Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 June 2011
This is a curiosity in some ways. I've been playing it in the car - and it's good driving music. I'm not sure where else it sits in my personal music-playing canon. The infectious enthusiasm that Hugh Laurie communicated in his various televisual appearances promoting this album (which certainly inspired me to buy it) isn't, actually, obvious in the music itself. But then - blues ain't supposed to be enthusiastic; that's why it has minors and flats in it.

The album betrays its origins as being by someone who - because he's famous for other things - can easily surround himself with legendary musicians and the whole thing has a big brashness as a result. This is not A Bad Thing. Indeed, this may be how southern blues is recorded these days.

The album is mainly standards, one or two I didn't know. Mr Laurie plays up a storm on both guitar and piano and turns out to have a great blues voice. His band is first rate (see above) I particularly like the percussionist, who has a lot of imagination.

The only thing I found slightly frustrating was that the standards on the album all seem to be missing the words that I know (and I know quite a few versions to most of these) and be supplied with (fewer)different ones. I know blues music isn't set in stone, but it does mess up my harmonies.

Is Death Really Necessary?
on 18 June 2011
This is a side of Hugh Laurie I didn't know but now that I have discovered he has such talent as a musician and singer as well as an actor, I say let's have more of the former.
This album is a gem and ranks among the best of CD's I have bought or have been given. Hugh is clearly a gifted pianist and singer. Let Them Talk not only shows his gifts in foot-tapping style, it also brings together some of the best blues musicians you are ikely to hear.
It is superb selection of top quality songs performed by top quality musicians. Take a brek from filing, Hugh, and get another CD recorded - then another and another........
Roland (Wiltshire)
on 21 June 2017
This over-gifted man turns out to be a fantastic pianist and a great singer. This is my most played CD. This is great Jazz performed by Hugh and friends. Outstanding!
on 27 July 2017
Good original blues with great new and o old presentations
on 30 August 2017
good quality
on 11 July 2017
Good
on 19 June 2013
His love of blues music really comes over well. First rate playing from Laurie and his backing band.
As Bonzo Dog asked, 'Can white men sing the blues'. Hugh Laurie has a really good stab at answering this !