Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 December 2011
I'll tell you exactly what happened, they have gone the same way as Oakenfold, Tiesto, Ferry Corsten and to a certain extent Mr trance himself Armin Van Buuren.

The growing influence of the U.S led EDM market has been affecting the style of what I would call "proper trance" for a while and here we can see what impact it has had in its full glory. Slow Housey/ Progressive tracks with little or no resemblance to the sound that has made Anjunabeats great for all these years. I thought the reason for sister label Anjunadeep was to separate the different genre's however I simply cannot believe how poor this album actually is. WHERE IS THE TRANCE????????

Gone is the magic of the "Tri-State" era where the London based lads left us spellbound with their beautiful blend of uplifting vocal trance. The signs have been there for a while however this release confirms my fears, Above & Beyond and Anjunabeats have lost their soul :(

Listening to Volume 1 -5 of this series just shows how magical the boys once where and to see how poor they have actually become is quite staggering. Some people say change is good, and no doubt the Anjuna fan boys and girls from the US will buy it in their thousands but take a step back a few years and you tell me which is their best work???

Will they ever achieve the heights of Volumes 1 to 5 again??? Probably not, which is why I now listen to such labels as "Enhanced Recordings" who are the new pioneer's of uplifting trance!!!

If your a trance fan, trust me, Avoid at all costs.
on 17 November 2011
Well this is different; to criticise an Anjunabeats release doesn't feel right, but having listened to volume 9 a few times now, I have to be honest. In my opinion, it simply isn't as good as the previous volumes. Obviously, A&B can only include what is out there, and as usual the standard of mixing is second to none. They are still the best at this, in my opinion. But song selection leaves a little to be desired. Tracks 2 and 3 on the first CD, for example, are not great; Afterthought is aptly named and Median is well below the average standard. I love Cramp's RU116 though, so at this point I was feeling more positive about the rest of the album. However, overall I was left disappointed. We seem to have an influx of what I would describe as 'electro' songs on the album. I'm not sure it is electro by definition, but to me it's not trance and it's not Anjunadeep-type house either. The smooth quality and elation of tracks on previous albums is nowhere near as prevalent in volume 9. Anyone who had the (mis?)fortune of listening to Andrew Bayer's latest album, well, whilst volume 9 isn't that eclectic, it is slightly veering in that direction.
Don't get me totally wrong, it's not a terrible album by any means, but Anjunabeats' releases have set such high standards that I can't help being disappointed. The best tracks, in my opinion, are those that are more 'traditional' Anjunabeats, such as Cramp's RU116 and all of Oliver Smith's tracks. Perhaps, given this, I just don't like change, but I do believe it's more that I don't like the style as much. Maybe this is the way 'trance' music is going, or perhaps A&B are diversifying. Having said that, those songs that are more traditional Anjunabeats aren't quite as uplifting as others in previous albums, in my opinion.
But A&B are still the best in this field - buy it and see what you think.
on 28 December 2011
I have every single Above & Beyond album and have been a huge fan, and after the excellent Anjunabeats 8 I was looking forward to hearing what Volume 9 had to offer, but unfortunately it turns out to be rather bland.

As usual the mixing is first class, but there is no uplifting trance which is what Anjunabeats has traditionally been about. I suppose I should have seen it coming as A&B's Trance Around The World radio show has been all about progressive tracks this year. If the text in the booklet about their new sound is anything to go by I think the Anjunabeats I've known and loved is dead and that's a shame.

For the first time listening to an Anjunabeats album I was actually bored, especially by the first disc. At least the second disc has some intensity but it's not the uplifting style I enjoy and expect from Above & Beyond. I hope this is just a blip and they return to their uplifting style in Volume 10.
on 17 December 2013

Catch The Eye- Cramp 6/10
Contrast- Sunny Lax 9/10
Dyno- Mike Koglin Vs. Genix 5/10
on 17 November 2011
Felt like forever waiting for this after 8, and understandbly took a while, what with all the going's on in between times, touring all over the world and the release of their first album of all their own stuff...

Anyways, on to the review. At first listen this isn't as good as any of the previous vol's for Anjunabeats, but it is a grower, few listens in and it starts to sparkle (if only a little).

It has all their usual production values, in-house artists etc, and some totally new tracks, however it just doesn't sit together that well (comparing against previous releases again, as what better yardstick to judge it by!)

Judging it on it's own, it is very good, just not exceptional, and hence the 4 stars.

Listen, enjoy and get the rest, if you don't have them already :)
on 11 November 2014
This anjunabeats outing IMO is their poorest out of the 11 volumes. I am no authority on music but I guess you cant be excellent all of the time. cd 2 last track 14 is fantastic and I think it is among only a handful of good tracks. Mixing as allways is superb. great graphic artwork but just a shame the album doesn't live up to it. I have given it a generous 3 stars.
on 2 June 2016
Well, what can I say? Where do I start?

A&B have always been a firm favourite of mine and this album does not disappoint! An incredible selection of music - a load which aren't as common as the others, but that just makes the album even better.

Really easy to listen to even if you're not a big trance fan - a very good buy!
on 9 December 2011
Well what can i say,i have been an anjunabeats fan for years but this is by far the worst release yet,normally one cd is a
lot worse than the other but both were no good,after last years release which i thought both cds were good,its all gone a
bit dull,no uplifting tunes,just bland electro beats on both cds,my advise,dont waste your money on this cd,it surely will
be better next time round.
on 10 August 2014
It's not seamless, but it's not far behind the best in this series; Anjunabeats 8 was a hard act to follow, but this is pretty decent. I prefer 9 to 10. I can listen all the way through which I don't tend to do with 10.

Best track on CD1: Cramp - RU116
Best track on CD2: Andrew Bayer feat. Molly Bancroft - Keep Your Secrets
on 18 November 2011
A much more progressive sounding compilation than the last two outings. Decent tunes from Maor Levi and Matt Lange as well as some new stuff from Above and Beyond. Despite being a huge fan of Jaytech, couldnt help but think his tunes belong more on Anjunadeep but as I say, I am not complaining.