TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 June 2015
One of the most enchanting stories you will ever read; a fairy tale for adults if you will. Come visit the mysterious Night Circus and marvel at all it's wonders. Tragedy, intrigue, passion and fear are all rolled up in this wonderful monochrome big top

A beautifully written tale that makes you believe in magic once more. At it's heart is a love story, but not between two character, but rather the characters and the circus itself. It's unlike any other books you'll read. This story is more than characters and plot; it's a sensory dream. And without wanting to reveal any of it's wonder, all I can say is that it will stay with you long after you read the last page. And forever more you'll be wondering if that big open field nearby might one day host the magnificent night circus.
on 11 June 2017
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. The black sign, painted in white letters that hangs upon the gates, reads:

Opens at Nightfall
Closes at Dawn

That was all I needed to purchase this book months ago. Started it but was disappointed. I just couldn't get into it, so I put it down. Then, last week I picked it up again ... and I couldn't put it down. I tried to explain to friends what it was about, but I couldn't find the words. It was just magical, like an adult fairy tale. It was as if the author had cast a spell to lure me in. I never wanted it to end. Lose yourself in the magical world of The Night Circus. Will definitely read again!
on 2 April 2017
A very different book to my usual read, was a book club choice. Enjoyed the first half and was intrigued but felt it dragged on a little and the end was disappointing to me could have had a much more inspiring end. Glad I read it but wouldn't look for another by same aurthor
on 25 July 2017
This is a really well written book, and there were sections in which it really drew me in, but overall there was something lacking.

The passages describing the circus in detail may appeal to some readers, perhaps the real world Reveurs, but did not interest me. My interest was more in the characters and the nature of the game, the purpose of which was not made clesr enough.

Clearly, from the other reviews, there's a lot of love for this book, so this is all subjective. I did enjoy it in parts.
on 11 November 2016
One of my favourite reads! This book is so compelling and so fantastic! I wish it was a film, but I also know that no one could do it justice.

This book has you hanging on every page and when you finish you'll want to read it all over again just so that you can dive back into the circus.
on 4 September 2016
Incredibly vivid detail throughout will have you feeling you're part of the circus from page one, and you won't want to leave by the final page. A captivating story of two young people bound to an impossible challenge, working within a mysterious enchanted circus with a wealth of interesting characters. A truly enjoyable read.
on 27 March 2017
I really enjoyed this quirky, original book. For a long time I wasn't sure where it was 'going' - or where I wanted it to go. But I was ultimately happy with the outcome, and getting there was a pleasure. One of the best books I've read in a while.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 September 2011
In the late Victorian period two magicians set up a duel between their protégées enacted at the site of the magical Night Circus. But when the apprentices, Celia and Marco, meet, their personal feelings threaten to overturn the competition.

This is a dazzlingly inventive novel bursting with feats of brilliant imagination - and yet, at the same time, it feels a bit lacking in plot and drags on just a little too long. What really makes it stand out are the beautiful contents of the magical circus tents: the Ice Garden, the Tree of Wishes - these are depicted with a verve and sparkle which really ignites the text.

The characters are also quirky and original, but with real heart in the story that develops between Celia and Marco. Less enthralling, however, is the parallel story of Bailey and Poppet set a few years after the time of the main narrative.

The missing ingredient, I think, is the lack of plot: the duel is set up, no-one knows the rules, very few people know it's taking place, Celia and Marco don't know who their opponent is till about half-way through the book. This does mean that we sometimes lack a narrative pull, that what-happens-next feeling.

So this is a hugely creative and alluring book, with some stunning qualities. But the lack of a proper story off which to hang all the dazzle and stardust made it a four star book for me rather than a five star one.
on 28 May 2017
If you want something a little different, out of the norm, then this is the book for you. The character's were cleverly built upon. The suspense builds, I just thought that the ending needed expanding upon.
on 21 July 2017
An amazing story of magic, mystery and love. Erin Morgenstern's story kept me enthralled right to the end. A recommended read if you enjoy some fantasy in your life.