on 27 August 2015
Here we have very young Mary (c 21/22) married to Sherlock in his 60s. An apparently contented and cerebral marriage but, maybe, with a touch of weariness, or mixed feelings on Holmes' part in relation this latest case involving an apparently ancient letter and many confusing messages. Why they have to be quite so confusing and obscure in some instances as the case unfolded was lost on me. Sure...the style is engaging and feels authentic for its time. BUT...here is a character that 'tells the story' (supposedly) of academic integrity and just blows it. I shall not spell it out here, as, in the event you love this book, it would spoil it for you. But it just did not ring true for me. Sorry. Laurier King. I think you lost sight of your guiding star here, for me.
on 14 August 2015
I am enjoying this series, even though at times Holmes is frustratingly Doyle-ish....by which I mean the clinging to the "elementary" and use of interpreting minutiae. There is a faint move to allow of his becoming open to intuition, but merely a whisper, not followed up. I enjoy the scholarly bent, although more of a leaning towards actual historical fact and less academic (almost rabbinic) musings would be nice. I disagree with other reviews who label this novel as a bit slow. The solution may have been disappointingly realistic, but the nuances and emerging feminism are quite fascinating. Mary, despite her rational writing, is undoubtedly eccentric, and therefore not that easy to identify with.
on 11 May 2014
I love this series of books and had by accident started with the 10th. I have read 7 of them now and I felt this is perhaps the weakest for me. The plot subject was excellent and could have been much more explosive. The book certainly began with all the promise of another excellent book from L King but at the end I felt 'well is that it...'. I had guessed the perpetrator half way through, and the plot began to loose pace. I persevered for the 'why' but was left with a vague sense of disappointment. However , because I have already read some of the later books I would say anyone starting out with this series persevere it does get much, much better.
2 people found this helpful
on 15 April 2010
This is the third novel in the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series of detective novels written by Laurie R. King. I love the entire series, but this is one of my favourites, and I've found myself returning to it again and again.

King's depiction of Mary Russell is compelling - she gives her character a unique, feminist, intelligent voice which is often hard to find in contemporary fiction. Mary Russell is a woman you feel you'd like to get to know better. King's genius is in making Sherlock Holmes into a supporting actor in the stories - he is the same Holmes that Conan Doyle wrote, but he is humanised in his retirement, and his under-stated love for Mary Russell. The central relationship between the two is beautifully drawn, and King displays a deftness of touch which keeps you coming back for more.

The mystery at the heart of the book is worthy of Conan Doyle, and is solved in appropriate fashion, with Holmes and Russell working in partnership. King enjoys showing off her erudition here, and the themes of an Apocryphal document purportedly from Mary Magdalene, containing explosive information about Mary Magdalene's status, is handled with such aplomb that Dan Brown ought to weep into his coffee.

Highly recommend this engaging, intriguing, and fantastically well written book.
3 people found this helpful
on 16 September 2015
I am working my way through this series of novels, which takes the Sherlock Holmes story forward in an unexpected yet totally believable way. The books are told through the eyes of his new partner, the much younger Mary Russell, who unlike Watson is Holmes' intellectual match. I have really enjoyed the three I have read so far and am now looking forward to beginning the fourth. It's refreshing to find such imaginative and well-written "period" novels, worthy to take up where Conan Doyle left off.
on 10 January 2018
I love these books. I find they are well written, the story line moves quickly and the description of the age is fascinating. I feel as though I am in that period.
on 5 August 2014
Ms King has written a series of books that make Sherlock Homes a more rounded character. The books do not upset the die-hard Holmes fans and I doubt that Conan Doyle would be in the least put out by the added dimension to his character, in fact I think he would be slightly envious.
One person found this helpful
on 27 November 2017
Love this author
on 1 March 2018
Start with first one, The Beekeeper's Apprentice so you know the background to Sherlock and Mary. This is the 3rd in the series and I love them all.
on 12 June 2017