on 29 March 2013
This is the first book that I have read by M A Comley - enjoyed it so much that I looked into and purchased other books by this author. Really enjoyed reading them - good plot and pace. Excellent read.
on 9 June 2017
When D.I Lorne Simpkins and D.S. Pete Childs are called to the scene of a murder they have no inkling where this case will lead.Lorne ,wife mother police officer has her own private issues at home.Within 24 hours there is another murder, this time its the first victim's twin..As they gather their team together Arnaud the pathologist an and abrupt clever man does his best to help in the investigation.. Then there is yet another killing this time a young woman..and Lorne is distraught ,feeling helpless..As they forge ahead in their investigation help comes from an unexpected person...someone Lorne believes in..This killer has an agenda of their own..This person is on the edge.As Lorne ,Pete and the team begin to put the pieces together they discover there is going to be a new chief in charge..When all the pieces finally fall into place Lorne is prepared to go where evil lurks in the center of darkness..Can Lorne speak for the sient witnesses..is this invisible killer going to be caught? I have read a few of Mel Comleys books for me this is the standout...I never moved till I finished the last page..Dark...riveting and unputdownable..One of the best books I've read this year..
on 23 February 2017
I cannot believe how long it has took me to get around to reading this book, but for some reason it just kept dropping further and further down my TBR pile. I’m so glad it finally clawed its way to the top.

Lorne Simpkins – recently been promoted to Detective Inspector – suddenly finds herself thrust into the worst case of her career when a headless body is found in the woods. They eventually identify the woman as a wealthy widow living nearby, but it’s when they go to break the news to her sister that the case takes a strange turn.

Before Lorne can start to piece together the macabre murder, a young girl goes missing. Are the cases connected or does she have two killers on the loose?

This book grabbed me from the prologue which, I won’t lie, is utterly brutal. The author pulls absolutely no punches showing you the depths of depravity that the killer in this case will go to, the levels of torture he will inflict on his victims. It is somewhat of a relief when the prologue ends and you are thrust into Lorne’s life.

Lorne’s newly promoted status is putting strain on her marriage; sixteen hour days, a madman on the loose, a boss to impress and a team to lead doesn’t exactly leave a lot of time for house-husband Tom or their child, Charlie and as the cracks begin to show, Lorne time and again chooses her job over her family.

I empathised with Lorne’s plight, but there was the odd time I wanted her, just once, to delegate and choose instead to spend a night with her poor husband who was suffering from a distinct case of cabin fever.

As the victims grow and the puzzle deepens, Lorne is drawn further away from her family and deeper into the horror of the case unfolding before her.

The pace felt just about right – the killer’s motivations were unveiled piece by piece and as Lorne closed in, I found myself reading faster and faster, desperate to get to the end. For me, that’s a key sign of a book that has me hooked.

And the best thing – I’ve discovered a series which has a whole load of other books out that I can devour.
on 11 April 2015
i recently had the privilege of reading an ARC of Mel's latest book Dubious Justice which comes out this month and loved it, I already had the prequel Blind Justice and books 1 & 2 of the Justice Series on my tbr list but hadn't had chance to read them but as soon as I read Dubious I knew I had to go right back to the beginning of the series and start reading them. I wasn't disappointed, Cruel Justice is just as brilliantly written and I was drawn straight into the story of Lorne and her team trying to catch another perpetrator of gruesome crimes while also trying to keep her home life together. I now have all of the books in the Justice series and can't wait to read them. Brilliant work from a fantastic author!!
on 31 August 2015
I had read book 12 in this series and LOVED IT ,so I have started at the beginning with book 1..... This author writes so cleverly that you don't have to read half the book waiting for things to fall in place.... Right from the start your there falling in love with the characters willing them along ....... I'm truly hooked I can't wait to start book 2 ...... I have found an author who I won't ever forget ,I'm a FAN . If your looking for an author that you can be assured her work will be 100% enjoyable this is the author for you ..........
on 24 February 2017
I didn't know what to expect, but I'd heard good things about the author so gave it a chance.
Would it be another whodunit by numbers style book or would it have more to offer?
I was pleasantly surprised and found myself struggling to put it down and read it over two days.
Even though I thought the main character wasn't at all likeable, the way she was written fitted with a number of high ranking career obsessed policewomen I have known over the years. Despite this, I still rooted for her and was pleased with how the story was wrapped up.
This is the first book I have read from Mel and I look forward to reading more.
Thanks Mel!
on 5 April 2017
This book requires a bit more editing not because of typos but some bits don't hang together or make sense. Like the time Lorne speaks to Mrs Nicholls about her sister. She finds out the woman is an identical twin and when sees a picture of both women she realises it's the sister that's been murdered - yet the corpse was found without a head. At other times, evidence appears out of nowhere. It's a good first novel and if you like detective stories with a strong female lead, you'll like this one.
on 11 January 2015
I had downloaded this book and it sat on my kindle for ages before I decided to give it a read. What a mistake that was!! I was hooked. Lorne is a fantastic character and this book had me reading every second I could. In fact, I finished the book within 24 hours as I just had to know how it ended. What I liked most about the book was the fact that each page had me gasping, shouting and wondering what would happen next. Only a few books have actually done that to me. After reading this book I downloaded the whole Justice series and am so glad I did as Mel Comley's writing style leaves you on the edge of your seat wanting more!!
on 6 March 2016
Came across this author accidentally and so glad I did. Each of the seat thriller. Someone is going around killing women. Unlike a lot of other books the police work together to solve the crime. The main character is Lorne and we get an insight to her life. If you like Chris Carter you will enjoy this author.
on 4 May 2016
Yup. Loved it. Characterisations great. Interplay of characters great, even one from the past. Foul deeds galore. Yup. Loved it. Now I'm going onto Amazon to get the rest in the series.