will be familiar with the spreadsheet column structure to input information, making the transition very easy.

Where Intuit shines though is the amount of at hand help. 30 days support via phone and an excellent online help client that is launched when you start the main program. Live Community shows you information you might find helpful based upon what part of the program you are currently in. E.g. if you are looking at payroll, it will helpfully suggest to you how to set up a new employee who has joined a company mid-way through a month to ensure they get the right entitlement to benefits and do not overpay on tax. It's these little details that make Quickbooks so endearing to the new user. Plus if you don't find the answer you're looking for, there is always the option to ask the community of quickbooks users via the dedicated forums.

*note* As both 2012 Pro and 2012 Pro + Payroll are similar I used the first part of my review to highlight the same experience. However in the interests of testing, this was used on a Windows 7 laptop instead of a desktop computer. Other than running a little slower (it takes a while to start up) it runs exactly the same.
VINE VOICEon 15 December 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Pros

+ Allows you to quickly and efficiently manage finances
+ The CALENDAR view is useful - you can see an organised view of appointments, to-dos, invoices to send out & bills to pay with one click.
+ This new 2012 version integrates with Excel much better. You can save worksheet formatting (e.g. bold, italics), so when you generate reports it uses these settings.
+ The Lead Centre (under the Customer menu) is a very useful for keeping track of leads / potential customers. There are multiple fields for recording all sorts of info, including their Twitter name. You can also import from spreadsheets. So, effectively you get a Contact Management System (CMS) built-in.
+ Less paper clutter - I don't have to rummage through piles of paper to see what bills are due, when.
+ VAT calculations are extremely quick.

Cons

- It's expensive, with justification. An alternative is to subscribe to their monthly plan, which let's you store data online.
- You need to backup because if you lose your data, you'll be in hot water. And what if your backups become corrupted. So, explore a good backup strategy. Make sure you do offsite backup to protect yourself from a fire or theft. Quickbooks Online is an alternative you might want to consider.
- You need to buy more license to use it on more than one computer. The license is per computer, rather than per user.

Bottom Line

It gives you breathing space to focus on more important business tasks.
on 15 March 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using this software for a couple of months now, having trained myself up on the more basic version. Like the SimpleStart version, I found my entire computer slowed down by the presence of Quickbooks. Whilst it was easy for me to find my way around the software, and not need to refer to books or looking online for help, it isn't totally trustworthy. I found a couple of mistakes in the records I produced while using Quickbooks, and I don't believe it was human error (although I acknowledge I'm not perfect!) Overall, it's OK, but not as good as the hype would have you believe. I am going to continue on my quest for simple, yet effective accounting software, as I've not found it yet.
on 8 June 2012
We upgraded from QB 2010 to QB 2012. While I found the upgrade from 2006 to 2010 worthwhile this upgrade didn't add anything new for us. The product in of itself is pretty good but the support is worse than useless. One of the most frustrating/time consuming/teeth grinding/horrendous support experiences of my life was trying to report a problem we found with the Unrealized gain/loss report. It was not taking into account historic home currency adjustments and therefore did not agree with the balance sheet and therefore posted an incorrect gain/loss for the year. Not hard to manually calculate using the B/S but I thought I'd report it. I wish I hadn't. The support person just didn't understand the basic concepts.

Conclusion: If you're looking for a small business accounting package this works well. If you're upgrading from QB 2006 or earlier it's worth the update. If you're already on 2010 you can probably skip this release. If you need support use the forums, 'official' support is embarrassingly poor.

Update: After wasting half a day trying to solve an error when saving reports to PDF (and other small issues) I ended up uninstalling 2012 and going back to 2010. Win 7 x64.
VINE VOICEon 4 December 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This QuickBooks Pro 2012 is accounting software designed to help you manage your small business better. There is also a straightforward "how to" with the CD.

Easy & quick to install; the set up timer initially indicated a set up time of 2 hours but all was accomplished within 30 minutes. Existing company data from an older version of QuickBooks imported satisfactorily and avoided the laborious task of having to re-input all of the existing information stored. My system was up and running and fully functional within 30 minutes.

I am able to print, send emails from Pro 2012 and use report functions with great ease now and the facility to use webmail is a boon. The problems with creating PDFs and integrated email functions on earlier versions attempting to work with Windows7 64Bit systems have now been addressed; it's just a pity that they could not have been updated properly on the older versions and we have to install the latest Pro 2012 version but what the heck, I now have a fully working system.

The report features are better displayed and are easy to access. The templates continue to work well, but logos had to be re-imported, however again no problems in doing this.

All in all, a nice piece of software!
VINE VOICEon 19 January 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the second of these packages that I have used and I am again delighted with it. I run a small company & was sick of paying a monthly fee for my accountant to do what looked to be simple figure work. I also wanted to get more up to date and to get away from using paper filing. So I decided to upgrade and come into the 21st century & get this. I installed the product on to my computer and have been learning to use it. It is very easy to use and eventually also to teach someone, who has even limited computer skills, to use this program. It is also user-name and password protected, so all of your important information is kept safe and private. You just log in and within 30 seconds can find the amount, check number, or any other information about a previous payment that you have received. You can also create and print invoices very easily, and easily enter in the information when the customer pays, or go back to see if someone has paid. You can easily put different information/prices for each customer, or keep them all the same. When the customer pays, you can easily log in and check off that you have received payment. You can also store addresses and phone numbers. There is a great step by step tutorial at the beginning that will help easily explain everything and how it works.I have been very impressed with this program. The way the program is set up is very user friendly and easy to understand. We are getting organised and completly away from the paper method now. We have been using it for a while now and love it. Very good price and I think anyone who buys this product will be very happy with it. I would reccommend this to anyone who runs a small business.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 January 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
QuickBooks Pro 2012 is Intuits middle version of its small business software package; SimpleStart is around a third of the price whilst the Premier version is considerably more expensive. You will need to check what each version offers to see which meets your needs, but the cheaper version may be a good place to start if you are unfamiliar with how the software works.

I quite like Intuits products and used their Quicken software for my home finances for many years. The Pro version of QuickBooks offers more features than I actually need so I have not tested it as thoroughly as some others reviewers may have done - but what I have used worked fine for me.

Intuit offer a 60 day trial period and claim they will refund your purchase price if you are not fully satisfied with the product within that time scale- provided you supply a dated receipt. They also offer 30 days of technical support from the date of registration. With those safeguards I would recommend at least trying one of the versions of QuickBooks - and if it doesn't suit then hopefully Intuit will be as good as their word and give you a refund. Five stars for that level of customer service - but see limitations below!

Disclaimers:
1. If you are not fully satisfied, return the product to Intuit within 60 days with a dated receipt for a full refund of your purchase price, excluding P&P.
2. GFK RT UK Accounting Software data for retail desktop units Sept 10-Aug 11.
3. QuickBooks 2012 technical support is included for 30 consecutive days from first-time registration. First-time registration must be completed within 30 days of purchase UK only, see terms and conditions inside software. Intuit reserves the right to limit the length of the telephone call.
on 9 January 2012
I've used Quickbooks since 1995 (version 3 back then if I remember correctly) The new 2012 edition comes with a few additional refinements which just makes accounting and managing my business that bit easier, calendar view, item notepad, the ability to open two company files at once and list management to name a few.

What I would like to see is a greater selection of sample company files that illustrate ALL of the available features that Quickbooks has to offer ...worked examples have always been the best source of help for me when learning how to use a Quickbooks feature. Another longed for function would be the ability to create hyperlinks within Quickbooks to open other files... pictures of sales items, spare parts, voice memos, employee photos etc. Could an enhancement to the notepad so it works more like a word document achieve this?

As an accounting package it offers everthing for the small to medium sized business, it's stable, utterly reliable and it's been around long enough for me to feel re-assured it will be around and supported for years to come. The afore mentioned enhancement requests would add the icing to an already tasty and well made cake.

Peter
on 23 May 2012
Its so easy to export the reports to Excel where you can then manipulate and sort the data to how you need it. It is incredibly time saving and the formatting looks good as well