Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£8.63

on 18 July 2014
First I would like to point out that I am normally a huge fan of Robert McCammon and have read a lot of his books - Boy's Life is my all time favourite. However this book I wont pick up again. Its okay, not brilliant - doesnt have his usual flair and there are so many characters its difficult to get emotionally involved with any of them. By contrast Swan Song still manages to get you involved despite its equally numerous characters. Seems slightly teen sentational. If you are new to his works i would suggest Boy's Life/Gone South/Swan Song/Speaks the Nightbird as much stronger works of his.
on 5 November 2015
don't read late at night!
on 7 March 2017
Well pleased
on 19 March 2008
This is the best vampire novel i have ever read even kings salems lot cowers at its feet.The atmosphere from the very start is one of unease reaching out to absolute terror.Unlike many horror writer robert r mccammon has the knack of making you feel that you are part of the entire story rather than an onlooker.I couldnt put this book down at all.buy it,read it and share it,its incredible.it desverves 10 out of five stars.
on 8 February 2012
Haven't really been frightened by anything since "The Exorcist" in 1974. (I was sixteen.).I find gory stuff repulsive rather than scary. There's more than gore here though. I found myself pulling the duvet right up under my chin and developed a reluctance to turn the light off! Ridiculous of course, I mean everyone knows that vampires don't really exist.......isn't that so!?
on 29 November 2012
I've always liked Robert R.McCammon and this is one of his best books. Yes, you have to accept vampires exist but once, for the purpose of enjoying the story, you have, this unfolds at almost breakneck speed. There's a logic to the way the vampire 'army' multiplies and takes over more and more of the country that is often missing in such stories. I had this in paperback many years ago and have revisited it on my Kindle. If you like horror stories this is an ideal companion to curl up in bed with. Best read at night with the lights right down!
on 24 November 2014
I read this book years ago, and Ive been hoping it was going to migrate to Kindle because when I first read it i wasn't really into reading as much as now, and although I remembered the basis of the story, i couldn't remember the characters. I have just finished it , and it was awesome, it wasn't the new lovey dovey vampire books this is the real deal, how you would expect them. the hero's of the book are like you and me and I was left waiting until the end to find out who won the battle. Loved it
on 13 February 2015
This book started off pretty well and I really enjoyed two previous books from this author so I thought I was going to love it!
Sadly that wasn't the case, the first 200 pages or so we're good, but from then I found it a struggle. It became a bit slow moving at times and there seemed to be chapters here and there that didn't really need to be in the story at all.

I'll definit be checking more out by McCammon because like I said I enjoyed the previous two I read (boys life and swan song) so it's highly likely I'll enjoy others. Just not this one.

All reviews can be found at lennonslair.blogspot.co.uk
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2011
I first read this book when I was 15 and it was then that I realized how scary the written word could be. Unfortunately I lost my copy over the following years and bought it from Amazon last year, 20 years on (not afraid to show my age!) and re-discovered how good it was!

This book is brilliantly paced, giving you a taste early on of what's to come without giving up too much too soon and is gripping from start to finish. On both occasions I found it hard to put down!

In an age where vampires have becoming nothing more than petulant, brooding, adolescent fodder come and discover what vampires should REALLY be like!!
on 4 February 2012
I'm always surprised when I read that Robert McCammon includes They Thirst in his list of early books he refuses to let be reprinted because he doesn't believe they are up to standard. Needless to say, I heartily disagree with him! For me, They Thirst gripped me when I first read it decades ago and never left me since. Easily the best vampire novel of its generation - Stephen King's Salem's Lot being the second. I was kept on the edge of my seat, heart in my mouth as vampires took over Los Angeles in a chillingly plausible way. Along with the author's Swan Song and The Wolf's Hour, this is one of the three best horror novels I've had the pleasure to read in my long history of exploring the genre.