Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 October 2012
I succumbed to the purchase of this CD after much heart-felt pleading from my ten year old daughter, who faithfully promised that she would pay me back out of her pocket money; anything, anything to have this album. Meanwhile my heart was sinking with the vision of future car journeys accompanied by another run-of-the-mill boy-band producing frothy anodyne pop; musical wallpaper which would quickly drive us mad.

We got in the car. The CD was excitedly anticipated by some, but dreaded by others.

Oh yes, I sort of recognise the first track, must have heard it before, it's ok actually...Hmm, the second track begins in quite an interesting way...And so on. The 4th track's my favourite and I look forward to it every time, but then I like track 3 too. And 7, and of course track 1 is great.

I feel I know the boys now and I like them. I even know their names. I've started reading news articles about them.

My elder daughter has gone from deriding her sister's favourite as "rubbish" to downloading the album onto her phone so she can listen more often.

In short it's a hit, an unexpected and wonderful hit with all the family. It's feel-good music, full of hooks and with shifts of harmony which engage even the most resistant of listeners. The lyrics are teenage, yes, but heck we were all teenagers once.

And secretly I now look forward to car journeys. Though I can't let on.
99 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2012
I doubt anyone would have bought this album expecting some kind of musical masterpiece, so it makes me laugh to see really poor reviews from, quite frankly, people who obviously like to moan for the sake of it! One Direction are a young boyband, no one's denying the fact that it's all manufactured and light-hearted, and the album reflects that. Nope, the songs aren't bringing anything new to the world, nor is there really any sense of originality, but come on...is that the point of this band? Their target audience is predominantly teenage girls! That in mind, I wouldn't say it's a bad first effort at all. The songs are very catchy and mostly upbeat- you can tell the boys had fun making the record and that in turn puts a smile on your face. I guess you would say the whole 'cuteness' of them makes it even more likeable- after all, these songs aren't any worse than most other offerings in today's charts. A few tracks sound suspiciously similar to songs by other artists ('One Thing' is very like 'I Want It That Way' by Backstreet Boys, for instance), but I doubt anyone is going to be overly concerned about that! The main thing is you listen to the record and you can sing along and it makes you crack a smile. It's a bit early at this stage to say how far their success will go, but judging by their current popularity, I'd say they'll be around for at least the imminent future! All things considered, a strong, enjoyable debut album which ticks the right boxes with One Direction fans and I dare say a few other people too!
on 23 March 2012
I really would reccomend this album to anyone who is a fan of POP music. One Direction are well known for finsihing 3rd on the reality TV series the X Factor and had a hit number one single 'What Makes you Beautiful'. The album contains some enjoyable love songs and call party anthems for all ages. The album is highly reccomended and is better than expected. If your thinking of buying a few songs then get these:
WHAT MAKES YOU BEAUTIFUL
GOTTA BE YOU
ONE THING
UP ALL NIGHT
STOLE MY HEART
5 of the best songs on the album, BUY IT!!
on 22 November 2011
My daughter was lucky enough to get a signed copy of this from the boys..its a great little book to go with the CD. Features lots of fan pictures inside,,,,see if you can spot yourself..my daughter got a big picture of herself in there and is well chuffed.One Direction seem to really care about their fans, which makes us happy mums.We are secretly in love with them all as well...!!!! Great book and great CD from a bunch of lovely lads!! (if only i were 20 years younger!!) xx
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2013
Well having seen these boys on XFACTOR i felt that they were better then other other act in that year i was saddened to see that someone else beat them as i felt from the weeks they'd be on it they had done alot more then most including (ollie murrs) no offense but change the record mate everying he doe's sounds the same! >.<
Anyways back to ONE DIRECTION so yes i was so thrilled to see on the tv that 1D had been taken on and finally they had been signed up and now were in the spotlight & had brought out their first album UP ALL NIGHT. Brilliant! so as quick as i could i brought it from Amazon once it arrived i got down to listening to it, perfectly done can't ever fault these lads they are a great band and make such good songs i'm looking forward to their next album ;)
on 3 October 2013
I would not particularly class myself as a fan of One Direction and am certainly not the target audience-I bought this album mainly because my young son wanted it. However, the catchy pop tunes had me dancing around my living room and encouraged me to buy more of their music. If you are looking for light-hearted, funfilled pop then I would recommend Up All Night. My favourite track is What Makes You Beautiful- uplifting and fast paced with enough romance in the lyrics to boost any girls confidence.
on 18 January 2012
First, I'm french and I'm really happy that Amazon can ship to my country. I did not wait too long and that's great.

About the album:
This album was worth the waiting! I like the fact that they do a lot of different kind of music! Each song has a little thing. I love all the songs except Stole My Heart, this song doesnt fit to them, but whatever, the rest of the album is amazing.
The yearbook is good too! The one thing I regret is that there are not the lyrics sheet of each song.
x
As a 25 year old lad I feel like I'm out of the "target audience" for One Direction. But I just can't help but really love the music. It's very catchy and I really do enjoy singing along to it.

I also enjoy buying my music direct from Amazon as you get the CD. Plus the MP3 album too right away. Thanks Amazon :)
on 9 December 2011
I found them on youtube sometime during the summer and immediately fell in love. So when their album came out I was not going to wait until March to buy it...US release date.. So happy I decided to pay the $21. Well worth it! Some of my favorite songs are: One Thing, Moments, Up All Night, Everything About You, I Want and Tell Me a Lie. But their entire album is superb.
...Now they just need to do a bigger tour in the states. :)
on 27 December 2011
It's easy to be cynical about another bunch of X Factor non-winners chucking an album out in time for Christmas, but in One Direction's case you would be wrong. Up All Night is one of the best shimmering all-out pop albums in many a year. The first single, What Makes You Beautiful is a fantastic Summer single. In fact, it's so good it's still in the charts now at the end of December. Starting out with a Summer Nights intro, the song is punchy and as hooky as hell. It's a tough act to follow.

Indeed, the second single, Gotta Be You, is perhaps one of the oddest choices as a follow-up. It's not terrible, but is a bit of a drone, though it has done pretty well in the charts. There are at least 6 or 7 songs here that, to my ears, would make stronger singles.

I got the 'Yearbook' edition of UAN which feature 2 bonus tracks, the upbeat Stand Up and the Ed Sheenan co-write, Moments, both of which are worthy inclusions. At 15 tracks, Up All Night should really outstay it's welcome, but the songs are so sunny and catchy you can't help but smile and sing along!

As I write, the album has spent it's chart life in the Top 10. It's no wonder.If you want a classic pure pop album that will brighten your lady, look no further than Up All Night. It's a belter.