on 20 November 2010
As of 20-Nov-2010, the description of this item is not very complete. The items is a well-made white ceramic 1x2 size coffee filter cone.

I am obsessive about my coffee making equipment and have had several filter cones that I was not happy with. Both the rate of flow out of the cone and the amount of air flow between the filter and cone need to be right, or the coffee isn't. This is the best non-Melitta cone that I've used. I'm very pleased with it.
on 20 August 2011
Getting water to flow well through a filter cone is a fine balance. If the surface of the cone is too smooth, there is not enough space between filter paper and cone for the liquid to flow. If the surface is too uneven, water will form into drops between the paper filter and cone and flow will be slow. Somewhere in between is the perfect balance - a slightly uneven surface that allows a quick flow of liquid in the narrow gap between filter paper and cone.

These porcelain 1x2 size filter cones seem to have that balance. I have owned a couple of plastic cones, made by Randwyck of Maastricht, for many years. Those, like most plastic cones, are heavily ridged inside. These porcelain cones, as can be seen from the product photograph, have slight ridging inside which works very well. Liquid drains through these porcelain cones much faster than through the plastic ones. I estimate that making a large mug of coffee, I can fill the mug through this heavy porcelain filter cone in half the time it took with a plastic one, where flow slowed to a trickle as the mug filled.

The cones are of a substantial piece of porcelain and are made by the established manufacturer William Bartleet and Sons. Compared to plastic cones, the porcelain is very easy to keep clean.

End result, a lovely mug of coffee, quickly made. Unless you have a particular need for a plastic filter cone because of the risk of breakage, these are well worth the extra expense.
on 23 June 2011
As a budding coffee connoisseur & gadget lover and trying loads of coffee makers and being dissapointed. If only I had known about this great filter cone sooner I could have saved my money and bought just this! Simplicity itself, easier to clean than a french press or espresso machine as you remove the paper filter straight into the bin and wash either in the dishwasher or sink. The filters are easy to get in any supermarket. Also would be great if you were traveling or camping and wanted to have proper coffee and not the freeze dried stuff.
on 3 May 2012
This item arrived this morning and I was enjoying my first large mug of coffee within ten minutes of the postman handing it over. It's large enough to make one normal sized cup of coffee with one 'pouring'. If, like me, you prefer a mug then it will need topping up after most of the first 'pouring' has dripped through. There are three holes in the base of the cone so it doesn't take too long to discharge into the mug. Of course it can be used with any brand of coffee unlike some machines that need special coffee bags, or whatever, which can be limiting. Being porcelain, it's dead easy to clean. If you wash it straight after use a good rinse under the hot tap should normally be sufficient. The porcelain is quite heavy duty and has a robust feel to it. However, I have just ordered a second one as a a backup in case of breakages (I'm partly paralysed and can be a bit 'butterfingery' sometimes), and also to speed things up if I have visitors (I live alone). I wouldn't have ordered a second one if I hadn't been delighted with this one. Highly recommended. Off now to make another mug - Mmmm!
on 1 March 2013
I like my coffee filtered, and though it was expensive, it is good quality and I am being careful not to let it drop on to the tiled floor in my kitchen.
Good for filtering oils and stock as well as coffee.
Very pleased, it is probably a little luxury item, but essential if you need a cup of proper coffee avery morning.
Forget expensive coffee machines, this is easy to use and to clean.
on 9 February 2013
In Summary:-

Big enough for 1 large mug
No possibility of plastic contaminating your cuppa
I think its best to pre-warm it, but that means your mug is pre-warmed too.
Good speed of filtering... not too slow or fast
Will fit most mugs (from about 65mm to 95mm on inside of mug)
Size 1/2 filters fit a treat
Cleans easily, only really needs a quick rinse under the cold tap.
Nice quality. I hate mass produced plastic cr*p that breaks after 3 uses, so what if it costs a few quid extra.
Best of all... my morning coffee now tastes even better!

Good to thoroughly recommended something for a change!
on 21 November 2012
I am looking for a 4x1 filter cone and far too many products do NOT specify the size.
This item is a standard 2x1 (small) size and it cannot be rocket science for Colanders to put the size on the advert under their Technical Details.
I nearly bought this in error. - PLEASE provide a better description!!!
on 21 September 2011
I can make one filter coffee and no longer have to fill the coffee maker and worse clean it later. There's something about scrapping out cold coffee grounds that never appealed to me. OK you need to purchase filter papers as the holes are large but hey a small price to pay for ease of cleaning.
on 9 January 2013
At first I was sceptical about replacing our old Melitta plastic cone with the porcelain one. I was wrong. The porcelain one is much superior, and the coffee tasted better. Although the cone needs heating up before we use it (I use some boiling water from the kettle), I think it is a small price to pay for an excellent result.
This cone has 3 small holes which allow to make a reasonably strong coffee. The cone is quite heavy, so I'll keep the plastic one for holidays and trips...
on 17 May 2012
I was surprised at how substantial the filter is. It's porcelain, quite heavy and it sits well on any mug or cup. It also looks much better than a plastic filter, drains quickly with 3 holes in the base and cleans easily. It takes a 1x2 paper filter. The one I received was branded "William Bartleet & Sons".