on 28 July 2016
Just love this book! It lead me to read more from Mr McArdle, who writes wonderful fantasy books with a touch of realism, I haven't read one book that I haven't enjoyed from this author and look forward to every new release.
on 15 September 2014
Well written with lots of well presented & researched facts which made the story flow and believable. Really enjoyed this book.
on 19 February 2016
Not impressed
on 6 December 2012
This was a really interesting premise and one that could only be written well by someone who knows the ropes. This is clearly the case with McArdle. How would modern elite soldiers compare with the elite of the past - great idea. The book was a real page turner and it even moved me in parts. My only criticism would be the formatting. In places it seemed to be out of sync with the rest of the book and a few typos slowed the reading down occasionally. The use of two characters speaking within the same paragraph also could cause a little confusion. having said that, it really didn't spoil the story. I'd like to read a sequel to this, but can see that would be very difficult to pull off. As the book stands, I'd highly recommend it for anyone who likes a good rip-roaring adventure. If the book is proof read and sorted I'd give this 5 stars.
on 18 February 2013
Super read that's hard to put down, superb pace with an elegant first person delivery. I would recommend this classic to everyone.
on 24 January 2016
What a great read. I loved this book.

Highly recommemded
on 8 August 2012
There are many stories that involve modern military timeslipping into our past and over-whelming some blade wielding foe and this is a good example of the genre.
Never before considered the Australian SAS, but the description of the men and their actions all seemed plausible. The characters were pretty well developed and the story sets off at a fair pace. The whole mission into Iraq seemed accurate and was itself gripping.
Then the drop through time and space. I found I struggled with the early part of the "SAS meets the Danes" section. There were all sorts of issues for the reader to overcome - the ease at which all the farmers adopted English was something that just had to be tolerated for the sake of the story. But I also was unconfortable with the way the soldiers behaved. They didn't survey the village for long, they split up and billeted all over the village, didn't really protect their gear......the list goes on.
Once you park this lot, you can get back to enjoying the story. Some of the actions were predictable (defeating the raiders - hooray! This is the sort of thing we started the book in the first place for). There were plenty of unexpected plot twists, loads of action, a good romp across tribal Europe and a satisfying ending. What more can you ask for. More? Certainly!

I got it for free, but would happily have paid for it. Will look out for more from this author.
on 9 June 2012
This book is unusual in it's plot, but delivers plausible action. It is well written, and draws you in. The characters are well rounded, the action is non-stop, and the switch from modern day to a thousand years ago is (OK unbelievable) the great twist. I would have paid for this, and will look out for more from this author
on 12 August 2013
I downloaded this over a year ago and finally got around to reading it this week, so I had completely forgotten the jacket blurb.
This meant that I started to read what i thought was a fairly standard SAS-type adventure story, until the time travelling twist occurred.
I won't spoil it for others, but I will say that it is a damned good, well written, story.
Recommended.
on 7 January 2012
I love Vikings and Dark Ages tales and I love time travel stories so this tale of an Australian SAS team who went back in time to Denmark in the Dark Ages attracted me from the start.

The first thing that was striking about this story is that the author clearly knew his stuff. The details of the SAS mission in Iraq was authentic and exciting and a damn good read.

The author had clearly done his research on the Norse and Vikings and their expansion into the Russia areas and even as far as Byzantium.

The details of the world which the SAS found them selves in was believable and accurate (I am a writer of Dark Ages fiction myself).

The only area where I believe that the author could have kicked the story up a notch was the reaction of the Norse to the SAS. When the soldiers opened fire with modern weaponry I just feel that the average dark ages person would have been terrified and been totally unsure how to react. He brings this isn later when the SAS ambush a party of warriors but I think a reaction from the villagers they first encounter would have been more profound.

Overall though, given the exciting and well developed fight scenes and the level of research I recommend this novel. Its is new and original and a good read.