on 12 August 2017
I love this book Joan & i think in the same way. For example the chapter on kids i find them a pain in the urinals & am glad i haven't got any....they would probably be glad as well as i wouldn't Spare the rod when it comes to beating them........where the bruises dont show. And if they reported me to someone i would just deny it....My word against them. (Although i dont think my Joan advocates this) peoples manners are another bug bear of mine. I dislike people intensely much prefering animals. I recommend you get this book.
on 3 July 2012
This isn't a learned or profound book. It's just our Joan, with her take on life and the world in general, and from perhaps a privileged viewpoint that the rest of us can only dream about. And yet there's a down-to-earthness about her too, plus a refreshing lack of political correctness which is quite endearing. It's more a random collection of thoughts and memories, rather than a full autobiography, and much of her own life has been airbrushed out of this book. A certain coyness comes across about her age. But then, her age is her age, and she probably wishes everyone would just stop going on about it. And why don't we? Male stars and celebrities just don't get hassled or scrutinised in nearly the same way with regard to their age, as their female equivalents do. I admire her, not really for her acting which I don't think has ever been truly great, but because she keeps on keeping on, and beneath all the glamour, she's a tough woman who refuses to give up. I enjoyed this book.
One person found this helpful
on 1 July 2012
Despite only downloading this book as it was on offer, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it has certainly changed my ideas about Joan Collins. An ideal book for commuters or someone looking for a book to pick up, put down and return to, it's part autobiography, part good old fashioned common sense and thoroughly enjoyable.
Reading much of this book was like sitting down with a dear friend and putting the world to rights. Ms Collins observations on life, parenthood, diet, style, manners and the like were very truthful and she wasn't afraid to be blunt, though polite in her opinions. The book contains among many other topics, the useful health and beauty tips that have certainly kept Ms Collins looking great. I'd happily suggest this book for women of any age and I've added Ms Collins to my list of people I'd love to share dinner and a bottle (or more) of wine with, the conversation would surely flow.
on 7 January 2013
Was a bit disappointed in this - I expected a bit more from Joan but it wasn't too far away from her other books. Always entertaining but I'm not sure Joan is in touch with the real world. Would love to have lunch with her, and maybe go shopping with her and take her style advice though
2 people found this helpful
on 30 December 2017
Loved reading this book, very good.
on 25 February 2017
Great Read! Couldn't put it down! I agree with the majority of her opinions!
on 25 January 2018
Sharp and witty.
on 6 May 2013
Joan is a woman with strong opinions on many subjects, most of which hark to the past. However, her observations on the general loss of good behaviour and manners are valid. There's truth behind a great deal of what she has to say but I believe that there needs to be a tempering of the 'old ways' to fit into today's society. That said, as someone once said (and I paraphrase) 'good manners cost nothing but mean a great deal'.
2 people found this helpful
on 7 March 2013
You will enjoy this particularly if you are of a certain age and remember when men were gentlemen and women were ladies, and you are getting just a bit weary of people today of all ages who behave inconsiderately to each other.
on 26 January 2013
I really enjoyed this book and found it something along the lines of "Grumpy Old Women". I admire the fact that she is not afraid to say what she believes. I agree with almost all of it!!