Customer reviews

on 25 May 2016
Interesting book if a bit too much over-explanation
on 6 January 2017
Excellent price and rapid delivery.
on 4 June 2013
A truly fascinating book to read for anyone who ever wanted to know about the brains functionality, it's sense of optimism and how it almost carries a survival mechanism to help us reach our goals. This is a cognitive neuro-scientific approach to Abraham Maslow's work on behaviour. I love the way Tali Sharot uses everyday examples to put her point across, I read a friends copy, just ended up reading the whole book and could not help myself wanting to highlight various parts for my own reference, I decided to place my order the very next day. The world health organisation predicts depression to be the second biggest killer by 2020, after reading this book I feel we may be able to change this prediction!
on 18 July 2014
Excellent all round
on 4 September 2015
Excellent book.
on 20 November 2015
Unoriginal. This booked just read like a complete re-hash of Stumbling on Happiness by Dan Gilbert and Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman. I really felt like I was re-reading whole sections from those books. My advise would be to read the original works they are pretty life changing.
on 5 December 2012
This was a fascinating book, an indepth discussion of why we think the way we do. If you have any interest in how our mind works, this is for you.
BTW, I disprove the way Amazon manges its tax affairs in the uk, dodging huge tax liabilities by shipping profits to Luxembourg.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2015
I like it
on 25 February 2012
This was a present by my optimistic partner who dislikes my realistic approach to life. I have tried to read it, honestly, but why would I, it doesn't tell me anything I don't already know, or I would know if I cared to bother to spend my time to pondering on why some people are more optimistic than others. According to Ms. Sharot most people are optimistic, good. It's an American book, I have the greatest respect for Americans, but they do seem to enjoy using fifty words when one would do, this book is no exception. It could have probably been a quarter of the length, said just as much, and been easier to read. Sorry, but I havent got enough time in my life to waste it on this. However, the optimist outcome of my having received this book is that I shall take it to a charity booksale next month and hopefully raise a little money for charity!