Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Exclusive playlist - Elton John Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 26 November 2014
This book came highly recommended to me when I joined a survival expert for 5 days in the field and I was advised to document my diary, principles, techniques involved etc in one of these (I bought 2).

The book is A6 sized (1/4 of A4), measures 14.8cm x 10.5cm and has a total of 50 pages in a spiral bound format. There are 21 rows and 16 columns making a total of 336 small boxes measuring 0.6cm X 0.6cm in length and width. The front and back covers are made of a thin and flexible plastic whilst the paper is made of high quality paper that's smoother than normal paper.

Whilst I was away in the field for the 5 days I used it quite a bit although I frequently proposed that he should make all the notes as his writing was much neater than mine!. The notepad got very wet and yet I could still continue to write with a ball point pen without it smudging. The material is clearly more plastic based in some way and although it does absorb water, it does not absorb it as much as normal paper.

As part of this review I have tried to assist potential customers by attaching photos of the notebook and paper along with conducting 3 tests using a ball point pen and water:

Test 1 - Write on paper when dry and soak in a tray of water for 10 secs. Take photo 30 seconds latter.

Test 2 - Soak paper in tray of water for 10 secs and write "-> Writing on wet paper!" immediately after removing before leaving it to dry and taking a photo 30 secs latter.

Test 3 - No water involved, written on dry paper.

Results:
When I assessed Test 1 it was clear that it had not smudged the paper in any way and although it remained wet, it was still clear to read.

After I soaked the paper in test 2 it was slightly harder to write on but I did it with minimal effort. The difference between writing on it when wet and dry is not that much different and the ink quality and clarity is similar.

Test 3 is just the control test and shows that there is very little difference in tests 1 and 2 as there is in test 3.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
33 Comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2013
Recent training with the military on Dartmoor in gash weather enabled me to put lots of waterproof notebooks to the test. I wasn't sure which one was the best so bought a couple of different ones. The Kombat one just did not stand up to the rain, the pages tore far too easily and lots of work was spoiled. Far better was the Chartwell one. Although the pages sometimes stick together after being wet, it is far more robust to a soaking....and it's the one the Royal Marines hand out and they know what they're doing.
on 16 April 2016
I dont know what some reviewers have been doing to give such negative reviews on this pad.
so far from what i see everything seems good, tested it completely submerging pages underwater and left them there for some time. once removed i used a pen to immediatly write on the page. Everything worked well, my pen not so much.
I didnt get any tears at all, i dont know what other reviewers were doing to say it wont work in the shower. Mabe they should use stomething else to write with because theres nothing wrong with the book.

Its waterpoof PAPER, not a titanium notepad.
I will be adding it to my outdoors kit for my many hobbies in the wilderness. i know its going to hold up to the test.

if your pages rip, well........... change what you write with.
my pen worked,
a pencil will be perfect ( not needle sharp )
on 24 September 2015
I have used these types of pads for a long time now, and the Kombat brand is simply the best. Write on them with anything, the pages can be soaking wet and the writing stays clear. The paper doesn't tear if you try to write on it while it is damp, and it ashes completely should you need to burn a page of notes, leaving no legible traces. That's not important for some, it is for others!

The only small criticism I have is the grid on the pages is 1/4", not 5mm, which can mean a little bit of mental math if you have a habit of using the grid squares for rough trig calcs.
on 2 April 2016
Wish I could have left no stars! I have to accept the blame as, when I now read some of the other reviews, a number of people have already pointed out the problem, but as a notepad to have to hand when you suddenly remember something in the shower, this book is rubbish! The paper just seems like normal paper. You can't write on it properly when it gets wet and it tears really easily. Silly me, wish I'd researched properly. If like me you are forgetful and want to be able to scribble down things when you think of them in the shower, don't bother with this. Not sure what exactly is waterproof on it - just the cover I am assuming, which seems to be plastic? Definitely not the pages. I would definitely recommend the Wiley waterproof notebook instead - that does exactly what it says it will do - ie be waterproof!
on 23 January 2016
The notebook isn't really waterproof (it soaked through multiple pages) but it does dry nicely. You can't however write very well when it's wet and any abrasion while wet removes the writing. The cover will protect the pages from this a bit however if it is wet and you put it in your pocket you run the risk of losing your notes.
on 29 October 2015
I found the squared paper format very useful. The pages are not 100% waterproof but are very water resistant & did not fall apart after getting wet in the rain. The pages did tend to crinkle just a little when drying out.
I did find that a ballpoint pen tended to skip a little. I found that using a fine tip permanent marker gave me better results.
on 8 July 2015
This notepad is first class, have given it a try out not having used one before ,it works well and will be
put to good use as required on forces exercises. My Grandson is delighted with it, and we will be buying more
when required.
Thank you supplier, packaged excellent and will recommend to others to buy.

Regards, Mr Frank Special.
on 13 February 2017
Works in the rain for brief notes but i suggest you all fashion your own plastic board to write on for down pours as this product isnt going to be 100% so use it as it is meant for, not for what you want it for.
on 28 September 2013
Great notepad. Bought this for my bug out bag. Just what I wanted. The first time I ordered this it never arrived but the seller was quick to get back to me. They gave me a full refund, sent out a replacement notebook and a free fire steel kit. Excellent customer service and I would use the seller 'outdoor & camouflage outfitters' again.