on 4 March 2014
If you are a fan of the TV series Luther then you need to read this book! It tells the background of how John Luther got to be the way he is and leads neatly into the first episode of series 1. Many times whilst reading this book I found myself thinking 'Oh, so that explains XYZ about the series'. I also liked how I could read it and imagine the voices and faces of all the people in the show.
Well written and sometimes rather shocking, I think this would also be a good read for someone who is not familiar with the series that is a fan of thrillers.
Rumour is that the tentatively predicted forthcoming Luther film will be based on this book and if so it should be a cracker.
My husband, who is not usually a fan of crime novels, but loves the TV series also gives this book 5 stars and I have never seen him read a book so quickly!
on 29 April 2016
Fabulous - the writing style is so 'right' for the story - you read it and you 'see' it in your head as vividly as the TV series. The story is moving and exciting and the pace builds up from slow frantic as all the sleep-deprived detectives and cops work to save a child and stop a serial killer. This novel is a prequel to the TV series episode 1.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 July 2013
This is a well written, plotted and characterised novel. It involves the hunt for a psychopath who murdered a couple and stole the pregnant wife's baby. I understand that this novel came after the TV series which I have never seen. I have rated the book 4 stars as it is a quality product but I didn't like it. I don't like the way it is written in the present tense and I don't like John Luther and his methods - it's too much like the Sweeney and the 70s for me. It's not the violence I dislike as I've read worse it's the arrogant mindset that the end justifies the means and that his views and objectives are the correct ones.
on 7 April 2016
Absolutely loved this book, as watched the series could visualise the characters which I think really added to the enjoyment. John Luther is really passionate about his job and often acts in a way which makes his colleagues uncomfortable . we see the personal troubled mind he has and the effect on his marriage.
on 1 November 2015
If you've enjoyed Luther on TV Luther Season 1, this is required reading. Fairly standard crime thriller, but well done, and with all the back story you need: this novel is basically the prequel to episode 1. Brilliant.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 July 2016
I'm a huge fan of the Luther series and wasn't sure where this novel fitted in with that but it is all explained in a post script at the end. I enjoyed the storyline which was made easier by picturing Idris Elba in the role. Read in one sitting as could not put it down. I have since purchased another Neil Cross novel in which a few of the minor characters from the Luther novel appear. Can't wait to read another.
on 31 July 2013
This book had me hooked from the offset. The plot is fast and racy, and scary, the characters exciting. I find the descriptions of animal cruelty difficult to read and it was certainly gory and gruesome. But if you like your police drama hard hitting rather than whimsical then this certainly hits the mark. Excellent storylines and I stayed up far too late at night reading (and then of course being just a lilttle scared). This was the first book from this author that I have read, but I am certainly going to be reading his other novels.
on 27 October 2013
Having watched all three series of Luther I entered serious withdrawal and so bought this book. Crime is crowded a literary genre with more than its fair share of dross but this is a superior entry in the canon, up there with Thomas Harris. The prose is tight, economical and vivid, with characters drawn in indelible deep strokes and the use of the present tense lends it a relentless urgency and often uncomfortable immediacy. The plot is every bit as mental and OTT as any televised episode of Luther, in fact it is even more grim and grand guignol with a catalogue of the most appalling murders covering almost every subject from the cradle to the grave from baby snatching to paedophilia, rape and necrophilia. Some of the violence and cruelty is very strong and those with weak stomachs should avoid! Dog lovers too; I am not one, but even I found what happened to a character's dog quite distressing. The book really gets into your head and it barrels along at breakneck speed, driven by Luther's almost psychopathic obsessiveness. An excellent and highly entertaining story and an essential prequel to the Luther TV series, obviously a must have for all Luther fans.
on 7 November 2016
Fast paced and captivating. I read this book in about a day and enjoyed every minute of it. It is set just before the start of the TV series and I think if you enjoy the show, you will enjoy this book
on 23 March 2017
Gritty, chilling, and one I decided not to finish just before going to sleep. Excellent stuff for Luther fans everywhere.