Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.59

on 15 March 2012
Brendan delivers big time with this entertaining account on his countless exploits following the legendary deck wizard Sasha. From the early days at Shaboo in Blackpool to Shelleys, Hacienda, Renaissance, Cream and Up Yer Ronson where he graced the dance floors and listened to the layered magic that Sasha delivers every time he plays to the white isle of Ibiza where he recounts the terrace at Space going berserk when he dropped the classic Superstylin by Groove Armada a real seminal moment. The story flows and gives you a real insider view of his tales and chronicles following "the man like" around the world.
Absolute top drawer stuff and a must not just for Sasha fans but for all dance music connoiseurs who were around when House music exploded in the early nineties. Revisit those nights with Brendan and get a sense of just how important Sasha was and still is to all electronic dance music fans.
Highly recommended!!
on 27 December 2011
As much as I wanted to love this book, I cringed a lot whilst reading. I was hooked until I finished it (which took less than a day) as I had been to many of the mentioned clubs, so I was keen to see how someone else remembered them.

However, I came away feeling really dissatisfied, especially after reading many other biographies from clubland around the same time. This is the clubbing diary of a Sasha stalker, who wants to let you know the inner intricacies of this stalkerdom with alarming detail, including exactly how he entered every club on Sashas guestlist. It really isnt a biography of Sasha, more like memories of certain clubs/nights (chapters are centred around venues). There are great tales in there, and its certainly very emotive and passionate about these nights, but its more about how amazing Sasha was and how brilliant he made this writer feel every single time he saw him over a 20 year period. In this persons opinion - I have seen Sasha in some of the venues described and wouldnt be quite so enthusiastic. Theres certainly nothing you can read in here that you probably wouldnt already know if you were a massive fan (including remember more tunes from nights and probably the same amount of off-deck stories)

However, if you want an easy read that takes you back to great nights out, and learning about the life of a dedicated raver during the 90s and 00s, this is an entertaining read.

In my opinions there are much better reads in Last Night a DJ Saved My Life or Superstar DJs Here We Go! The Oakenfold biography is also a fab read.
on 7 April 2016
I'm really glad that Brendan took the time to write this book. It's a collection of anecdotes and experiences from the early to mid nineties electronic music scene following Sasha from then pretty much until to the present day. I was a bit of a late starter and first saw Sasha in about 1998. I've been on my own personal journey of amazing memorable nights listening to Sasha play, walking out of Fabric going 'what just happened, that was amazing' (the 2003 set springs to mind, as does the Sasha and Digweed back to back in Room 1 one Christmas) and have been following Sasha ever since, seeing him play a good few times every year. It's rare to have the opportunity to live something, and then read a book someone else has written about living the same experience, going back to the early days. It was really nice to fill in on some of the history that I missed. And it's clear that Brendan is someone who is passionate about the music and the scene which makes the read even more enjoyable as that shines through. I'd recommend this book to anyone old or young, who is into the music, into Sasha the DJ and producer, and who wants to understand why there are so many forty-somethings still on the dance floor at his gigs, hoping and expecting that something magical may well, and probably will happen on the dance floor.
on 30 March 2012
I have been a Sasha fan for many years but the Shellys era came just before I had come of age and I was unable to make the pilgrimage to such nights. I lived them through my older brother, as they happened, but now I have been able to imagine them in much more detail thanks to the emotive journey 'God is a DJ' took me on.

Thankfully Sasha proved to be more than a flash in the pan and I have been lucky enough to enjoy seeing him on many occasion since his Shellys days, some included in this book. Brendan captures the feeling of seeing Sasha perfectly. The book recalls some amusing stories centred around nights out and name checks some classic tracks, long since forgotten. It's a light hearted look at the rise of Sasha. It isn't pretending to be an in depth biography.

I've bought copies for friends who are far too young to remember when Sasha appeared on the cover of Mixmag hailed as the 'Son of God' but it's easy to see why when you read this book.
on 15 March 2012
If I had to review this book in one word I called it authentic. I had the privilege of living though these heady times and like a good Sasha set, this book really pulls at the heartstrings, because it's filled with so many detailed, technicoloured memories. Looks like I'll be going clubbing this weekend. Thanks Mr Blood.
I got this book on christmas day and by bed time I'd finished it(much to my families annoyance)! A great read, it brought back so many memories of trawling the country's motorways with my mates in the mid/late 90's following Sasha from Burnley, Manchester and Blackpool to Windsor, Ringwood and Ibiza! It perfectly summed up my misspent 90's and I can't recommend it highly enough!!! I just missed out on the Shelleys, Hacienda and early renaissance days but this does a damn fine job of letting us know what we all missed out on. Any Sasha fan will know what I'm on about and will 'get' this book! God might be a DJ but warming up for Sasha would be his greatest achievement!
on 17 September 2015
Read this in one sitting. If you have ever followed sasha with any passion and ever experienced those "magic moments" you will get this. Told from both a sasha follower and also getting the inside stories as being one of sashas drivers going back to the 90's it gives you your view as the one on the dance floor thinking "this man is a legend" and also the view from behind the decks of the most influential do in our generation. Awesome book. And if you attended any of the nights referenced I guarantee a) you'll smile like the Cheshire Cat b) you'll annoy the s*** out of your wife telling her the stories over and over again from that night. Love sasha? Get it.
on 15 July 2012
As a big Sasha fan since the days of Shelleys laserdome and following his career through to the current day I was intrigued by this books interpretation. Whilst many of the clubs and experiences touched on are very familiar experiences that I myself experienced there are some very annoying traits that run through it. What spoiled the book for me was the amount of times it repeated itself, yes we know Sasha is a great DJ, probably the best DJ in the world when considering the time frame this book was spread over but every time a new club was experienced the author felt the need to describe the queue, the entrance, the VIP Area, where he met Sasha on that particular night, What he played in his set, and the most notable "Was my name on the guest list or not". This book is more about the author's clubbing experiences whilst attending Sasha's gigs rather than about "Sasha" himself. As the book was titled "God is a DJ" - Sasha I was hoping to experience more of an unofficial autobiography about the man himself from his early days in Chester, Bangor, Moving to Manchester what inspired him and why.

As I witnessed the birth of "Rave" and "House" the clubbing experiences kept my interest, but not so I couldn't put the book down. It is a fair representation of what to expect at the clubs mentioned but of course from the Author's point of view (Not Sasha's).

If your expecting the life story of probably the greatest DJ in the world, you will be disappointed. If your looking to relive some clubbing memories through the eyes of another then you might enjoy it.

In summary, readable but the title is misleading!
on 6 March 2015
Awful book.

I knew the minute the author proclaimed to never having taken drugs I should have stopped there. I mean what?? The entire scene was about taking drugs I'm afraid, Not about obsessively following someone about. The tag ‘E-generation’ gives that away somewhat. At that point i should have realised that I had nothing what-so-ever in common with this guy apart from he frequented the same places.

The stories are dull, really dull and Its really poorly written. I had to stop reading it for long periods, infact I've not even finished it. The grammar is dreadful, it doesn't flow and the author annoyingly persistently repeats himself with the same names and scenarios in each chapter. If I never see the words ‘The man like’ again it will be too soon. Its fairly amateur and this is reflected with a fair amount of inaccuracies on dates and information.

To be honest It all comes across as a bit creepy. Someone desperate to be part of the inner sanctum of the Sasha entourage but seemingly never quite getting there. More of a stalker/hanger on around the periphery.

I was part of this 'scene' myself, especially Venue 44, Shelley’s and the Hac and this book didn't rekindle any of it for me personally. I’m afraid having hardly any memory of it at all is the only way to recall those days. Above all I wasn't getting what I thought I was going to get. Its not a book about Sasha , Its the memoirs of a man with an unhealthy obsession for him, This left me feeling really awkward at times.

Sasha now lives in New York.
on 9 July 2015
Not all that insightful. I've been at a number of these events myself over the years and also found them awe-inspiring and amazing moments in my life and have been lucky enough to have guest list access due to working in the industry. However I found the constant referral to and over emphasis on the guest list grating throughout the book and often at the expense of the real story of Sasha and the actual career development of one of the worlds greatest DJs. This could have been so much more!