Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.88

on 18 October 2012
"The Keeper" is a gentle read. There is no high packed action, no full bloodied romance and no intricate who-dunnit mystery but at all times, the charm of the book holds the reader's attention.

It appeals on several levels. The well developed characters and amusing series of events seem to be drawn from the author's actual experiences as a carp fisherman. I am sure his circle of friends will enjoy trying to match fact with fiction.

As a carp fisherman myself, I appreciate the way he has captured the spirit of the sport. Many of the situations and emotions described could slide neatly into my own memories. Being on Kindle, I was able to read it at the lakeside during fishing sessions and soak up the atmosphere as I read it.

The book will also appeal to a much wider audience who have never wet a line. It might help explain why the sport generates such a passion amongst those who practise it. This is a book for everyone.
on 11 May 2014
A good story, leaving scope for more. A much better book than the myth, but you need to read both. The only problem with this book is that it has made me question why do I go fishing. Having said that I would still recommend this book.
on 20 January 2013
The Keeper by Keith Jenkins has been the first fictional fishing book I've read and can honestly say I enjoyed it from start to finish. I found the writing style very descriptive and easy to read which helps transport the reader into the magical world of the mere. Throughout the book it reminds you that fishing is not all about catching fish and is often more about just being outside enjoying nature in all its beauty. Full of likeable characters, each with a different piece of the story to play out, means you never get bored reading about one character and instead are left wanting more whilst wondering what's going to happen to each of the characters next. Overall a great book that begs not to be put down, highly recommended whether you're an angler or not you'll love this book. Can't wait for the Myth to become available on kindle.
I was provided with a review copy of this book, but here I provide an unbiased review based on reading the book in full.
Firstly I had never heard of the author, not being in any way into fishing. I wouldn't be able to name a fish if it bit me on the bum (a dogfish?) and getting up to go fishing would, to me, appear a punishment.
But this is a gorgeous looking book, and I thought I might have a glimpse of something out of my normal sphere of reading.
Yes there is a fishing theme, and a carp (which is a fish I learn) and the lake is a bit of a central theme around which the author places a number of characters. This is actually a book about people and their relationships and outlooks but set clearly within an outdoor environment.
All joking apart I warmed to a subject I thought I might not, and I started to care about the characters, even the bloody fish! It is well written by an author who knows his stuff but this is character driven fiction, not "a story that fishing types might like'. And as such, I enjoyed it and while it may have taken me out of my comfort zone, rest assured I have no desire to sit beside a bit of water waiting for something to yank on the end if my fishing stick. But this was good stuff.
on 10 June 2013
After reading The Myth the expectation of getting into The Keeper was high. I had heard the content was strikingly similar to a water I was once a member of and I wasn't disappointed. The maturing of the two young lads and their progress through life and their fishing was a joy and having started at an early age myself brought back many pleasant memories. This is a wonderful book which quite rightly highlights the beauty of the countryside, which passes so many unfortunates by, as well as some fishing. But it's so much more than that. It's about respect, right and wrong, and just a little bit of luck. I can't recommend this highly enough and I will be looking to purchase copies as soon as is possible.
on 23 September 2014
This was a gentle book of a community around a lake over several years, as a fishery owner the problems the Mere faced I can identify with, seen it all, so very true to life. I read it night fishing on my Kindle with a glass of wine (or Two) while reading about people night fishing with a glass of wine or two. Ironic me thinks...
on 10 April 2013
This book picks up from where the Myth left off, However things are seen through the eyes of a different group of people..some nice and some just downright nasty but all with one aim to catch a monster carp. Trials and tribulations along the way by everyone involved are woven into a charming and delightful tale. Again we have the story told from the carps point of view. A guardian angel in the form of an 'enigmatic' man gives his name to this tale. He almost thinks carp!! Knowing where and when they will be certain places when anglers around thrash the water to a foam. I really enjoyed this story..more so than the original. Its definately worth reading.
on 2 December 2011
Keith Jenkins was first brought to my attention by a keen "Carp" fisherman,(are there other types?!), who religiously drinks in the Authors monthly column in a magazine cleverly named "Carp Fishing". His excitement for the publication was never going to be matched as this reviewer would rather be nailing his "tackle" to a table than be sitting by a cold lake waiting 4 hours for a bite! However, the need to be a keen Angler to understand and be absorbed by the wordsmithery of Mr Jenkins is not a necessity. After downing three or four months worth of witty ramblings, (with hardly a mention of a Carp), I warmed to him. It was at this point The Keeper was brought to my attention.
His ability to write was never in question, but was I ever going to be able to read 300 pages ostensively about a fish, and the answer turned out to be a resounding yes..... and no!
I begain reading in earnest expecting the old "One that got away" story stretched enough to be accepted as a novel and found myself enraptured by the characters. Old Ted, the country stalwart whose wisdom holds more than a candle to Methuselah, revered and looked up to by everyone without a question or doubt as to his past. "Posh", a boy we all knew from our childhood and who never fails to bring a smile to our reminissing faces, his new friend, Smiffy who adapts to his new country roll with a vigour that again reminds us of the excitement of youth. The periferal characters and the Carp add to the beauty of the story..... Even the lake, the scene of a large proportion of the novel grew to have a personality.
A fishing tail, yes. A tail for fisherman, no. The developement of the characters and the relationships that grow between them has a charm that is both difficult and infrequantly accumplished in many novels. A story that is both sweet and warming, charming and not without humour, ensuring that in 10 years time when Mr Jenkins decides to raise the characters again, this reader will be in the queue for a copy....... if I'm not off fishing that is!!The Keeper
on 9 October 2012
A fantastic book with a great story that can easily be enjoyed by carpers and non anglers alike. Good strong characters that can be easily related too. Set over about a ten year span the book builds nicely and paints a picture of an idilic place. This a an enchanting story bringing together elements living alongside nature whilst also being a bit of a coming of age story to boot. I'm not normally a reviewer of items but I took exception in this case I only have a couple of chapters left and to be honest I don't want it to end. Download to your kindle or other enabled tablet / phone and enjoy or buy the traditional book a enjoy a captivating read.
on 1 October 2013
Fantastic reading.
From start to finish I couldn't put the book down
Picks up where the myth left off and plays out over generations
Brilliant you will not be disappointed