on 29 January 2014
Having never read any Marilyn Monroe bios I was interested in reading one that wasn't just gossip, this book comes across as incredibly well researched. While it does share information about her early years and also her personal life, it largely concentrates on the building of her career and the relationships built through that. I assume that no one can ever know the 'real story' this book certainly raises a number of different points, popular beliefs and opinions surrounding the star's life and death, in many instances referencing magazine & news stories of the time.
While the author is clearly extremely dedicated to the subject of Marilyn Monroe, she has made great efforts to maintain a balanced representation, not highlighting all the enchanting charms of Marilyn but including many of the weaknesses, faults and flaws. I personally struggled with the sheer volume of full street addresses, dates and times that are used to pinpoint key events, finding that it made the book quite difficult to get into and made some elements more laborious to read.
An extremely fascinating read- the collection of photographs (many of which I'd never seen before) are a great addition to the book. I will certainly view her movies with different eyes now.
on 25 September 2012
I've read many biographies about Marilyn Monroe over the years.

However, like most, I felt the majority tend to side more with the wild rumours and hearsay.

What I loved about this book though, was the detail about Marilyn's early life - and the journey that led her to the silver screen.

At times it was almost like reading a diary; accounts of events backed up by pure fact.

I was very impressed by this, and it was refreshing.

You get to 'see' the real woman behind the icon.
on 13 April 2013
I admit I am a huge Marilyn fan. I have read many books and articles about Miss Monroe and I like to believe that I knew a fair bit about this women. Michelle Morgan has spoken to many different individuals who personally knew Marilyn and has gathered information which sets straight many misconceptions about the starlet. This really gives us the closest insight yet to what the hollywood star was really like.
on 24 August 2012
This is a brilliant biography of a woman who has spawned an industry of biographies. Written from a woman's point of view, which I believe is its strength, it touches the heart with its depiction of Monroe's vulnerability and usage by a ruthless industry. It also analyses her relationships sympathetically. I recommend this book for anyone interested in the movie industry.
on 19 September 2012
I have read many of the Marilyn Monroe books out there and have usually been disappointed as they tend to have their own theories as to the sort of person Marilyn Monroe was and why she behaved as she did, usually blaming someone else for her life choices and making her out to be some kind of airhead or a too good to be true angel. Finally this book gives as many facts as possible from many different people and their experiences of dealing with Marilyn Monroe both on a professional and personal level so you get a more rounded view of the character she actually was. A must read for any MM fan.
on 5 August 2014
I have always loved Marilyn Monroe, so as soon as I found this and ordered it I knew I couldnt wait to read it. As soon as it came through the post, I put my book I was reading down and started reading this :)
A must read for all Marilyn fans,
on 28 June 2015
a intelligently written book which tells you information that is not sensational or trashy.It gives you a different insight to marilyn.very good price for the book .
on 27 March 2018
Well written and interesting history of Marilyn’s life. It made you feel as if you knew her and what a lovely person she was . Even her ex husbands adored her .
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 February 2014
I have read this twice now...there is so much detail and exact evidence which makes everything reliable and accurate. the author has taken great care in producing something, entertaining, coherent and reliable. I loved there was no -gossipy- type pieces in this, it was all very factual and gave me a clear description of Marilyn's life and her feelings.
on 16 August 2015
Great book about Marilyn Monroe. This is one of the best in my collection of books about Marilyn. Author Michelle Morgan has done a magnificent job in researching and writing this book. A must have for any Marilyn fan!