Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Steps Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 11 January 2012
I have been a fan of Otter Cases for a while now and have bought the Otterbox Commuter for my new iPhone 4S. Otterbox offer a range of cases but I have found that the Commuter range fits my needs best - a good compromise between protection, size and looks. I am a bit tough on phones so they do need protection.
First of the case itself is excellent and comes in 2 parts - (1) the soft silicon skin which gives you something to hold on to when using the phone and which also protects it from hard knocks (2) the hard polycarbonate shell which fits over the skin tightly and firms up the silicon skin nicely. I have tried some of the other silicon skins on their own and they are too soft, don't fit on tightly and give you a 'wobbly' feel. The Otterbox commuter combination of silicon skin and polycarbonate shell, however, works perfectly. It does detract a bit from the ultimate sleek look and feel of the iPhone but then it does offer an extra level of protection. It would also be impractical if you regularly use docks etc, as this case is not designed to be regularly put on and off.
One downside is that the screen protector supplied with the Otterbox is not good. The little 'tag's on them are difficult to remove and the protector itself is clearly a cheap and cheerful one. I would use it if I had nothing else but I would suggest that you disregard this and use something like the PowerSupport ones instead.
Once both parts of the case is fitted you will see that there 'soft buttons' and holes in all the right places to operate the phone so you should be able to leave the case on at all times. One very good element about the case is that there is a little flip cover which protects the bottom connector (charging and syncing port). This, in my view is vital. If you take your iPhone to an Apple Store and complain that there is a problem with charging, syncing or anything like that, the first thing that they will do is look at the bottom connector to see if it has suffered any water damage, in which case your warranty will be void.. In UK it is almost impossible to avoid using your phone in rainy or damp conditions so using the Otterbox will help to prevent this possible water damage. Also worthy of note and not always mentioned is that fact that the glass on the iPhone is held back from the front by a little edge on the silicon skin - about 1 or 2mm. This offers a level of glass protection should you drop your phone on its face.
So there you have it, an excellent protective and practical case although you might want to think about using a different screen protector. I would recommend this case if you are sometimes a little bit 'tough' on your devices.
on 22 February 2012
I bought this as I had an excellent experience with the Otterbox cases for the DesireHD, Samsung Galaxy S2. Upon receiving this item I dad trouble putting them on and making them fit on perfectly. After almost 15 minutes trying to get the sides in, I managed to do it. However I noticed immediately that this case was actually meant for the iPhone 4. The silent switch at the side was not centered in the cutout but was directly at the bottom and so leaving quite some space at the top revealing the black line which I didn't like. The volume buttons position on the silicon did not fit the buttons on the iPhone 4S perfectly as well but it still works because the margin isn't that much.

However I am satisfied with the protection this case provides. The case does add a little bulk to the phone but not as much as the Defender series would. The plastic and silicon feel gives it a great look and some grip when holding it so it doesn't feel like it might slip out of your hand while holding it. The plastic material on the back feels solid and slips in or out of my pockets with ease.

It's only the minor design problems, but if you are fine with it, I would definitely recommend getting this case.
on 4 February 2012
I looked at loads of reviews for iPhone 4s cases before getting this. The defender case looked far too bulky, so the commuter was much more appropriate. Obviously the phone looks a little more bulky with this case on, but the apple logo cut out gives the case a nice touch, and it looks quite expensive.
I was a little apprehensive as to whether this case would actually protect my phone. The reason I'm writing this review is because my iPhone just slid off the kitchen counter (2/3 foot high)!
My heart skipped a little but when the phone landed it just bounced and then landed on its back!
All I can say is thank god I had this case on! Saved myself money on repairing the screen
I recommend this case to anyone :)
on 27 March 2011
I bought this product while it was on sale, so the pricing so probably more reasonable than when the two previous commentators bought theirs. Quality wise, I think it's definitely work the money. I have tried dropping my phone from over 6 foot onto a hard wood surface with no observable damage to my phone. (I wouldn't recommend repeating this on purpose though.) The case fits like a glove, including the camera lens bit. Overall I am very happy with this product.

Pro:
Indestructible (Possibly?)
Tight fit
Quality build

Con:
Heavy (very)
Dust (the soft silicon case attracts quite a bit of dust, but a damp cloth will take care of it easily.)
Bulky

No comment on the screen protector since I am already using a screen protector from a different brand.
on 30 August 2012
Having read a few negative reviews I was apprehensive about ordering this product but now it is on my iphone I can tell you I am delighted with it. The screen protector went on easily with no bubbling whatsoever and the case itself feels like a sturdy quality item that will definitely protect my iphone from accidental drops and bashing around in my large handbag. The case was a bit fiddly to put on, in fact it took 2 attempts because the first time I only got one side to fit properly so I removed it and started again - it went on perfectly.

Yes it does make the phone slightly more bulky but it's not hideous and I'm more than happy knowing my RIDICULOUSLY expensive iphone is safe from harm. I've got the 4S & the case fits it perfectly.

The service from Amazon was excellent & I received the case with free delivery in 3 days. I'm so relieved to have finally found a quality case for my iphone, I highly recommend it.

Just to add that having had this on my phone for 2 days I went on holiday & whilst packing the car I put my phone down in the lip of the open boot. When I'd finished packing and of course forgetting I'd put my phone down I slammed the boot shut...twice. It took a while to remember where I'd left my phone (aarrrggghh!) but incredibly it was unmarked and intact. The shock made me then drop the phone and it slid under the car (aarrgghh again!) after retrieval it was still unmarked and intact. My advice...buy one (particularly if you are a bit forgetful or clumsy!)
on 20 December 2011
The cover fits the phone well and is well designed to protect the phone without making the phone toooooooo bulky. (It does make the phone more of a brick but does enable it to be stood easily

The minor gripes relate to the materials used ... having had a 3GS otterbox cover the materials seem inferior to my old case.

The hole covers seem less well designed and i anticipate that they will not last as long as the old one (2 years)

All in all, a quality product and i would recommend ..... but corners have been cut on materials.
on 22 April 2015
well the otterbox finally got replaced with a new smart phone, what a fantastic case it has been, it survived my children, me dropping it on laminate and even the odd fell out the car cringe moment. the case it battered and broken, that's the point it did its job it protected my 4s
on 27 March 2011
+ excellent armored housing
+ good quality
- phone in the case is quite thick
- housing is limiting somewhat the use of the touch screen (corners; there is no flat surface)
+ perfect for sports: skiing, cycling etc.
+ you do not have to worry about the phone:)
on 5 March 2012
I must say this is amazing.
My track record for phones is appauling, so when I bought my first android (galaxy s) I thought i should get a bit of protection for it. Just yesterday I dropped my phone in the sink with the taps running, luckily no plug in, but the sink had plenty of water in it still, and even though my phone got soaked, it is still working perfectly. I put this all down to the Otterbox Commuter Case for Samsung Galaxy S.
on 8 October 2012
Best case out there by a long way. Perfect balance of strength and form. Tough enough to withstand most drops, svelte enough to not feel embarrassed putting on the table in a business meeting.
I'm tough (clumsy) with my phone. This case generally lasts 6 months, perfectly acceptable given what it goes through. Anything under £15 is a bargain.