on 10 April 2017
I'm hard of hearing with in ear hearing aids. Now having difficulty hearing speech on TV or sound bar speakers. These headphones are my last chance to hear a film or even the news clearly without causing grief to my wife. They arrived nice and quickly despite freepost option. Everything was in order. I found it easy to pop the batteries in, a tag tells you which cup to open. I sat the transmitter just behind the TV plugged it in and connected the earphone jack to my old Samsung flatscreen TV. This cut the speakers off I did not wait to charge the batteries switched the phones on and got a screeching static noise in my ears. After fiddling with the tuning button I got the TV sound but there was a loud hum in the background. This is because the volume on the TV was low. Having no sound from TV speakers allowed me to increase the volume on the TV to about 80% and lower the headphone volume to almost nothing and I got pure clean sound. My wife can hear the TV via the soundbar at her own level while I can play with the phones to my pleasure.
Listening to them now The speech is crisp I have the headphone volume at about half way and do not envisage needing to increase it. I tried raising the volume and it gets too loud before any hiss comes in. So speech is fine. I tuned my Humax Freesat into a music channel. OMG! There are sounds there I have not heard for a long time and in wonderful stereo. All the different sounds stand out on their own. No more straining to hear that little guitar riff or the background singers. Even adverts are a pleasure. They do not come booming out at a raised volume and there are so many sounds I did not know were there. I found the treble sounds a little close to breaking point in some older songs. The bass stands out on it's own not too deep and the drums are just the right level.
There is a slight problem, he volume control is just above the tune control. A design fault in my opinion. However I soon got used to using my thumb and sliding it down from above the control to avoid the tune dial.
As I mentioned I wear in ear aids, the foam cushions of the headphones get a little warm after an hour but not uncomfortable. If there are any ad's on I slip them off my head and they are cool again in a minute. I would not want to wear these for any longer than a 3 hour epic film So long as they do not loosen with age the fit is fine. They are so light I forget they are there until I turn my head.
The open fit allows me to hear most sounds in the room and carry out a conversation as normal, My wife says she can hear a slight amount of sound from the headset but she has super hearing...
I cannot emphasise the convenience of having the loop charging dock. Simply place on the holder and forget them. A previous pair (Philips) I tried were a nightmare with a silly antenna and a tiny charging plug and cable and even worse a 2 pin power plug. They went straight back.
To sum up.
For the price range these are amazing headphones, if you want to buy with confidence these are the ones for you.
Pros - Charging dock simplicity, Crisp sound, comfort to wear nice design. Easy to replace batteries so you could keep a second pair and replaceable foam cups.
Cons - I little warm for hearing aid wearers, open cups would have been great. Volume and tune control too close (put tuner on other earpiece).
Tip - Don't forget to switch them off using the on/off switch on the left cup or your batteries are working overtime.

Additional - I tried the headset without my aids in, after raising the volume I can hear all speech but some of the treble sounds are lost owing to my particular hearing loss. However they are even more comfortable, so when it comes to a long film this is an option. I point this out I do not want my individual problem to detract from how good these headphones are, hence the 5 stars.
on 5 April 2017
The headphone works OK, but the design is flawed, and very annoying in its flaws. The biggest flaw is with the automatic switch off - if you have quiet period in the sound, then it switches off, which gives you quite a bit of a shock as all you get is very loud white noise. This is quite a bit of a problem when you watch a film (or listen to music) with long periods of quietness, and it entirely ruins the experience. Be aware of this problem.
on 23 October 2014
I bought this from a local store instead of Amazon because it was slightly cheaper, and I didn't have to wait. But I used amazon for reviews so I thought I would contribute back.

Firstly, I should point out I own multiple wireless headsets, bluetooth, infrared, and radio based as this ones. Some cheap some expensive. All of them however relied on some sort of digital circuitry. Even the RF ones had a digital tuner inside that automatically tuned the headset to the channel selected on the base ( ie, lidl's headset, some Thomson models etc). This model doesn't. This model seems to be 100% analogue. There's a cheap 3 way switch on the station that changes the transmitting channel. And a wheel tuner on the headset ( same as in your very old FM radio that did manual tuning without using a digital screen to write the FM channel). All three channels you choose on the base are within the range of course of the headset.

Pros:
1. Because of the apparent analogue nature of the hardware there's no noticeable lag, and I believe this is one reason sennheiser went with an analogue design. In this respect they kick Bluetooth and any other form of digital transmission in the butt. It's simply perfect, no lag. ( lag is the delay between the time sound leaves your device and reaches your ear).
2. Very little background noise. Compared to all headsets I ever used the only kind that are better than this are bluetooth, that have no background noise. But suffer the most from lag thus useless for watching movies or video. They are a huge improvement over other RF (non bluetooth) headsets such as the lidl brand, and thomson. I was impressed by how little the background noise was...
3. Charging dock. I don't get the review comments, probably people who didn't own other rechargeable headsets before. This is by far the best charging base I have EVER used. I practically throw on the speakers and they land and start charging. Excellent!. All other brands I ever used either required I plug a usb port in, or were frigidly.
4. Utilizes regular NiMh rechargeable batteries. This means that when rechargeable batteries get old they can get cheaply replaced and if I forget to place them on the charger and they run out of juice, I can just replace spend batteries with charged ones and keep going. I have to say that the 20 pound lidl headset I owned beat this by including a build in rechargeable as well as AAA batteries and either one would work.
Edit: 5. I should had mentioned that this headset has huge range, 2x more than thomson, or lidl brands based on rf technologies, and at least 5-6 times more than bluetooth.

Cons:
1. The cups. These are on ear not over the ear. Why? Where's the logic in that sennheiser, Get me a couple of over the ear pads please and I'll pay extra for them. They get uncomfortable when used for over 1-2 hours ( I watch primarily movies ).
2. Hassle to tune. I wish they had figured out a better way of tuning the headset. Here's a suggestion if you buy this. Play something on just the right speaker ( change the balance on your computer or tv) then tune the speaker so you hear it the loudest with minimum background noise but only from the right speaker. Then change balance to send both sides. If it works you have tunned correctly and are getting stereo sound. I found that the settings with the least background noise were not in stereo and resulted in lower volume but clearer sound, but if you want stereo follow these directions and you'll get it.
3. Volume and tune dials are too close as others have mentioned, you get used to looking for the top one, but I still think that sennheiser needs to work more on this, eliminate the need to tune somehow.
4. Not as good a construction I would expect for the price. If you sit on this you will break them, even if you are a small person or child. Make sure you don't leave them sitting on the couch.
5. I've owned them for several weeks now, I used the batteries that came with them. I haven't noticed any indication that the batteries are full. Charging led is always on and red when headset on the base. Have the batteries never charged because I use them every night? Or is there no indication of complete charge? Didn't find any information on this in any document included in the box.
6. The biggest surprise to me was how poor the bass and treble was. Multiple reviews mention excellent sound but I find that the sound is excellent for watching movies, ( voice, everyday sounds). but bass and treble especially when listening to rock, metal etc music is very poor. For music thus I switch to my Samsung Bluetooth headset
7. If no audio comes out of your device. After a few minutes the transmitter automatically switches off, and your hear very loud hissing sound. I forgot about this and had the speakers on while movie was paused and it was too loud, I can see people getting injured by getting surprised from the sudden loud noise... Come on Sennheiser, remove the automatic off. Only switch it off when I place the headset on the base. How much energy do you think you are saving? And at the cost of your customer's discomfort, potential ear damage, and potential cause for accident from getting startled from the loud noise.

In conclusion, great headset, by far my favorite ever for watching movies ( ie no lag, minimal background noise) but if you are getting this for listening only to audio and don't care about the synchronization with video then get a Bluetooth headset like the HS3000 that provides EXCELLENT sound and still allows you to use whatever wired headphone you prefer.
22 Comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 November 2017
Bought these as a present but I have already owned a pair of these for the past 3 years. Excellent sound quality and so easy to balance on the stand to keep them charged at all times and ready to use once picked up. Nice comfortable fit and easy to adjust to fit any sized head. On/off switch and volume adjust sliders are easy to find. A great pair of headphones to use with the television or sound system and allows you to walk all around the house with good reception. Couldn't ask for a better pair of headphones.
on 1 March 2018
This is an essential item as far as I am concerned. At the start of my day I have it connected to a DAB radio and then progress to using it with a cd player and start work. (As a painter I find listening to music an inspiration and a great way of insulating myself from being distracted by the outside world.)
The sound quality is good and, unlike some brands, is not heavily bassy and reproduces the mid ranges well. The stereo effect is well balanced and the headphones are comfortable enough to wear for a full working day. The choice of channels meant I was able to find one that did not have any interference, which was an issue in an urban area.
The cheaper Phillips set I once owned picked up an annoying hiss on every channel as did the RS 120 this one replaced.
The charging cradle is efficient and convenient and I have found that the batteries only begin to run out after about 16 hours of non stop use at the volume I use and have fully recharged by the following morning.
I love the freedom this set up gives. I can listen to loud rock at midnight or put a favourite piece on repeat without disturbing anybody else and the huge range means that you can wander about and not miss anything.
I prefer this on ear head set to the over-ear closed type as I am still able to hear the phone and the door-bell, albeit faintly, which is convenient.
There are a few things to be aware of with the RS 120:its signal will be interfered with by big metal constructions, even within its range. Heavy pipe work and supports will break the signal briefly and it won't penetrate a metal door at all.
Loss of signal will produce a fierce burst of white noise after about 15 seconds so it is a good idea to switch the phones off whilst changing cds or switching between sources.
To tune the headphones easily move the control VERY slowly until you find the sweet spot.
Don't bend your head to far forward, as soon as your face is parallel to the floor the headphones begin to slide and if you are not careful will fall off. They are so light and comfortable it is easy to forget that you are wearing them and it is NOT a good idea to bend down to pick something off the floor while wearing them, although mine have survived a lot of falls undamaged.
I think these are the best sounding and most comfortable wireless headphones I have ever owned and unhesitatingly recommend them to other audiophiles.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 January 2016
I have bought three of these. One for me and two for my parents.
We all suffer hearing loss and these headphones are just perfect to listen to the TV.

On most TVs plugging the headphones in the headphone socket mutes the sound for anyone else listening. If you want other people to listen to the TV sound without muting it then you will need to use the OUT audio red and white connectors on the back of the TV set (doesn't work with IN).

I had to buy a set of stereo 3.5mm jack female to 2RCA male connectors (red and white) to connect to the TV red and white connectors OUT then just plugged the headphones into the 3.5mm jack. (These are the ones I ended up with, but there are loads of others similar - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B2HP1FY )

One of the TVs didn't have audio OUT red and white connectors, but they had a BT box and this had the red and white connectors on the back of the box which worked fine instead.

The audio OUT from the TV is at a set volume so you adjust the volume on the headphones instead, there's a dial on the right ear pad.

Below this is a tuning dial to get the best reception from the TV (it's a bit close to the volume and once tuned I put some tape over it to avoid moving it by mistake).

I found the headphones comfy and easy to use.
on 6 February 2017
Three operations for "surfers ear" and getting older has affected my hearing. Sounds are not always clear, especially when there is any back ground noise. Turning up the sound doesn't really help and only served to irritate the missus. With these headphones I can hear crystal clearly again. I can enjoy watching television, especially films and an added advantage is that I can't hear her whittering on when i am watching something. Sound quality is very good as far as I am concerned. They take a little bit of fiddling with to get the best signal but its all pretty straightforward when you've done it for the first time.
on 30 September 2014
I bought these to replace my Blaupunkt CW-112 wireless headphones after a section of plastic inexplicably broke off making them unwearable. I've got used to wireless and wanted to stick with it but it's hard to find any at a reasonable price until I came across these.

First impressions out of the box was that they looked pretty solid but my main worry was the flat ear piece. As expected, this leads to a lot of ambient noise getting in but the quality of the sound, compared to the Blaupunkts was far superior. My only gripe with these is that, if you have no sound going to the charging unit, it will turn itself off after a minute or so causing loud white noise in the headphones. You have to get used to switching them off if you have no sound on but it's not that big a problem.

Positives: Good sound quality, decent build, convenient charging cradle.
Negatives: Flat earpiece causes ambient noise to leak in, white noise when receiver auto powers off.

Conclusion: I don't think you'd find anything better without paying significantly more.
on 19 May 2017
Very good sound for the price but don't expect the same sound as headphones costing lots more. I have had mine for many years, could be up to ten years!, they still work very well. I have a strange thing happen to the sound cord from the base unit to the TV/ Amplifier - the plastic insulation covering the lead started to peel off the earth wire and was completely exposed along it's length, must be an age thing with plastic, spoiling an otherwise good working set. With headphones having a cord, I have now ordered a new identical set. I was surprised that these are still available. The range is phenominal and the freedom in listening to music as you walk around doing household chores is wonderful. I will never go back to headphones having a cord again.
on 3 March 2016
I bought these headphones after a lot of rooting around and researching, I knew I wanted Sennheiser headphones but which ones? Despite them being quite a large item, including the base station/charger, they tuck away under my TV neatly and work beautifully. I did have some concerns about the tuning aspect, but it is so simple and straightforward. There is no "faffing" with these - just plug and play. The headphones themselves are extremely comfortable to wear and aren't heavy or cumbersome. They provide a good sound quality and don't block out the surrounding sounds too much. If you're looking to isolate yourself from the world while wearing them pick a different system. If however you wish to be aware of what is going on around these are perfect.
Possible improvements would be to make the base USB connected and powered - like the rest of us I have a serious socket shortage around my TV and this needs a mains socket for power, a longer audio cable wouldn't hurt either. While they will work for just about any application that has an Audio output jack socket (MP3, PC, game console, etc) the TV application is what they were created for and Sennheiser nailed-it!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse